Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2010
1574 posts
1069 upvotes
Canada

[Long & McQuade] Long & McQuade - Free guitar setup with purchase of 2 sets of guitar strings

Today only (Oct 5th 2013):
Buy 2 sets of any Gibson or Rotosound guitar strings and get a FREE guitar checkup. Offer limited to one guitar per customer.

Lists of things that will be done:
- check your intonation
- check your action
- check your electronics
- adjust the truss rod if required
- clean and restring your guitar

This offer is for both acoustic and electric guitars.

10 replies
Nov 1, 2010
162 posts
31 upvotes
Not a bad deal at all. Had I known earlier I woulda brought in one to get setup.

As a side note, where do RFDers get their strings? I've been ordering from strings and beyond(5-10% discount codes are very easy to find on top) for quite some time, fantastic service and prices. Just wondering if there's even cheaper...
Deal Expert
Apr 30, 2003
24045 posts
4138 upvotes
Toronto
So how much is a guitar checkup and tuning regularly?
iggsplode wrote: Not a bad deal at all. Had I known earlier I woulda brought in one to get setup.

As a side note, where do RFDers get their strings? I've been ordering from strings and beyond(5-10% discount codes are very easy to find on top) for quite some time, fantastic service and prices. Just wondering if there's even cheaper...
I wish we could get the same prices on strings here like they have in the U.S. We pretty much have to pay double here.
May 10, 2010
639 posts
83 upvotes
Yeah I need a couple sets so I can tune to B standard. Update if you find a cheap place please.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2006
1955 posts
926 upvotes
Stringthis is where I always go, Mike gives great service and their sales get pretty dirt cheap.

lol @ L&M guitar setup. if you want a real job done right go small luthier or 12th fret. more expensive but much more thorough.
Aug 8, 2006
453 posts
65 upvotes
Deallextreme has strings for $2-$5 or so a set
http://dx.com/s/guitar+strings

Too late.. but it doesn't look like too much of a deal if only "check" your intonation and things. You would still have to pay to get it actually set up properly
Jun 3, 2012
809 posts
146 upvotes
Toronto
iggsplode wrote: Not a bad deal at all. Had I known earlier I woulda brought in one to get setup.

That's where I order from too. I hate L&M, Steve's, all the big stores except for Cosmo music. L and M setups are done by 20 year olds who have no idea how to setup a guitar, at least the ones I've been to. And the prices.....man I so wish we had Guitar Centers in Canada.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
16989 posts
1814 upvotes
Thornhill
I used to buy at Cosmo Music because it was close by and the prices were reasonable. Last time, I ordered bulk from some guy down in the US over eBay (saved only a few bucks per set) - haven't gone through all those strings yet.

I used to do most of those tune-ups myself - not sure what checking electronics is though.

bjl
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
RFD discounts for Schluter products
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2006
2501 posts
145 upvotes
York
OP worded it in a bad way for us. It's a checkup, not a setup.

Many guitars are setup so-so (to a way in which the owner is familiar with) and function and play perfectly fine, but I have a feeling they're going to go out of their way to find something marginally wrong so that they can reel you into a $50-100 setup fee. i.e. You're fine with your action being a bit high, they're going to say it should be/can be lowered and rake you into paying for an actual setup.

All of the services they provide (excluding any truss rod adjustments) can be done at home by yourself for free and are worth learning how to do if you have a guitar that's warrants the cost of an actual setup in the first place. Intonation is as simple as checking for tuning consistency between the open and 12th fret, and checking action can be as simple as checking for fret buzz on all notes.

But hey, you can never have too many spare sets of strings. If you buy these brands and don't mind handing your guitar off to them for a while, I don't see why not.
Nov 24, 2012
843 posts
218 upvotes
Toronto
I brought my guitar to get setup by them yesterday and after picking it up I noticed the action was high. I had asked them to set it to factory setting, and having played similar versions in their store it seems high to me.

Not only that, some of the bridge pins were sticking out and it looks like they put a small nick into the guitar. This has me pretty upset as its quite a nice guitar. I haven't brought it back in to complain because i am no expert and am pretty intimidated whenever I walk into one of theses stores, not to mention the setup was FREE...

All in all, it doesn't seem like they did a very good job. I doubt I'll bring my guitar there again.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
16989 posts
1814 upvotes
Thornhill
soul_taker wrote: All of the services they provide (excluding any truss rod adjustments) can be done at home by yourself for free and are worth learning how to do if you have a guitar that's warrants the cost of an actual setup in the first place. Intonation is as simple as checking for tuning consistency between the open and 12th fret, and checking action can be as simple as checking for fret buzz on all notes.
I've adjusted the truss rod on my guitar myself - wasn't hard, but it took several tries to get it right. This was an acoustic, but I suppose my electric would be somewhat similar.

bjl
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
RFD discounts for Schluter products