• Last Updated:
  • Jan 24th, 2022 5:43 pm
[OP]
Jun 10, 2006
211 posts
104 upvotes
Van City

[London Drugs] [LUKEWARM] Breville Bambino Espresso Machine $299

Not the lowest price (the lowest I saw was $250), but still a decent price for one of the better espresso machines for beginners.
Thread Summary
Shopping for a new coffee maker? Check out RFD Reviews' top picks for the best espresso machines!
10 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 30, 2019
1346 posts
5355 upvotes
Pretty good machine that doesn't take too much space
Nov 26, 2008
990 posts
662 upvotes
GTA
I should make a spreadsheet for all these and the ATL’s.

Every time I read a thread, I do some research and the I go up another level to say a gaggia classic pro and then to a lelit or rancilo or some modded out version of another one.

One of these days!
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2012
15340 posts
9896 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Along with a decent grinder, you can buy a 3rd party bottomless portafilter, run a blank shot with the included pressurized PF first to get it hotter, and then pull a nice sweet shot using a light fresh roast from your favourite roaster.

I’d yank that black plastic inside out of the included holder with the 2 nibs and toss it out, google PSA on the crud that develops in them. Instead of the 3rd party PF, you can also opt to buy a Breville single wall basket to switch out the included dual wall enabling you to grind finer if your shots are tasting sour.

Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2011
1112 posts
772 upvotes
HUNTSVILLE
I'm watching for a deal on the Bambino Plus. This is good for the regular, but I've not seen a noteworthy deal on the plus since I've been watching (only a couple of months)
[OP]
Jun 10, 2006
211 posts
104 upvotes
Van City
hoody123 wrote: I'm watching for a deal on the Bambino Plus. This is good for the regular, but I've not seen a noteworthy deal on the plus since I've been watching (only a couple of months)
The lowest price for the Bambino Plus was the 2021 Boxing Day sale at BB for $429.
Sep 16, 2019
26 posts
197 upvotes
AncasterRFD wrote: Along with a decent grinder, you can buy a 3rd party bottomless portafilter, run a blank shot with the included pressurized PF first to get it hotter, and then pull a nice sweet shot using a light fresh roast from your favourite roaster.

I’d yank that black plastic inside out of the included holder with the 2 nibs and toss it out, google PSA on the crud that develops in them. Instead of the 3rd party PF, you can also opt to buy a Breville single wall basket to switch out the included dual wall enabling you to grind finer if your shots are tasting sour.

Is there any reason to remove the black plastic part other than getting ahead of the crud build up? Also, if I run a blank shot with the included PF, then fill it with coffee, will that result in a hotter pull? I just got a bambino and am looking for ways to improve my shots with it.
Nov 19, 2016
44 posts
27 upvotes
After much consideration between the Bambino and the Gaggia Classic Pro last month, I went with the Bambino and have no regrets.

The Gaggia Classic Pro is good if you plan on diving deep into espresso making as a hobby, but if you just want some good coffee with ease, this is the best option. The Bambino heats up and is ready to use within 10 seconds, which is incredibly fast. The milk frother is more than capable of giving you nice creamy foam. Get a good grinder like the Smart Grinder Pro and you'll be set.

Some downsides I've noticed is how you need to use one hand to hold down the machine when locking in the portafilter. This is due to how light the machine is from being made of plastic. Within this price range, all machines are like this unfortunately.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2011
2417 posts
2076 upvotes
Vancouver
AncasterRFD wrote: Along with a decent grinder, you can buy a 3rd party bottomless portafilter, run a blank shot with the included pressurized PF first to get it hotter, and then pull a nice sweet shot using a light fresh roast from your favourite roaster.

Did you just use needlenose plyers or what to actually get it out? I have been meaning to remove it from mine
Mar 6, 2015
209 posts
446 upvotes
Thanks OP, I've been looking to get into this game for a while. This looks like a good entry level machine to get my feet wet.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2012
15340 posts
9896 upvotes
Southern Ontario
greeener wrote:
Is there any reason to remove the black plastic part other than getting ahead of the crud build up? Also, if I run a blank shot with the included PF, then fill it with coffee, will that result in a hotter pull? I just got a bambino and am looking for ways to improve my shots with it.
evanwier wrote: Did you just use needlenose plyers or what to actually get it out? I have been meaning to remove it from mine
iirc yes, perhaps kelly clamps to yank out the 2 nibs.

If you watch Hoffman's review of the best espresso machine under $500, he pulls out the double wall cup and puts in a single wall as pictured above, however the black plastic piece is still in there and it also has to pass the dual spout holder. That's the puck and 3 layers of pressure to pass through so he says he needs to grind on a coarser setting. He does no pre-heating and his light roast ends up under extracted and he doesn't like the taste.

Even though the machine is ready in 3s, letting it heat up for a few minutes and pulling a blank shot with the included double wall attached to the PF heats the whole system, and the pressure buildup adds heat to the group head (Reddit hack). You want to get it close to 93c or higher for light roasts. Immediately following up and using a 3rd party bottomless portafilter to pull the shot means you're using the puck and 1 layer to pass through, and you can then grind finer to extract the light roast properly, and I end up with a balanced sweet rich shot (ignore date, I'm done the bag):

However, you do need a consistent espresso burr grinder and to use a proper WDT, one with thin needles (not loops at the end and not thick paper clips). If your grinds are clumpy and/or the puck isn't prepped properly, it may channel and spray. My JX-Pro is actually pretty close to my Eureka in consistency. How to WDT:

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)