Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
London Drugs

[YMMV] Apple AirPort Extreme (6th gen) - parts of BC, AB, SK only

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 22nd, 2019 2:51 pm
Deal Fanatic
Sep 19, 2002
7843 posts
9202 upvotes
Vancouver

[London Drugs] [YMMV] Apple AirPort Extreme (6th gen) - parts of BC, AB, SK only

YMMV as this is a clearance item at London Drugs.

No, this isn't a Wi-Fi 6 router or mesh system - sorry. But for $100, I think it's a good price for a solid router for your typical home user. I purchased two of these routers and am replacing a degraded Linksys E4200. I originally ordered the Asus Blue Cave from Staples but went to the store to cancel my order.

Note: Each London Drugs only has 1 or 2 units left. If the store only has 1 unit, it's likely an unboxed clearance product. Fear not, what this means is the router is unboxed but still brand new with original sticker wrap. London Drugs opens up a unit so they can put the box on display. The actual router is kept in the storeroom to prevent theft.

https://www.londondrugs.com/apple-airpo ... 37059.html

20190619_020633430_iOS.jpg
Last edited by Spinner on Jun 24th, 2019 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
22 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2018
1801 posts
2840 upvotes
Canada, eh?
The most stable router I've ever used in my life.
Jun 18, 2006
291 posts
289 upvotes
Burnaby
How easy is it for me to replace the original wireless router provided by Tellus? Any obvious advantage for me to spend 100bucks for the upgrade (faster speed? Longer distance?)?
Mar 7, 2011
703 posts
937 upvotes
Chilliwack, BC
anyone that knows where you can get the smaller Airport express model on clearance, let me know. I need the audio out (airplay) feature. Thanks!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 19, 2002
7843 posts
9202 upvotes
Vancouver
supramessiah wrote: How easy is it for me to replace the original wireless router provided by Tellus? Any obvious advantage for me to spend 100bucks for the upgrade (faster speed? Longer distance?)?
Should be fairly easy, depending on the Telus modem you’re using. If you’re not experiencing drops or dead spots, you don’t need a separate router. For me, I want a rock solid router and if there’s a problem with the Internet, I know with certainty it’s due to Telus and not the router.
Banned
May 15, 2016
7020 posts
2490 upvotes
Old technology. You can get much faster products cheaper.
Jan 1, 2019
135 posts
361 upvotes
vivibaby wrote: Old technology. You can get much faster products cheaper.
Do you have any reccomendations then?
Nov 28, 2016
770 posts
422 upvotes
Thanks for sharing
Lurking on RFD for years. Finally decided to make an account...😂
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2017
3158 posts
6406 upvotes
I was looking at the airport express for its ability to add air play functionality to a speaker using optical out. Being unfamiliar with the airport extreme line I assumed this would also have that feature, but for some reason it doesn’t.
Nov 20, 2017
502 posts
748 upvotes
Not an Apple guy at all, but their routers are very good. The Express I have (from SIX years ago) is very reliable and hasn't been reset for at least a year and a half. The fading laser frequency for the sleep function? Way beyond cool.

However, I'd never buy another one due to their policy of hardlocking so much functionality out from the user. Learned late it's NOT possible to configure a VPN in settings without flashing 3rd party firmware, which should be a default part of setup for modern day netizens.
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2016
1235 posts
4267 upvotes
fruitpunch.ben wrote: anyone that knows where you can get the smaller Airport express model on clearance, let me know. I need the audio out (airplay) feature. Thanks!
There are a few good third party Airplay units on Amazon. Not going to link because RFD does that scuzzy link substitution with Amazon, but search "airplay receiver". Works the same was as the express (plug it in and it shows up in your audio devices)
Deal Fanatic
Sep 19, 2002
7843 posts
9202 upvotes
Vancouver
Just a note, the stock at 41st & Victoria is not accurate. They have the AirPort Time Capsule, but not the Extreme.
Jan 22, 2019
435 posts
459 upvotes
Most reliable router I've ever had, but it's so outdated I wouldn't even consider it.
Aug 17, 2005
129 posts
70 upvotes
Vancouver
Spinner wrote: Just a note, the stock at 41st & Victoria is not accurate. They have the AirPort Time Capsule, but not the Extreme.
And is that also on sale?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 19, 2002
7843 posts
9202 upvotes
Vancouver
faston wrote: And is that also on sale?
The 3TB is on sale for $200. That store had two Time Capsules in stock - A1470. Whether it was 2TB or 3TB, I didn't ask.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
4533 posts
5071 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Chongus wrote: Do you have any reccomendations then?
The stupid Bell Hub 3000 actually got significantly better speeds and enough wifi range for my whole condo so haven't replaced it with anything. Maxes out what my laptop can receive anyways.

But if you want a real one look up UniFi AP, they're highly recommended and not discontinued.
+1 Too slow for gigabit speeds had to sell mine. $99 is a steal though, i sold my used one on Kijiji for $80 haha. Set it and forgot it for 2 years and it was rock solid the whole time.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2013
1480 posts
764 upvotes
GVR
Its a great router. Solid router not the latest but ease of use and reliability is the selling point. Too bad no stock around here.
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2011
1942 posts
3072 upvotes
VANCOUVER
I'm sorry but to everyone that's saying these are the most reliable router they have ever used probably had a bad experience with the crappy service provider router and or a cheap router such as dlink. You probably never used a higher end router.

I had an Asus N66U router and it was rock solid for 4 years that I was using it. In the time I had it, it never crashed and I never once had to restart it. It's still going strong at my parent's place.

I have since upgraded to Ubiquiti gear which is both solid and infinitely configurable. Basically enterprise grade equipment for consumer prices. FYI for those interested: I got the Edge Router-X and the AP-AC-LR for $180
https://unifi-sdn.ui.com/
Oct 26, 2006
224 posts
109 upvotes
Kitchener
prodacc wrote: Not an Apple guy at all, but their routers are very good. The Express I have (from SIX years ago) is very reliable and hasn't been reset for at least a year and a half. The fading laser frequency for the sleep function? Way beyond cool.

However, I'd never buy another one due to their policy of hardlocking so much functionality out from the user. Learned late it's NOT possible to configure a VPN in settings without flashing 3rd party firmware, which should be a default part of setup for modern day netizens.
I've owned several airport express routers over the years, but I don't understand the reference to "fading laser frequency for sleep function." What am I missing?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)