Hot Deals

[London Drugs] Sony X950G 65” - $1399

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 1st, 2020 6:38 am
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
26286 posts
6553 upvotes
PC_Cola wrote: Can a TV expert help me out here. I bought a Vizio M Series M658-G1 for $699.99 at Costco when they had $300 dollars off based on good reviews. The Rtings rating is 7.9 Mixed Usage, 8.5 for Movies, and 8.3 for HDR Movies as seen here: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/vizio ... antum-2019

However, I haven't been really impressed with it. So I've been looking for an upgrade. This X950G deal seems like everyone thinks its hot hot hot. But looking at the Rtings it's got an 8.0 mixed usage, 8.3 Movies, and 8.2 for HDR Movies as seen here: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x950g

So the X950G would be double what I paid for my Vizio, but the Movie performance and HDR performance is worse than the Vizio? is that right? Does this mean this wouldn't be the upgrade I am looking for and I should be shooting for a true OLED then if I want to see a better picture?
So here's the thing. Don't use Rtings ratings (scores?) the way you're doing it. Unfortunately Rtings scores are misleading because people just take them at face value which is definitely the thing not to do. It's like using Rotten Tomatoes or other review aggregators as being a sole indicator of whether a movie is good or not. I mean Rtings is not an aggregator to be clear, but their scores have a lot of hidden details. Now the details aren't really all that "hidden" because they explain all of this in quite a lot of detail and you can use their comparator system to custom-tailor your own scores based on what's important to you.

However this is the thing, the reality is in the details. Rtings scores are weighted a certain way, and a lot of the weighting doesn't really make sense to many, and also may not make sense on a personal level--i.e. the things you consider important and the material/content you view. If you look in the comments on various reviews you'll see that several people have often made the same comments/observations/critiques regarding their reviews. You have to read into the details and not go by the "out of 10 scores" as some kind of absolute because a lot of times a TV that scores the same or similar...or possibly even lower than another actually performs significantly better in reality. I would go on more about this but there was one post I came across on there that very beautifully talks about this. It's a comment on the TCL 8-series review and the person reflects on the scores in comparison with the Z9D, a TV that is to him, a much better TV in reality than the 8-series, despite scoring "only" 0.3 better in the overall score. Also the Z9D itself got "only" an 8.3 in their overall score but the TV is much better than the score would suggest, with many people considering it among the best LCDs Sony has ever made.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/discussions/5 ... he-details

Again there are lots of comments like this if you start reading the comment/question sections of their reviews. This is really not to say their scores are useless, but they just aren't that good to judge sets on, on their own. Instead you can use their comparator and it will give you a much better idea of what is what. Also careful attention to the actual review and not just the number scores tells a big story as well. The problem with Rtings is they do very in-depth and thorough testing and so all the information you need is there really. However people are generally lazy and just want the "TLDR" of it, which the Rtings scores really don't do well at providing. I suggest people looking for reviews like that, look elsewhere, because the Rtings number scores are somewhat indicative of performance but they're not and end-all and be-all of how a TV performs compared to another.

The way I think of it, any TV that has an 8 or higher overall score @ Rtings, is probably a pretty good TV. However a TV that has an 8.2 might be better in various areas than one with an 8.6, but you would never know that unless you read the details in the review.
warplane wrote: Depends on what the PS5 and the TV can support, but HDMI 2.1 bring:
Dynamic HDR
HDMI 2.1 doesn't "bring" that. Dolby Vision is already Dynamic HDR. HDR10+ is also dynamic, and doesn't require 2.1.
warplane wrote: eARC
VRR (Same thing as Freesync or VSync)
Auto Low Latency Mode
None of these require 2.1 either, there are many TVs that have one or more of these that do not have HDMI 2.1.
warplane wrote: Quick Media Switching
Quick Frame Transport
Nearly meaningless features. Allows for more seamless transitions and switches but I doubt any one is so annoyed by those things that they think this is some Godsend or something.
warplane wrote: Display Stream Compression
Only useful for 8K+ resolution--not even used for 4K, except possibly able to be used for 4K HFR or RGB 4:4:4 10-bit or higher. Speaking of HFR you actually forgot to list that one, though again guess what, the Q90R has that too and it doesn't need 2.1, at least not for 4k 8-bit 4:2:0 @ 120Hz. Though higher colour may require it, it's still HFR IMO since it's 4k/120 nonetheless.

Also none of these features are mandatory 2.1 features. A TV can be "HDMI 2.1" and not have many of those just the same. So the question is what does 2.1 really do for you on a 4K TV? Nothing in particular. So no folks HDMI 2.1 is not the next coming of Christ, it's just a fluffy number that people are going bananas about when they don't even know why. Mostly the weird people always on about meaningless nonsense like "future proofing", etc.
Aug 8, 2005
82 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto
162 wrote: update went smooth thanks for the info
Did you use the firmwares on the link? Is it still good or did sony patch the loopholes?
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2005
4942 posts
667 upvotes
the 950G to 950H work just fine on the link
Nov 18, 2014
289 posts
307 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Honestly if you're going to LD for this make sure that they don't have a B9 because it is worth the extra $500. I auditioned the 950G and it's nice but if you're not getting the B9 because of budget then I would go for the TCL 6 series, Hisense H9 or Vizio and save yourself a few more bucks for basically equally good tvs to the Sony.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
26286 posts
6553 upvotes
FearlessSaver wrote: Honestly if you're going to LD for this make sure that they don't have a B9 because it is worth the extra $500. I auditioned the 950G and it's nice but if you're not getting the B9 because of budget
Ah yes the ol' "only buy OLED" routine :rolleyes:
FearlessSaver wrote: then I would go for the TCL 6 series, Hisense H9 or Vizio and save yourself a few more bucks for basically equally good tvs to the Sony.
:rolleyes: Are you kidding? 6-series is an option but that set has its common flaws and is a 60Hz panel, and though yes it is very good performance is not at the level of a Sony X9xx TV.

