[London Drugs] Sony X950G 65” - $1399

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 1st, 2020 6:38 am
Deal Addict
Apr 16, 2009
1265 posts
498 upvotes
Vancouver
mattdominic wrote: can you explain more about this HDMI 2.1 thing and which sony models are currently carrying it ?? will be helpful option to other gaming enthusiasts
Based off this, the 950G and 950H have the same hardware, which includes HDMI 2.1 - however Sony limited the firmware so they're only working as 2.0 right now. So technically they have the capability for VRR, HDMI 2.1, etc. for PS5 and the new xbox...but it's up to Sony to allow it in the firmware.
Nov 26, 2016
40 posts
38 upvotes
mattdominic wrote: can you explain more about this HDMI 2.1 thing and which sony models are currently carrying it ?? will be helpful option to other gaming enthusiasts
Only the 900H can do HDMI 2.1 out of the box.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 1, 2006
5144 posts
418 upvotes
Sgt_Strider wrote: So if I buy this TV now, is it still possible to install the hacked firmware? If so and after updating to 950H, will I be able install the latest 950H firmwares in the future?
Hacked Firmware is no longer available. Loophole has been plugged.

The only option you have now is to either stay on the most current 950G firmware or download and install the 950H firmware. Again, 120hz/vrr is still locked but expected to open up for the 950H only. This is why there is such an uproar now, it’s the exact same TV as the G but only H will get the features. If you install the H firmware you should be good for 120/vrr.

However, there are immediate improvements which you can benefit from and have been confirmed by other users on avsforums - all Bluetooth issues have been addressed, motion handling is much better and of course the menu is a ++.

The theory on AVSFORUMS is that there is a very good chance Sony is going to push an update which will block the ability to use the H firmware. So if you’re going to do it, now is the time.
C:\RFD>ih8lowballers.bat_
Jan 21, 2018
171 posts
33 upvotes
warplane wrote: Only the 900H can do HDMI 2.1 out of the box.
If the tv can only do HDMI 2.0, and ps5 is HDMI 2.1, what is the issue I will be facing? Does it mean I can’t use ps5 on this tv?
Feb 14, 2008
275 posts
116 upvotes
justlooking90 wrote: If the tv can only do HDMI 2.0, and ps5 is HDMI 2.1, what is the issue I will be facing? Does it mean I can’t use ps5 on this tv?
You can still use it. Just may be resolution/framerate limitations.. although I doubt PS5 will be THAT ground breaking.
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
12547 posts
6404 upvotes
Southern Ontario
setlist wrote: Can any kind RFDer with this TV in possession already do a quick actual width measurement for me? I have a spot where this could go but it's got EXACTLY 57" of space and not a millimetre to spare. I'm hoping the listed 57" width is a hair more than reality before I buy this.

Thanks!
I measure exactly 57" (Lufkin tape) but are your verticals true, bottom/middle/top of space? I'd feel more comfortable if it was at least 57" 1/16.
Nov 23, 2017
19 posts
3 upvotes
Abbotsford
Found an open box 55 inch version of this for 999.99$ at my local London drugs. Is that worth or no?
Aug 30, 2015
427 posts
420 upvotes
BC
AncasterRFD wrote: I measure exactly 57" (Lufkin tape) but are your verticals true, bottom/middle/top of space? I'd feel more comfortable if it was at least 57" 1/16.
Thanks. I'm not at that location presently but I found a photo of a measuring tape showing 57 1/4" ... /phew!
Aug 30, 2015
427 posts
420 upvotes
BC
Would anyone have access to the cardboard box dimensions? Since it's a pick up for me I need to make sure it'll fit (Volvo XC90).
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2008
7267 posts
1537 upvotes
Mont-Royal
no london drugs in qc, but shoppers have some 55 inch tv. quite cheap i think
"Every marathon you run, your heart scars and you will die faster. If you think running a marathon is fitness, then you know NOTHING ABOUT HEALTH & FITNESS."
- Training 101
Nov 26, 2016
40 posts
38 upvotes
setlist wrote: Would anyone have access to the cardboard box dimensions? Since it's a pick up for me I need to make sure it'll fit (Volvo XC90).
Found this here:
https://www.cnet.com/products/sony-xbr-65x950g/specs/

Dimensions & Weight (Shipping)

Shipping Width
61.1 in
Shipping Depth
7.5 in
Shipping Height
37.6 in
Shipping Weight
70.55 lbs
Width (Shipping)
61.1 in
Weight (Shipping)
70.55 lbs
Nov 26, 2016
40 posts
38 upvotes
Depends on what the PS5 and the TV can support, but HDMI 2.1 bring:
Dynamic HDR
eARC
VRR (Same thing as Freesync or VSync)
Quick Media Switching
Quick Frame Transport
Auto Low Latency Mode
Display Stream Compression
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
12547 posts
6404 upvotes
Southern Ontario
TypeVR6 wrote: Hacked Firmware is no longer available. Loophole has been plugged.

The only option you have now is to either stay on the most current 950G firmware or download and install the 950H firmware. Again, 120hz/vrr is still locked but expected to open up for the 950H only. This is why there is such an uproar now, it’s the exact same TV as the G but only H will get the features. If you install the H firmware you should be good for 120/vrr.

However, there are immediate improvements which you can benefit from and have been confirmed by other users on avsforums - all Bluetooth issues have been addressed, motion handling is much better and of course the menu is a ++.

The theory on AVSFORUMS is that there is a very good chance Sony is going to push an update which will block the ability to use the H firmware. So if you’re going to do it, now is the time.
Thanks for your original info. True, Sony could very well patch the bridge in the next update. To remind readers, they are the exact same TV except speakers. If people have questions or concerns, read through the thread. For example if Sony instead blocks future H updates, just update to the newest G (if you even want it). The potential right now is closing that door to allow H at all. I'm proceeding.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd- ... k-175.html

I don't recall all the improvements beyond android UI but this stood out as well: