Hot Deals

[London Drugs] Samsung 75-in QLED 8K Smart TV - open box ($4499.99)

• Last Updated:
  • May 24th, 2020 10:45 am
[OP]
Feb 17, 2011
488 posts
127 upvotes
Calgary

[London Drugs] Samsung 75-in QLED 8K Smart TV - open box ($4499.99)

This might be a deal for someone.
3 units left online

This is an 8K tv -- maximize your *ahem* pixels

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsu ... 0r-8k-qled
"The Samsung Q900 is an excellent TV for mixed usage. It has an impressive picture quality with good dark room performance that also remains accurate when viewed from the side. It has remarkable motion handling with very little motion blur and fast-moving content, like sports, is crisp. The input lag is very low and the TV responds immediately to your actions, which is great for gamers and those who will use it as a PC monitor."

Comparison with LG C9 OLED
"The Samsung Q900/Q900R 8k QLED and the LG C9 OLED are two different types of TVs, each with advantages and disadvantages. The LG has better dark room performance due to the perfect blacks of its OLED panel. The LG also has wider viewing angles, which is great if you have a large room. The Samsung, on the other hand, has an 8k resolution, can get significantly brighter (which is great for a bright room), and doesn't have the risk of permanent burn-in."
Capture1.PNG
Last edited by revjoeyjohn on May 22nd, 2020 10:20 pm, edited 5 times in total.
41 replies
[OP]
Feb 17, 2011
488 posts
127 upvotes
Calgary
Wow! A lot of hate for this deal. Point me to another deal on an 8K tv?
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2007
3277 posts
2461 upvotes
No Bum Deals
So you'd pay 4.5k to get the thing shipped via third party thug-a-drop™
Thanks but no banana.
🢂 2x Koodo 35/5 - 1x Koodo 39/10 - 1x Fido 0/3 🢀
[OP]
Feb 17, 2011
488 posts
127 upvotes
Calgary
pooper wrote: So you'd pay 4.5k to get the thing shipped via third party thug-a-drop™
Thanks but no banana.
I've had televisions shipped before. If it's broken in shipping, that's not on you.
It's obviously not a budget TV. Buy a Vizio.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2007
3277 posts
2461 upvotes
No Bum Deals
revjoeyjohn wrote: I've had televisions shipped before. If it's broken in shipping, that's not on you.
It's obviously not a budget TV. Buy a Vizio.
I think you missed the point, let alone virtually zero 8k material and also this being one of the first gens.

It's just a bragging item. Useless in real life.
Aug 23, 2019
69 posts
38 upvotes
Kind of early for 8k. There isnt even much of 4k out there.
Dec 16, 2010
695 posts
538 upvotes
Canada
You're barely going to notice a difference with 8k. But more importantly, Rtings has the B9 OLED at significantly better score:

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsu ... 0r-8k-qled

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/b9-oled

I found this YouTube video entertaining when I purchased my B9.

The B9 was $4900 for 77 inches not long ago. Hence, much better deal for a B9 if you ask me.

But to each their own. Enjoy the shopping!
[OP]
Feb 17, 2011
488 posts
127 upvotes
Calgary
pooper wrote: I think you missed the point, let alone virtually zero 8k material and also this being one of the first gens.

It's just a bragging item. Useless in real life.
Sorry. When you were complaining about shipping, I thought your complaint was about shipping. I should have inferred it was that there is very little 8K content out there.

It's about 8K. Yes. It's a bragging item. Yep. Will 8K content continue to be added. Un-huh.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2007
3277 posts
2461 upvotes
No Bum Deals
revjoeyjohn wrote: Sorry. When you were complaining about shipping, I thought your complaint was about shipping. I should have inferred it was that there is very little 8K content out there.

It's about 8K. Yes. It's a bragging item. Yep. Will 8K content continue to be added. Un-huh.
I meant I wouldn't plant 4.5k on something that got shipped to me without my direct involvement.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2007
3277 posts
2461 upvotes
No Bum Deals
...and so, the thread dissolves in to a big pile of poo...
[OP]
Feb 17, 2011
488 posts
127 upvotes
Calgary
You're all entitled to your opinions, but this television can't be directly compared to any 4k television.

Simply put, this can display 8k, they can't.

This is the same argument that people put forward for 4k televisions vs 1080p. "You can't see the difference at ___ distance. They're dumb!" Look at us now.
Dec 16, 2010
695 posts
538 upvotes
Canada
revjoeyjohn wrote: You're all entitled to your opinions, but this television can't be directly compared to any 4k television.

This is the same argument that people put forward for 4k televisions vs 1080p. "You can't see the difference at ___ distance. They're dumb!" Look at us now.
I suggest you watch the video. You may revisit your statement. The human eye can only see so much.

But if an OB 8k LCD floats your boat, enjoy! It's a nice TV.
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2011
3186 posts
337 upvotes
revjoeyjohn wrote: You're all entitled to your opinions, but this television can't be directly compared to any 4k television.

But that's not the argument. The argument is that there's no 8k content to even view on the tv. Pure 4K content is hard enough to get..
Not to mention this is an early 8K model, which will be quickly out performed by future models that will have features that this one will not.

You can compare to 4K televisions because why spend this much on an early model when you can get the best of the best 4K with vastly more content? If you're banking on 8K taking off over the next couple of years, you're still better off buying a high end 4K set since by then 8K sets will be much better than whatever entry 8K televisions are out right now.

Again, it's your choice, but there's definitely a reason to compare it to 4K TVs for those reasons. If you ONLY want 8K, then sure, but again you're left with no content for an 8K screen (you'll be displaying 4K content on it for the most part, and even then it'll most likely be upscaled 1440p)
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2017
1657 posts
3452 upvotes
This is a good deal for this TV if you have some sort of way to inspect the TV beforehand, having purchased demo or open box items from LD before its kind of hit or miss in terms of condition
pooper wrote: I meant I wouldn't plant 4.5k on something that got shipped to me without my direct involvement.
If you own a car, high end appliances, or pretty much anything that costs that much or more, you already have.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2007
3277 posts
2461 upvotes
No Bum Deals
kimwoobingsu wrote: If you own a car, high end appliances, or pretty much anything that costs that much or more, you already have.
If you mean shipping from factory to dealer, vehicles or white goods aren't really part of this equation: Quality control processes are followed as they still belong to the maker / reseller.
Shipping from reseller to customer once sold, now that's where things get rather tricky....