• Feb 7th, 2017 12:19 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2015
1026 posts
639 upvotes
Nanaimo

[London Drugs] Samsung UN65KU6290FXZC 4k TV $1299 on clearance

London Drugs has this on for $1299 on clearance (was $1900). Not available online, this TV is on clearance and has to be ordered from their warehouse. There we 9 left as of a few minutes ago, I'm assuming that's western Canada, but I didn't ask. I know the curved version (6490) was down to $1500 on boxing week at costco, but I don't want the curved version.

Any owners of this TV here want to share their thoughts? Anyone seen it cheaper before? I would prefer to buy from cotsco because of their return policy, but if this is a great deal then it might be worth it.

I'm trying to find the right deal on a TV, but also know that it's year end and more stuff is going to go on clearance.
Last edited by S0lidus on Feb 6th, 2017 7:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
11 replies
Aug 27, 2012
230 posts
143 upvotes
Victoria
I bought the 55" for $899 last week at Costco, and I will be returning it for the following reasons:
- It has built in ads that interrupt a Youtube video every few minutes (really annoying). If I play the same video through AppleTV or PS4pro there are no ads.
- It claims to have HDR, but the actual display is not HDR, so playing HDR games looks weird since the panel can't properly display the signal. Colours are off, and the transitions between colours are off.
-There's flickering on some Netflix 4k videos. No idea why, but it's really bad and probably seizure inducing for some (same video's do not flicker if played through PS4 pro).

On the up side, it turns on instantly, and the Tizen OS loads fast, and plays netflix and Amazon at 4k really speedily and nicely when not flickering.

But it's silly for me to pay that much for a TV and not actually have HDR, so I ordered the Vizio P series. Just waiting for that to arrive so I can compare.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2015
1026 posts
639 upvotes
Nanaimo
Thanks for the review pete93. I know a lot of TVs these days say HDR but aren't true HDR, even Vizio does this. The only way to get a true HDR is to spend about $1000 more, which i can't afford right now.
Nov 28, 2016
209 posts
250 upvotes
I have a 6270, which is almost identical to 6290. It has HDR, but not HDR10. But I do think getting one with true HDR standard will be much better. I don't have any flickering problem while watching Netflix, maybe the firmware update makes things worse?

Anyway, I wouldn't recommend getting this at current price. KS8000 or Vizio(cant remember which series) should be a better bet.
Nov 6, 2016
56 posts
17 upvotes
I think it can process HDR signal, but the panel is not capable of displaying the color (and brightness). It's HDR for the sake of check box. It's still a good panel for this price though.
Nov 22, 2016
476 posts
260 upvotes
Have this TV... Great price. Colours are bright as most Samsung models are. 4k, netflix and upconverting are awesome. Can be issues with Judder but you can manage that with Auto Motion Plus feature (Disable it).
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2015
1026 posts
639 upvotes
Nanaimo
Money4Red wrote: I have a 6270, which is almost identical to 6290. It has HDR, but not HDR10. But I do think getting one with true HDR standard will be much better. I don't have any flickering problem while watching Netflix, maybe the firmware update makes things worse?

Anyway, I wouldn't recommend getting this at current price. KS8000 or Vizio(cant remember which series) should be a better bet.
The 6270 is the exact same TV, except without component and composite inputs; however, the 6270 doesn't come in larger sizes than 60". I would love the KS8000, but I don't think I'll be able to get an extra $800 together before they are sold out (hopefully I'm wrong).

As others are saying, it has HDR, but it's just a checkbox. It might be bright, but It's not a 10 bit panel, so it won't be able to to display the wide color gamut of HDR.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2015
1026 posts
639 upvotes
Nanaimo
dvdvideo wrote: I get ads on Xbox one as well......I think you need to get used to that......
yeah ads are everywhere unless you use an adblock software. I don't get ads on my PC because I block them, but I get ads on my phone for example. so i'm not too worried about that. i probably wouldn't use the tv for youtube anyways.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2010
7625 posts
5135 upvotes
Canada
It's a good price and a good tv
It was $1489 on Black friday and boxing day.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2004
6205 posts
620 upvotes
Toronto
Bought this for 1599 at Costco in Boxing Day, still not sure if I will return it...
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2012
1678 posts
1015 upvotes
Langley
I have to say I am very happy I DID NOT bite the bullet at $888 last week for the 55" 6290 at Costco because truthfully the only advantage over the 55" Haier for $399 (when I bought it) is the fact that the Samsung 6290 can "process" HDR and has smart functionality (of which I have no use). The colour and image quality to me is no different when I had them side by side. Yes the Samsung has a more polished look both physical and digital (menu's) but to me not worth the $500 premium as a stop gap or even for everyday use. Just my two cents.