Expired Hot Deals

[Long & McQuade] Long & McQuade Jacks's Bargain Attic Sale - Sept 18-19 *** Held over until Sept 28 ***

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 28th, 2020 6:09 am
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2017
1051 posts
492 upvotes
Thanks for the info. It was an Epiphone Standard Pro with a burst pattern at $475 without a case, so priced similar to used on reverb and Kijiji.

It's a gift and I'm not that familiar with guitar pricing, but I'm guessing that is nowhere close to killer deal.
Suede wrote: If it wasn't a killer deal, or you are not 100% sold on the guitar return it. You won't be able to repair something like that easily without a lot of work, and chances are still won't be a perfect fix. A lot of it depends on the type of finish (poly vs nitro) but usually isn't worth it
Apr 23, 2011
852 posts
207 upvotes
Newcastle
Chickennbeans wrote: Thanks for the info. It was an Epiphone Standard Pro with a burst pattern at $475 without a case, so priced similar to used on reverb and Kijiji.

It's a gift and I'm not that familiar with guitar pricing, but I'm guessing that is nowhere close to killer deal.
Decent price on a very good guitar, but no not an amazing deal with damage and no case. I would suggest going back and talking to them, at very least they may be able to give you a giftcard, or free setup.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 24, 2008
2081 posts
775 upvotes
booyahchild01 wrote: Still pretty hard to grab stuff, but them's the ropes. I haven't been paying too much attention to prices in the last few years, but how have L&M Black Friday deals been for keyboards?
I don't remember what they've done for BF sales, but I know that for the past few years the Boxing Day sales have been pretty meh. Many years ago the BD sales would always have a few good deals. A couple of BD deals that I bought from L&M in the past were a Fender Standard Stratocaster for $399.99 in 2011 and a Limited Edition Standard Precision Bass for $399 in 2012. Fender has really jacked their prices up over the past few years so I rarely buy any of their products anymore, except for a few special offerings that come along from time to time.
I am not young enough to know everything - Oscar Wilde
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 24, 2008
2081 posts
775 upvotes
Chickennbeans wrote: I made the mistake of assuming no listed damage meant minor wear and tear and didn't check the guitar when picking up. Any experts on here familiar with repairing gouges in the finish? Can I just fill this with epoxy? Debating whether to return this as the discount seemed in line with what other used guitars were going for.
It looks like a poly finish but if it was me, if the guitar plays nice and the price was right I would keep it. You should see the chips in my Flying V but it's not surprising there are a few dings considering I've had it since 1977.

For small chips I sometimes will use a drop of super glue and fine grit sandpaper to make it smooth with the surrounding finish but these days I rarely worry about small cosmetic stuff like that. To me the most important things are how well the guitar plays and sounds.
Dec 11, 2008
309 posts
181 upvotes
Toronto
CalgaryRunner wrote: I'm not sure what model you're referring to but the cheaper Epiphones have bolt on necks while the model I bought has a set neck. Just like most guitar manufacturers, Epiphone puts out models to hit several price points so there are lots of options to choose from depending on your budget.
Sorry, I was mixing up the Gibson with the Epiphone models.

Thanks for the info.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2017
1051 posts
492 upvotes
I don't know if it's clear, but I can fit a quarter in there and it's down to bare wood.

I think I'll ask L&M again if they can do anything to make it worth my while trying to fill in the hole before gifting it.

It's there anything I should test function wise? (I'm not a guitar player) I assumed L&M would do a full test given they provide a short warranty on used gear, but I'm not so sure now.
CalgaryRunner wrote: It looks like a poly finish but if it was me, if the guitar plays nice and the price was right I would keep it. You should see the chips in my Flying V but it's not surprising there are a few dings considering I've had it since 1977.

For small chips I sometimes will use a drop of super glue and fine grit sandpaper to make it smooth with the surrounding finish but these days I rarely worry about small cosmetic stuff like that. To me the most important things are how well the guitar plays and sounds.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 24, 2008
2081 posts
775 upvotes
Chickennbeans wrote: I don't know if it's clear, but I can fit a quarter in there and it's down to bare wood.

I think I'll ask L&M again if they can do anything to make it worth my while trying to fill in the hole before gifting it.

It's there anything I should test function wise? (I'm not a guitar player) I assumed L&M would do a full test given they provide a short warranty on used gear, but I'm not so sure now.
It can be a little hard to tell from just seeing a pic, but I already had a general idea of how large the gouge is. It's not unusual for a poly chip to go down to the bare wood - not a big deal in my opinion. However, you're the one who bought it so really only your opinion matters. If it bothers you that much then return it, but it wouldn't hurt to talk to someone at L&M first before you decide.

