Lone Star Bar and Grill introduces Beyond Meat fajitas

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 20th, 2019 11:57 am
8 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 22, 2005
9877 posts
2556 upvotes
I really love Lone Star - one of my favorite restaurants food wise BUT they have gotten really pricey and no free chips anymore.

Last time we went our family of 4 check was well over $120 which I kind of got sticker shock from. Beyond meat - meh. Not for me but I'm sure it will bring in new customers.
Jul 31, 2008
311 posts
140 upvotes
Markham
kool1 wrote:
Jun 7th, 2019 12:02 pm
I really love Lone Star - one of my favorite restaurants food wise BUT they have gotten really pricey and no free chips anymore.
They used to be very solid. Then they started skimping on portions (the basics are rice, beans, and tortillas). Then the inflated prices. Then no more chips. Then it seemed like the average age in the kitchen went from 18 to 16 (and shows in the results). Whatever genius implemented these changes does not eat there.

My last experience was so bad, I refuse to go again. The nachos looked like road kill, flattened by a steam roller. At least it kinda looked like armadillo.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
22529 posts
8268 upvotes
Is this sort of thing even news any more?
It seems like everyone and their plant based dog has these now.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
3161 posts
2313 upvotes
mdl.tor wrote:
Jun 7th, 2019 2:39 pm
They used to be very solid. Then they started skimping on portions (the basics are rice, beans, and tortillas). Then the inflated prices. Then no more chips. Then it seemed like the average age in the kitchen went from 18 to 16 (and shows in the results). Whatever genius implemented these changes does not eat there.

My last experience was so bad, I refuse to go again. The nachos looked like road kill, flattened by a steam roller. At least it kinda looked like armadillo.
I remember when Lone Star actually smoked their ribs and brisket onsite like a real BBQ place - you could smell the smoke in the parking lot! I would order those all the time! Once that went away, Lone Star became just another McSysco Bar and Grill (tm).
Friendly reminder: South Street is the second coming of Licks, and Works Burger is a bad ripoff of Red Robin put out by those purveyors of garbage, MTY Shit Restaurants Group.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
3161 posts
2313 upvotes
death_hawk wrote:
Jun 16th, 2019 2:31 pm
Is this sort of thing even news any more?
It seems like everyone and their plant based dog has these now.
And the way this guy describes it, I'd just say stick to real meat. Our ancestors were not vegan... and we aren't extinct. They must have been doing something right!

if 8 min is too long for you, just start watching at the 2:20 mark and eventually you'll have heard enough...
Friendly reminder: South Street is the second coming of Licks, and Works Burger is a bad ripoff of Red Robin put out by those purveyors of garbage, MTY Shit Restaurants Group.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
22529 posts
8268 upvotes
EastGTARedFlagger wrote:
Jun 17th, 2019 1:15 am
And the way this guy describes it, I'd just say stick to real meat.
I will give it to vegetarians (not vegans because screw them) that meat is harder on resources.
Our ancestors don't "really" count since they were hunting rather than farming (ranching?).
They just killed whatever walked by.
Modern industrial farming means land, land to grow stuff for meat, resources to feed the stuff that feeds the meat. It's a giant chain of things just so I can get a steak.

So if we can eliminate some meats from our diets (especially with a thing that's even remotely close to the real thing) I'm all for it.
I finally tried a burger recently. I was surprised. I like to think I'm a pretty good taster and I couldn't figure out what this is.
My first "guess" (I didn't go in blind) was those really cheap mostly filler burgers. I would have never guessed that it was literally all filler and no meat.

I'm all for taking steps to reduce meat consumption. But I personally would never go 100% vegetarian. Vegan is even dumber.
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2017
1119 posts
273 upvotes
Toronto
The Canterbury Tail wrote:
Jun 7th, 2019 11:40 am
There are still Lone Stars open?
They are all over Ontario, see them all the time.