• Last Updated:
  • Mar 10th, 2019 8:22 pm
[OP]
Oct 19, 2013
6 posts
Vaughan

Long Distance VOIP Line Recommendations

Hello All,

I have a large household. We have a Bell bundle that includes a home phone - I want to keep this as I have a pretty good deal which includes fibe 250. We also have a Vonage line for the past many years which we use a second line and for long distance. I haven't looked into this for a number of years but I think that I am overpaying. I am paying around $35 plus tax per month and almost nothing more for the calls.

I am looking for something much cheaper now. What is the scoop on freephoneline or voip.ms? Other recommendations?

Long distance is usually to USA, UK, Israel

I am fairly tech savvy and can follow the setups as long as it doesn't require complex programming and the sort.

Thank you
4 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
4639 posts
1438 upvotes
Toronto
I use voip.ms. In fact I have a similar deal to you - Bell home phone bundled in - and I don't even have a phone connected to the real landline. Everything goes through voip.ms, because I figure the few local calls we make using a landline only cost maybe a dollar a month at the most, so getting them "free" isn't worth the hassle of having to deal with two phone lines when we don't really use the home phone that much anyway.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2014
1211 posts
584 upvotes
Another recommendation for voip.ms, I had to contact customer and tech support a few times and it's impressive how quick they are to read the support tickets and answer your questions. You can ask for a $10 referral code from a voip.ms customer so that should cover 2-3 months.

edit: take a look at their wiki: https://wiki.voip.ms/article/Welcome
Mar 11, 2011
733 posts
240 upvotes
Toronto
I'll put in a vote for Freephoneline. You will have to buy the SIP code for $90 plus and ATA ($40 to $70). But after that, it's truly free for Canada-wide calls. Calls to the UK cost 2 cents/min. Israel is 3 cents. But no customer service. You have to use their online forum to solve problems.

You might also consider their sister company Fongo Home Phone. You pay $4.95/month but get customer service. No need to purchase the SIP code. They will sell you the ATA box all set up for $29.