Hisense H9F or Q9809 is $1500 for the 65". You're telling me you want to spend the same or more on a Hisense instead of a Sony??? Are you feeling okay? What fool would do something like that?

Vizio, again to get a TV this level will cost you the same or more, plus knowing Vizio it's gonna break in two days.

Let's not even forget none of the TVs mentioned, including the OLED, except the possibility of a Vizio PX will match the X950G's HDR performance. In fact the B9 sucks donkey balls for HDR performance so yeah, deal with it.

It's almost uncanny the "arguments" the OLED fanboys and Sony haters will dream up as reasons not to buy a Sony :lol: This time the one argument that usually holds true (price premium) isn't even valid as it's an 65X950 for $1400. Gimme a break...buy Hisense instead :rolleyes: Get outta here!!!
Nov 25, 2015
25 posts
7 upvotes
Montr
Ordered with shipping. Ill update when I receive it. Still love the Pioneer Elite but its time for an update
Nov 18, 2014
289 posts
307 upvotes
Calgary, AB
ES_Revenge wrote: Ah yes the ol' "only buy OLED" routine :rolleyes:

:rolleyes: Are you kidding? 6-series is an option but that set has its common flaws and is a 60Hz panel, and though yes it is very good performance is not at the level of a Sony X9xx TV.

Hisense H9F or Q9809 is $1500 for the 65". You're telling me you want to spend the same or more on a Hisense instead of a Sony??? Are you feeling okay? What fool would do something like that?

Vizio, again to get a TV this level will cost you the same or more, plus knowing Vizio it's gonna break in two days.

Let's not even forget none of the TVs mentioned, including the OLED, except the possibility of a Vizio PX will match the X950G's HDR performance. In fact the B9 sucks donkey balls for HDR performance so yeah, deal with it.

It's almost uncanny the "arguments" the OLED fanboys and Sony haters will dream up as reasons not to buy a Sony :lol: This time the one argument that usually holds true (price premium) isn't even valid as it's an 65X950 for $1400. Gimme a break...buy Hisense instead :rolleyes: Get outta here!!!
It's possible to get all the tvs I mentioned for under $999 and I actually auditioned 6 TVs before deciding on the B9 so instead of ragin' like you (wow take a pill or meditate or something man) I actually know what I'm talking about. 950G is pretty overrated, especially for the price ($1399 should have been the BF price), ghosting was really distracting.

"Let's not even forget none of the TVs mentioned, including the OLED, except the possibility of a Vizio PX will match the X950G's HDR performance. In fact the B9 sucks donkey balls for HDR performance so yeah, deal with it."
wow, lol you are truly, truly delusional man and why all the rage and hate??? holy shit man, did OLED kill your dog???

If you are really such a Sony fanboi then the 900F is actually almost a better TV, especially since it usually costs less.

So if the Sony and a B9 would be the same price you would take the Sony and make sweet love to it's ports or what?
Jun 23, 2019
8 posts
13 upvotes
Picked it up yesterday - BNIB!! Set it up and it's a beauty! Cheers OP

**Also completed software update from 950G To 950H software as per recommendactions and it worked smoothly for me.
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
12547 posts
6404 upvotes
Southern Ontario
I did not require the first X950G update (already auto updated it earlier). Then did the X950H update via USB, then restored it to factory (a necessary step because Bluetooth doesn’t work right). The IR part of the remote still works. Re-connected the BT part of the remote. Re-installed all my apps and logins, also APKTime apps.

It gives you AndroidTV (looks like Android8 but different expanded settings menu). And I definitely notice the new local dimming algorithms, blacks are deeper on default and better than what I could achieve calibrating. Put on some 4K OLED test vids and my family noticed it too. And also motion is smoother. Maybe Sony will unlock the other features in the future. Turned my G into an H.
[OP]
Jul 19, 2019
13 posts
76 upvotes
AncasterRFD wrote: I did not require the first X950G update (already auto updated it earlier). Then did the X950H update via USB, then restored it to factory (a necessary step because Bluetooth doesn’t work right). The IR part of the remote still works. Re-connected the BT part of the remote. Re-installed all my apps and logins, also APKTime apps.

It gives you AndroidTV (looks like Android8 but different expanded settings menu). And I definitely notice the new local dimming algorithms, blacks are deeper on default and better than what I could achieve calibrating. Put on some 4K OLED test vids and my family noticed it too. And also motion is smoother. Maybe Sony will unlock the other features in the future. Turned my G into an H.
Curious if anyone thinks they’ll void Sony’s warranty by doing this update.
Nov 19, 2014
917 posts
1429 upvotes
GPS - error
I checked and the only one in stock was a display unit, too bad :)
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
12547 posts
6404 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Gr8terGood wrote: Curious if anyone thinks they’ll void Sony’s warranty by doing this update.
Read through the AVS link posted earlier, lots of questions answered including warranty discussion. If any of them put you at unease, don't do it. But they are the exact same TV except speakers.
Nov 19, 2014
917 posts
1429 upvotes
GPS - error
Gr8terGood wrote: Curious if anyone thinks they’ll void Sony’s warranty by doing this update.
The correct answer is nobody knows, but would Sony risk bricking those that have upgraded to different firmware ...
Also what if someone did it by mistake, they would have to prove otherwise ...
Jan 21, 2018
171 posts
33 upvotes
London drugs confirmed with me that my order will be a display model. Any downside to that? They don’t have BNIB in stock anymore. I read that someone had a display model and had to replace the screen because of a burn in or something. They also don’t know which location it’s coming from so I’ll get a call back later once it’s ready to be shipped.