Expired Hot Deals

[London Drugs] Monster Black Platinum 1200: 12 Outlet Surge Protector $79.99

[OP]
Mar 21, 2005
205 posts
88 upvotes
Calgary

[London Drugs] Monster Black Platinum 1200: 12 Outlet Surge Protector $79.99

Looks like a pretty decent deal for the typically overly priced Monster brand. I was looking for powerline capabilities and this thing fits the bill. Free shipping over $75.00.

Couldn't find the same thing at BestBuy.ca.
Possible PM opportunity at Visions, but the model number is different in that it doesn't have EF at the end of the product number and it looks slightly different too, so YMMV.
12 replies
Mar 14, 2009
416 posts
526 upvotes
Halifax
You could get a whole house surge protector for that price.
Dec 8, 2001
214 posts
187 upvotes
Here's an equivalent power bar/ surge suppressor for what I would consider a reasonable price: https://www.costco.ca/APC-Performance-S ... 08126.html

If you buy in store, the price is $25. APC is a well-known, long-time manufacturer of UPS's and surge suppressors. I'd grab one of these before the Monster one, even if the price was equivalent.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
3991 posts
2512 upvotes
Vancouver
Its not actually too over priced if you consider it comes with powerline, which will cost about $30 on its own. Of course no idea how good/useful the powerline is but if you need it, could be worthwhile (still $50 for a surge protector is probably over priced).
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
17213 posts
9969 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
dillybravo wrote: You could get a whole house surge protector for that price.
But unless you install it yourself, it would be a few hundred more for installation.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
17213 posts
9969 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Erkdajerk wrote: Here's an equivalent power bar/ surge suppressor for what I would consider a reasonable price: https://www.costco.ca/APC-Performance-S ... 08126.html

If you buy in store, the price is $25. APC is a well-known, long-time manufacturer of UPS's and surge suppressors. I'd grab one of these before the Monster one, even if the price was equivalent.
APC has multiple lines of products... this one is in the lower end consumer level product and while it has two USB ports for charging, they are only 2.4 A combined (as the instructions state that charging two items may slow charging speed). The Monster one has two separate 3.4 A USB charging ports so there's a few bucks there. Also, the Monster one is rated for more power at 3,200 Joules vs the 2,880 on the APC.

Would I pay the regular price of $240 for it? NO. But at $80, it's reasonable.
Sep 8, 2014
564 posts
1858 upvotes
APC has a lifetime warranty. Monster is only 3yr iirc. I had a high end Monster power centre die on me and was shocked they did absolutely nothing about it until I noticed there was no warranty left. Bought nothing but Belkin and APC ever since.
Deal Addict
Jun 19, 2010
2423 posts
1948 upvotes
Calgary
Gee, maybe I'll plug my Bose stuff into it.
In your pants!
Feb 24, 2009
731 posts
259 upvotes
I was able to price match the London drugs unit at visions for $56 after price beat which I would consider a pretty good price thanks op!