Hot Deals

[Longos] Kawartha ice cream 1.5 ltr tub 2$ off. Down to 4.99$ each

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 3rd, 2020 1:27 pm
Deal Fanatic
Jan 24, 2005
5719 posts
319 upvotes
Haagan Daas is far superior but more expensive IMHO.
[OP]
Sep 10, 2017
772 posts
352 upvotes
xwar wrote: Haagan Daas is far superior but more expensive IMHO.
True as it only has milk, egg yolk and maybe a couple more ingredients.
Jun 9, 2015
804 posts
650 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Not trying to shit on the deal, but Kawartha's used to be my favourite store brand ice cream and it wasn't even close. But they really have changed their recipe and the taste and flavours aren't what they used to be.

Still better than Chapman's and stuff, but Haagen-Dazs and PC's "Cream First" label are better.
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2005
1330 posts
446 upvotes
mal4zn wrote: How is this vs Haagen Daz
A delicate blend of 5 simple ingredients – milk, cream, eggs, sugar, and Japanese Matcha tea(or strawberries, chocolate, whatever).

$4.99 for 500mL of Haagen Dazs vs $4.99 for 1.5L for OP's. 3x the cost. Each of us could decide whether it's worth it.

Even Haagen Dazs is cheapening on some of its blends. Lots of artificial ingredients in the "specialty" blends.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
2389 posts
858 upvotes
Mississauga
xwar wrote: Haagan Daas is far superior but more expensive IMHO.
Yep. Haagan Dazs when on sale is like $3.99 for 0.5L. This Kawartha on sale is $4.99 for 1.5L.

I love Haagan Dazs alot but I'm not buying it so the kids can load it on ice cream cones OR a pie. Kawartha for the price tastes good enough for those situations.
Jan 23, 2017
59 posts
63 upvotes
No offence taken. After buying Haagen Dasz for years and after they increased the price and changed the recipe, I bought an ice cream maker and am indeed making it at home. Bought macha from costco and the ice cream is amazing.
Rogues2017 wrote: Then that way you shouldn’t be buying any ice cream from the market at all. Lol.. only thing you should buy is Haagen Dasz or make it at home. No offence meant.
[OP]
Sep 10, 2017
772 posts
352 upvotes
moebius2 wrote: No offence taken. After buying Haagen Dasz for years and after they increased the price and changed the recipe, I bought an ice cream maker and am indeed making it at home. Bought macha from costco and the ice cream is amazing.
You’re my inspiration bro. Please share me links on the type of machine and base ingredients you use, places you buy them and chocolate,etc...:-)
Sep 3, 2002
969 posts
408 upvotes
GTA
Alberto78 wrote: Personally I don't eat commercial ice-creams
And yet here you are in a commercial ice cream thread...

Same price at Fortinos.
Apr 17, 2015
20 posts
14 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
theSPOOLER wrote: And yet here you are in a commercial ice cream thread...
Yes, because the rest of the family eats Kawartha, Haagen Dazs etc .
Am I allowed to reply to this thread or, next time, I should ask for your permission?
Sep 18, 2016
283 posts
233 upvotes
Ben & Jerry , done, resting my case.
Index Investors, the Vegans of the Investing Industry
Jan 19, 2018
659 posts
413 upvotes
I tried Kawartha’s ice cream a few years ago from one of their retail stores and was not impressed. I had high expectations because of the rave reviews. I’m typically a Haagen Dazs guy and prefer the more dense and hard texture of HD ice cream. I think Haagen Dazs is a superior product but you are also paying a lot more. To me it’s not worth spending any money on something I don’t enjoy so I just buy Haagen Dazs when it’s on sale for $3.99 or less.
Jan 23, 2017
59 posts
63 upvotes
For the machine I bought Cuisinart one:
https://www.amazon.ca/Cuisinart-ICE-70C ... 221&sr=8-6
I don't recall how much I paid, but definitely not $220 - it was 2 years ago, so I don't recall, maybe $140 or so.

The macha powder I buy at costco as well as half-and-half.

The good macha ice cream recipe:
https://www.justonecookbook.com/green-t ... ice-cream/

She also has black sesame (a bit too sweet for me) and red beans ice cream which I've tried.

Also, tried vanilla bean ice cream (bought vanilla beans at Loblaws or so). Not a fan of chocolate ice cream, so I didn't try. The machine comes with a recipe book for sorbets, ice creams and gelatos.
Rogues2017 wrote: You’re my inspiration bro. Please share me links on the type of machine and base ingredients you use, places you buy them and chocolate,etc...:-)
Deal Addict
May 13, 2005
1508 posts
318 upvotes
Toronto
Tried this brand for the first time the other month and I was impressed. It is up there with Haagen Dazs imo at a lower price point.