Expired Hot Deals

Long & McQuade

Audio-Technica m50x closed-back monitor headphones - $175

[OP]
Dec 21, 2005
45 posts
35 upvotes
ddedios wrote: Was $116 Amazon.CA boxing day. Mine is on it's way.
Lies. I checked boxing day, no such deal.
[OP]
Dec 21, 2005
45 posts
35 upvotes
halcyon wrote: Love these headphones.

There was a place where it was around $120 CAD from the states.

With our dollor, sadly it probably close to $150+.

But yeah, hopefully those interested can get it for $120 or so. It's worth it for $175 buy get a deal if you can :)
Excellent cans indeed. Definitely need some burning-in, but great clarity, imaging and sound separation.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 4, 2008
7177 posts
8796 upvotes
Richmond Hill
X50m?
When given enough time, all threads on RFD can and will go off on a tangent.
Jan 31, 2007
499 posts
318 upvotes
TheSalesman wrote: its $116 off their over inflated price. It was 169 on boxing day. I was looking for a deal on these too.
+1. Comedy when ddedios checks their credit card bill. Lol
Deal Guru
Jan 6, 2005
12139 posts
3464 upvotes
How much benefit is gained over the M40X, on sale for $110 at Amazon...
http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00HVLU ... YIK6Y9EEQB

Looking at a comparison, not much difference in specs...

I'm not familiar with the brand, etc, just saw this deal listed on my Amazon page...
The first rule of RFD is, you do not talk about RFD.

The second rule of RFD is, you DO NOT talk about RFD.
Aug 24, 2009
249 posts
71 upvotes
Guelph
BeaverLiquor wrote: M50x, not the other way around.

The x's were never $100, the original m50's were. The cheapest I've seen posted for the m50x's were around $140 from shop.ca.
Yeah. You used to be able to get them for super cheap by stacking coupons on shop.ca when a sale hit. I think I got mine for around $80 or something. Golden days of shop.ca.
Aug 24, 2009
249 posts
71 upvotes
Guelph
jackass_ca wrote: How much benefit is gained over the M40X, on sale for $110 at Amazon...
http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00HVLU ... YIK6Y9EEQB

Looking at a comparison, not much difference in specs...

I'm not familiar with the brand, etc, just saw this deal listed on my Amazon page...
Overall the M50's are going to be better, but if you're not an audiophile the difference is probably tiny. Here's what I found for a comparison, http://versus.com/en/audio-technica-ath ... a-ath-m40x

Most noticeable parts are the M50 has a bigger driver and a higher frequency.
Jan 11, 2007
280 posts
125 upvotes
TCWeasel wrote: Just as information. Long & McQuade has about 20 locations and has been around for 50 years.
And I have been sold a pack of supposedly brand new strings that, when I got home and opened it, has clearly been used. That was the only time I purchased from Long & McQuade. Never again.
Nov 2, 2006
46 posts
5 upvotes
"http://www.redflagdeals.com/deal/vid...x200-ssds-mor/

scroll all the way to Home Theatre and Audio Dec 26 only. Amazon.ca boxing day sale. Too bad you missed it! "

It reads:

"[December 26 Only] $116.00 off an Audio-Technica ATH-M50x Professional Headphones"

I also hoped it would be a better deal than the $169.00 it turned out to be.
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2005
2194 posts
843 upvotes
I have the M50 Audio Technicas that I purchased a couple of years ago thanks to RFD for under 120 bucks shipped and taxes in. I have the Sennheiser 598SE thanks to an RFD post for 109 plus tax. They are both good headphones but the Sennheiser 598SEs are an order of magnitude better than the M50s. Everyone hears sound differently and has different preferences/taste but the 598s are in a different class of headphone altogether. Of course, the M50s are closed which is a lot better for anything but a quiet environment. You really need quiet to appreciate the 598s.

Thanks RFD for helping me get both of them!
[OP]
Dec 21, 2005
45 posts
35 upvotes
feminazi wrote: I have the M50 Audio Technicas that I purchased a couple of years ago thanks to RFD for under 120 bucks shipped and taxes in. I have the Sennheiser 598SE thanks to an RFD post for 109 plus tax. They are both good headphones but the Sennheiser 598SEs are an order of magnitude better than the M50s. Everyone hears sound differently and has different preferences/taste but the 598s are in a different class of headphone altogether. Of course, the M50s are closed which is a lot better for anything but a quiet environment. You really need quiet to appreciate the 598s.

Thanks RFD for helping me get both of them!

I found most the Seinnheisers have poor base response and anemic soundstage when compared to other cans in the same price range. To each their own.

There's a reason why M50x's are used as the de facto 'one-to-beat', or at least compare to in the $200 price range.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2008
3340 posts
2965 upvotes
Victoria
parrot5 wrote: And I have been sold a pack of supposedly brand new strings that, when I got home and opened it, has clearly been used. That was the only time I purchased from Long & McQuade. Never again.
Strings are almost always sealed (at least the brands that I buy do) so how could they have been used? Did you return/exchange them? Or did you just assign blame and vow to never do business with them again?

Back on track, I just got the M40x and they are lovely. Can't compare them to the M50(x) as I've never tried them.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2005
3674 posts
1960 upvotes
Ontario
CrazyCanuck90 wrote: Overall the M50's are going to be better, but if you're not an audiophile the difference is probably tiny. Here's what I found for a comparison, http://versus.com/en/audio-technica-ath ... a-ath-m40x

Most noticeable parts are the M50 has a bigger driver and a higher frequency.
Or anyone who thinks they're an audiophile. Put most people in a blind taste test and only a few will realize that you cannot taste test headphones.
Kaboom! Kaboom! KABOOM!
Aug 24, 2009
249 posts
71 upvotes
Guelph
TCWeasel wrote: Or anyone who thinks they're an audiophile. Put most people in a blind taste test and only a few will realize that you cannot taste test headphones.
All depends really. If it's between the M40s and M50s, I agree. But if you compare the M50s to something like Beats you'll know they're a good bit different. Or M50x's to some cheap $30 Sony headphones.
May 31, 2005
924 posts
524 upvotes
How often do the m50x's go on sale? After the holidays are you up the creek until next year for headphones?
Jan 5, 2016
1 posts
Edmonton, AB
I can only find them online for 220$ everywhere I look? Any help?