As far as function goes, it would be good if you know an experienced guitar player who can check it out for you. While I can't speak as to what L&M does in particular, generally with music stores when a guitar arrives they just put it straight out on the floor.

I know that new guitars purchased at L&M come with a free setup within the first year after purchase, and 90 days for used guitars. The FAQ for the sale says that all their regular policies apply to items in this sale so I assume that any used guitars bought during the sale are covered for 90 days. I never take them up on the free setups because I'm perfectly capable of doing my own setups. Hope that helps.
Apr 23, 2011
852 posts
207 upvotes
Newcastle
Feegus wrote: Just picked up a Yamaha CSF3M Parlor acoustic. Barely used for $575 that retails for $799.

Its not even the price that got me jonezing for this one. I didn't know a thing about it until last week but since then I've checked out every single review and vid online about these and my hype got full tilt. Easy to play with big sound and being a touch smaller so maybe my younger son will get inspired to pick it up with me. Passive pick ups too so I'm hoping to be able to plug it into Rocksmith for some fun with that as well.
Not sure I could be more stoked!

Thanks for the heads up on this sale OP, I would have missed out on this for sure.
Congrats on the parlor guitar. My personal favorite acoustic size, I have a Art and Luthrie roadhouse I love. Just the right size to sit anywhere and play, and the smaller sizes tend to lend themselves well to finger picking.
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2008
3805 posts
1560 upvotes
BC
Suede wrote: Congrats on the parlor guitar. My personal favorite acoustic size, I have a Art and Luthrie roadhouse I love. Just the right size to sit anywhere and play, and the smaller sizes tend to lend themselves well to finger picking.
Thanks amigo. Finger picking couch noodler is me to a T Smiling Face With Sunglasses
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2017
1051 posts
492 upvotes
Thanks, I really appreciate your help!
CalgaryRunner wrote: It can be a little hard to tell from just seeing a pic, but I already had a general idea of how large the gouge is. It's not unusual for a poly chip to go down to the bare wood - not a big deal in my opinion. However, you're the one who bought it so really only your opinion matters. If it bothers you that much then return it, but it wouldn't hurt to talk to someone at L&M first before you decide.

As far as function goes, it would be good if you know an experienced guitar player who can check it out for you. While I can't speak as to what L&M does in particular, generally with music stores when a guitar arrives they just put it straight out on the floor.

I know that new guitars purchased at L&M come with a free setup within the first year after purchase, and 90 days for used guitars. The FAQ for the sale says that all their regular policies apply to items in this sale so I assume that any used guitars bought during the sale are covered for 90 days. I never take them up on the free setups because I'm perfectly capable of doing my own setups. Hope that helps.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 24, 2008
2081 posts
775 upvotes
I'm on L&M's mailing list and just got an email saying that the sale has been extended to Sept 28.

Here's the link to the sale page once again. You should also read the OP for important information about the sale.

As before, I'll do my best to monitor this thread and answer any questions and give tips and advice as best I can.

And once again, I'll say that I have no affiliation with L&M other than being a long time satisfied customer.
Jul 2, 2016
439 posts
750 upvotes
This is the first year I bought something from this sale. Once you purchase the item, how long do you normally wait to hear from your local store to pickup the item?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 24, 2008
2081 posts
775 upvotes
George1616 wrote: This is the first year I bought something from this sale. Once you purchase the item, how long do you normally wait to hear from your local store to pickup the item?
They've never done the sale this way before so it's hard to say, but they should contact you within a couple of days to arrange pickup. If not, give the store a call.
Sep 5, 2005
763 posts
1391 upvotes
Victoria
George1616 wrote: This is the first year I bought something from this sale. Once you purchase the item, how long do you normally wait to hear from your local store to pickup the item?
It's probably store dependent, but the Victoria store called about 2 minutes after I placed the order for both my orders.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 24, 2008
2081 posts
775 upvotes
This is a little OT, but the first time I remember spending money at a L&M store was when I was a teenager in a band. We were all too poor to afford to buy a PA system but we could afford to rent one from L&M. We were all underage so one of our parents had to sign the rental agreement.

At that time we were terrible but we compensated by cranking up our amps as loud as possible to cover up how bad we were. One time we played an outdoor gig and as soon as we started playing the front row of the crowd moved back at least 20 feet. I think my playing has improved a little bit since then.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)