Hot Deals

[London Drugs] Sony X950G 65” - $1399

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 1st, 2020 6:38 am
Oct 1, 2017
120 posts
192 upvotes
Thunder Bay
I'd still hold out for the 900H, as it has HDMI 2.1, or go for a C9. I wouldn't buy a TV without it right now, considering I tend to buy TV's on the expectation of long term performance (I'm using a Samsung 6 series I bought when they first came out still).

These are really nice though, I had the chance to get a 55" 950 for $600 because of a minor flaw and I probably should have.
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
12547 posts
6404 upvotes
Southern Ontario
OTA, NF, D+, kodi, YT, APKTime apps including stream live TV, no cable. Fast CPU, all in same TV/remote, no separate android box. Quick at mirroring my iPhone’s 4K DIY video.

Took a USB with varied content to Bestbuy last year, Blu-ray looks great but lesser quality looks worse on their Sony OLED (showcase calibrated). No brainer if your 950G is going in a daylit room. I’d only do OLED in a theatre room with premium content.

$1400 is a bargain, better than $1900-$290 in Costco gift cards last deal.

Oct 17, 2006
737 posts
64 upvotes
AncasterRFD wrote: OTA, NF, D+, kodi, YT, APKTime apps including stream live TV, no cable. Fast CPU, all in same TV/remote, no separate android box. Quick at mirroring my iPhone’s 4K DIY video.
Which app would you recommend for OTA?
Dec 12, 2013
49 posts
56 upvotes
Apparently Sony stopped that hacked firmware from happening anymore and have gone to great lengths to lock the firmware’s down moving forward. There are a lot of angry Sony Tv owners complaining that their TVs actually have full 2.1 spec’d hardware on them but are being crippled by firmware. Check out this conversation on reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/bravia/comment ... ame=iossmf
Feb 3, 2013
226 posts
176 upvotes
Victoria
adams7 wrote: Great TV at a great price, OP. I have the predecessor 900F 65", paid in effect 1800+tax Black Friday 2018. I would like the Apple compatibility stuff they added to the 950G.

London Drugs had the 900F 65" a few weeks ago for 1399, maybe they have those even cheaper now. I'm surprised a lot of stores still have the 900F series as it's now over 2 years since it first was available in stores.
I picked up the 55" 900F at London Drugs in early January this year for $995. It was BNIB and is an excellent TV. Much better than the Samsung NU8000 that it replaced.
Feb 13, 2019
109 posts
31 upvotes
ca_gascon wrote: DEMO units usually are sold as new. Bought a C8 DEMO unit from LD and immediately got the OLED replaced under warranty.
Was there a defect with it ?
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2010
1027 posts
827 upvotes
Programmer97 wrote: Was there a defect with it ?
Burn in. The local service replaced the panel free of charge, including labour. 🤣🤣🤣 I had a B6 too with BURN IN after watching the same news channel everyday.
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
12547 posts
6404 upvotes
Southern Ontario
TypeVR6 wrote: 950G = 950H.
Sweet, did you retain all apps and settings or did you do a factory reset first/after, as it appears some had wifi/BT issue after update method.

Edit: Looks like it needs link to a non-official file source as Sony locked it
Deal Fanatic
Apr 1, 2006
5144 posts
418 upvotes
StefanW499 wrote: Apparently Sony stopped that hacked firmware from happening anymore and have gone to great lengths to lock the firmware’s down moving forward. There are a lot of angry Sony Tv owners complaining that their TVs actually have full 2.1 spec’d hardware on them but are being crippled by firmware. Check out this conversation on reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/bravia/comment ... ame=iossmf
Yes but they will eventually open it up for the 950H panels and that firmware works on the 950G as it is exactly the same internals.
C:\RFD>ih8lowballers.bat_
Deal Fanatic
Apr 1, 2006
5144 posts
418 upvotes
AncasterRFD wrote: Sweet, did you retain all apps and settings or did you do a factory reset first/after, as it appears some had wifi/BT issue after update method.

The firmware were all official Sony firmware. I grabbed it from their site. Had to do a factory reset after the H update.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 1, 2006
5144 posts
418 upvotes
AncasterRFD wrote: Sweet, did you retain all apps and settings or did you do a factory reset first/after, as it appears some had wifi/BT issue after update method.

Just confirmed the 950H firmware is still available on the 85” download page.
Oct 23, 2014
58 posts
39 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Wow this is such a good deal! I purchased the XBR65X930E in Feb 2018 for like ~$2,200 open box cuz I really wanted to upgrade my tv. Enjoyed it thoroughly watching sports and movies. And this is an upgraded version too.. I'd totally recommend getting this if you're looking to purchase a new tv.
Nov 15, 2007
283 posts
38 upvotes
Toronto
just to confirm, are these open box/used? or bnib?

site says open box/floor model, but maybe i'm misreading OP or have missed something in the thread.
Jan 21, 2018
171 posts
33 upvotes
Shipping fee for local order is $49.99?? :( there’s also a levy fee $25.

What’s the return policy like at London drugs?

*edit: called London drugs, return policy is the same for open box or brand new items.

Pulled the trigger. Total comes to $1648!
Last edited by justlooking90 on May 22nd, 2020 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.