Travel

Long Layover at San Francisco

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 7th, 2018 4:22 pm
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2017
1047 posts
1093 upvotes
Traffic should be a non factor. For a 10 hour layover I'd be taking the BART into town.
Mar 6, 2011
65 posts
58 upvotes
Ajax, ON
Traffic shouldn't be as bad as a non-holiday week during that time, even if it's a Friday. Depending how much luggage you have, it might be better to rent a car, rather than lugging around bags through the city. Dress appropriately. The weather will be a lot cooler in SF than Australia.
Nov 23, 2015
907 posts
595 upvotes
There is a bag storage facility at SFO but it's on the pricy side and it may indeed be less expensive to rent a car for the day to keep bags in the trunk.

https://www.airporttravelagency.org/

Driving in SFO is a bit of a hassle in my books but it might be worth it.

Come up with a plan B for what to do just in case though, OP. A few years back I had some time to kill so my wife and I decided to go with our then toddler son on the BART to Union Square to ride the cable car to Fisherman's Wharf. As it turned out, the cable cars were broken that day and the backup bus service was a total f-cluster. So after meandering around a bit we just ended up going back to SFO early!
Feb 8, 2017
459 posts
261 upvotes
i wouldn't care what it costs to store the bags at SFO. if i only have 10 hours and i wanted to go into town then screw it - it costs what it costs. not the RFD way I know but if i think of all the thousands of $$$ i've already sent on a trip to Australia a few more dollars to keep my bags at the airport is not going to break the bank.