Tags:
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2004
13222 posts
12543 upvotes
Oil Country

[Long & McQuade] HOT!!! AKG K121 High-Performance Studio Headphones - $69.99

This deal seems hot. I checked out a bunch of online retailers, and they all sell these headphones for over $100. They also have decent reviews on Head-Fi and a bunch of other sites I checked. According to one reviewer they do need some burn in time, but the sound will be fuller after about 40-50 hours.
16 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2006
1620 posts
602 upvotes
Meh amazon.com has same price.
Good...Good...
Jul 3, 2013
376 posts
117 upvotes
Toronto
K240 is what you want, and would be hot at this price.
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2010
1658 posts
184 upvotes
Scarbontario
dukati wrote: K240 is what you want, and would be hot at this price.
How does the AKG K142 compare? I got one from around $60 on sale, dunno if I should keep it or not.
Jan 13, 2014
109 posts
48 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
wow those are beyond ugly
Nov 23, 2004
152 posts
10 upvotes
Whitby
crocop24 wrote: wow those are beyond ugly
Yeah....because that is important???

I prefer to concentrate on what they sound like.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
1370 posts
265 upvotes
Winnipeg
Dr. Dre beats for you then my hipster friend with too much money to spend!
Sep 24, 2009
493 posts
249 upvotes
Toronto
We don't have to go from one extreme to another.

Some like to look good and prefer to have their accessories look good as well.

Other people don't care what they look like.

Nothing wrong with either people. You don't have to get Beats by Dre to get a decent looking pair of headphones either.
all expressed thoughts and opinions are strictly my own
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2008
1907 posts
520 upvotes
toronto
I have 141s which are very similair to 121s(although I dont think they make them anymore), and theyre utterly uncomfortable, and the 121's are probably nowhere near as good as the vintage 141s with the metallic warmth and brisk upper-highs, but I've yet to listen. Best bet is go for the 240s on sale, you want the larger cups on akgs. Atleast they're built well, unless they make them in china now.

Open-designed headphones are meant for production and a specific open-air listening stage, not a great purchase for mobile or even gaming.
Jan 1, 2011
650 posts
184 upvotes
Kitchener
popcorneater wrote: Dr. Dre beats for you then my hipster friend with too much money to spend!
Don't forget to buy the rhinestone-studded version!
Jul 3, 2013
376 posts
117 upvotes
Toronto
dr wrote: How does the AKG K142 compare? I got one from around $60 on sale, dunno if I should keep it or not.
They aren't very comfortable to start kind of like the K121's. I personally haven't tried K142's but they look similar pad wise, but I'm sure they're better than 121's. The sound of 240's are better than the K121's. This is all though opinion and you have to try them for yourself. People can try $500+ headphones and will still like their $100-150 pair or maybe even less than that more than the expensive ones. Reviews are an ok indicator for headphones. A lot of the audiophile reviews are based on entry level headphones being like a mcdonalds burger and the ones they own are an expensive steak. There's a lot of headphones that are like steak but they are opinionated based on do you like your steak rare, well done, medium etc.

The K240's we're a good entry level studio cans, much better than HD280's that some people would suggest in comparison. K240's are semi-open so they had a nicer sound IMO. Now you might have people tell you the opposite. They beat the 280's in comfort for sure. A lot has changed since then though they have a new 240 MKII which I haven't tried so I can't comment on that. You don't even have to go AKG, there's tons of options and other brands.

Sorry for my rambling, but my best advice is to try in store to see what you like and even then it's hard until you listen to them day to day. It really comes down to Sound, Open/Closed, Comfort, and of course the price.

Hopefully this helps, since there isn't really a "best" headphone
Nov 16, 2006
994 posts
548 upvotes
Somewhere between Mi…
Wear your nicest dress with them.