Expired Hot Deals

[London Drugs] Canon Maxify MB2720 Wireless Home Office All-in-One Printer $129.99

[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2004
1993 posts
367 upvotes

[London Drugs] Canon Maxify MB2720 Wireless Home Office All-in-One Printer $129.99

Seems like a good deal for an AIO laser color printer. Bought two. Free shipping.
Canon Maxify MB2720 Wireless Home Office All-in-One Printer
12 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2003
1610 posts
443 upvotes
Pretty sure this is an inkjet, not laser printer.
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2008
3039 posts
1881 upvotes
Montreal
That's not laser.

Its an ok price for an average printer. Canon is really on its last legs for consumer printers
Dec 14, 2006
61 posts
73 upvotes
Confirmed, it is indeed an inkjet and not a laser printer:
Print Speed (up to)

Black: FPOT (Black): 6 Seconds - ESAT (Black): 24.0 ipm1
Colour: FPOT (Colour): 7 Seconds - ESAT (Colour): 15.5 ipm1

Number of Nozzles

Pigment Black: 1,280 / Colour: 3,072 / Total: 4,352

Print Resolution (Up to)

Up to 600 x 1200 dpi8

Ink Compatibility

PGI-1200 Black - 12.4 ml (Std) / 34.7 ml (XL)
PGI-1200 Cyan - 4.5 ml (Std) / 12.0 ml (XL)
PGI-1200 Magenta - 4.5 ml (Std) / 12.0 ml (XL)
PGI-1200 Yellow - 4.5 ml (Std) / 12.0 ml (XL)

Up to 1,200 Black & White / 900 Colour Pages when using XL ink tanks.
https://www.canon.ca/en/product?name=MA ... ers/Maxify
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
4113 posts
4202 upvotes
Vancouver
dainfamous41 wrote: Is this a good printer?
No, this is not a good printer, nor a good price. We purchased this printer from LD for $99 a couple of years ago.

It prints well enough, and the scanner is quite good, but the main problem is the HORRIBLE startup time and the HUGE amount of ink it wastes. If it has been sitting idle for a more than a day, it takes 10 MINUTES of head-cleaning to get started. If it decides that a full calibration is needed, the startup takes 20 MINUTES. During that time you can visibly see the ink levels dropping. I estimate that it takes 5-8% of the ink for head cleaning every time it does a regular starup, and twice that for a calibration. Ink cartridges last for only a fraction of their rated pages because of that. It's a very poor design by Canon, worst of a long line of Canon printers we've owned.

Do not buy this printer.
Apr 20, 2011
589 posts
30 upvotes
Scarborough
Scote64 wrote: No, this is not a good printer, nor a good price. We purchased this printer from LD for $99 a couple of years ago.

It prints well enough, and the scanner is quite good, but the main problem is the HORRIBLE startup time and the HUGE amount of ink it wastes. If it has been sitting idle for a more than a day, it takes 10 MINUTES of head-cleaning to get started. If it decides that a full calibration is needed, the startup takes 20 MINUTES. During that time you can visibly see the ink levels dropping. I estimate that it takes 5-8% of the ink for head cleaning every time it does a regular starup, and twice that for a calibration. Ink cartridges last for only a fraction of their rated pages because of that. It's a very poor design by Canon, worst of a long line of Canon printers we've owned.

Do not buy this printer.
Thanks for the solid review. Looking for a wireless, inkjet printer, ideally with only 2 ink reservoirs (black + colour), not sure if they are still made these days.
Sep 7, 2006
5 posts
7 upvotes
I still have an HP x476DW and it's an inkjet as fast as a laser. These inkjets like the Canon that's listed here have a different type of head with multiple nozzles that leads to super fast printing. I've had color lasers before and modern office super fast inkjets are nearly as fast and MUCH more cost effective (ink vs color toner). Period.

Used to print ~500 color pages a month for a business on the HP. The cost of color toner would have killed me.

So it depends what you're looking for. Cost effective volume color printing? This is a great deal!

Just remember with inkjets you have to use them once every little while (~1.5 months) or the ink dries inside the nozzles.

Occasional higher quality printing? Color laser is better. Speaking of occasional, note the comment on self cleaning by the poster earlier - if they printed regularly the Canon may not have had to do those cleaning cycles. It's been a while since I've seen any printer deals on RFD period. If you regularly print hundreds of color pages even no name toner gets expensive. If I needed to replace the HP I would get this.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
4113 posts
4202 upvotes
Vancouver
psone wrote: Speaking of occasional, note the comment on self cleaning by the poster earlier - if they printed regularly the Canon may not have had to do those cleaning cycles.
That's exactly the issue. Canon obviously designed the cleaning cycle on this printer with the idea that the printer would be in constant use every day, thus avoiding need for frequent cleaning cycles. If it is used constantly, you are going to find the ink quite expensive, because ink-jet printers using expensive cartridges are not a good choice for volume printing. If it's for occasional printing, then you are going to run into the same problem as we have - the ridiculous startup time and waste of ink on head cleaning. It's a lose-lose design.

Colour laser is better for both volume (lower cost per page) and occasional use (shorter startup time and doesn't waste toner on cleaning). The problem is that colour lasers don't do as good a job as ink jet on printing photos, and the replacement toner cartridges and drums for cheap colour lasers are also ridiculously expensive. For occasional light use, you are better off to buy the printer with starter cartridges, use up the toner, and then throw the printer away and buy a new one on sale.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2006
2589 posts
503 upvotes
I had this printer, recycled it because ink went too fast and it won't print just black and white if the color ink is empty, and got a Brother laser printer instead, never looked back.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
4113 posts
4202 upvotes
Vancouver
Deals Deals Deals wrote: it won't print just black and white if the color ink is empty
I can confirm that drawback too. The colour cartridges are smaller, and get used up at a very rapid rate by head cleaning and need constant replacement, making the larger black ink cartridges pointless.

These are the non-Canon ink cartridges I've been using successfully with it: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00UKPYJ8O

They don't provide even a fraction of the rated number of pages though, and I have to make sure that connection to the internet from the printer is disabled so that Canon can't download a firmware update to disable these non-Canon cartridges.
Sep 18, 2018
71 posts
11 upvotes
which brother printer did you get and what are it's cons?
May 5, 2008
150 posts
108 upvotes
Calgary
Scote64 wrote: No, this is not a good printer, nor a good price. We purchased this printer from LD for $99 a couple of years ago.

Do not buy this printer.
I have one of these too.... It's been nothing but a disaster and I'm looking at a replacement. I ate a whole ink cart today doing deep cleaning. Basically you have to only use canon branded ink too.

I've been happy and had numerous canons over the past 15 years but this is utter garbage and it seems like even their new mega tanks are garbage although ink is cheap AF. Looking at getting an epson I think... Still researching.