Automotive

Looking at 2021 Golf Comfortline (lease)

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 15th, 2021 12:22 am
Tags:
[OP]
Nov 6, 2006
177 posts
68 upvotes

Looking at 2021 Golf Comfortline (lease)

Hey all,

I previously made a thread about what to do with my current GTI on lease, which is coming to an end in about 5 months.

Got some good feedback but after looking at daycare costs we've decided to scrap getting a Golf R.

We visited Don Valley VW a few days ago to chat about the 2021 Comfortline Golf for a 3 year lease.

A full appraisal will be done on our current 2018 GTI Autobahn tomorrow with 59,000km on it, but the sales guy was suggesting we'd be able to get about $1000 to $2000 in positive equity, and likely have our last two payments waived. Residual is $19,900 on it.

We could then put this money towards a down/trade-in value on a 2021 comfortline.

With that said, he was suggesting there wasn't much wiggle room on the price. There's a $750 sale bonus, but that's about all he said he could do (which I see is available on vw.ca)

I guess I just want to know they actually have no wiggle room on the price or not. With the GTI was able to knock off $3000, but I understand the comfortline is more of a base model car.

Do the monthly payments look reasonable? Any thoughts on whether I can talk them down a bit?

Here's a screenshot of lease calculator.

Screenshot_20210813-173716.png
18 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
31877 posts
18865 upvotes
Toronto
Technically, dealer can you you $0 for this “positive equity” on a returned lease. In other words, you can treat this + 2 waived payments as dealer discount and with factory credit, you are looking at 10% (or a bit more) of grand total discount.

You just have to look at the overall picture

A quick scan suggests the 18 gti are listing for around $28-$30k, would it work for you if you are to buy it out and sell it and pocket the gain. Afterwards, you can freely look for any brands out there for a new lease
Last edited by booblehead on Aug 13th, 2021 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13086 posts
4693 upvotes
Ontario
Once you get the numbers of cost and trade in etc etc, PM me and i'll get you in contact with a VW Manager he will likely beat the price you get.
Personally I would just keep your GTI as its a much nicer car then the golf.
Stangn99 wrote: Hey all,

I previously made a thread about what to do with my current GTI on lease, which is coming to an end in about 5 months.

Got some good feedback but after looking at daycare costs we've decided to scrap getting a Golf R.

We visited Don Valley VW a few days ago to chat about the 2021 Comfortline Golf for a 3 year lease.

A full appraisal will be done on our current 2018 GTI Autobahn tomorrow with 59,000km on it, but the sales guy was suggesting we'd be able to get about $1000 to $2000 in positive equity, and likely have our last two payments waived. Residual is $19,900 on it.

We could then put this money towards a down/trade-in value on a 2021 comfortline.

With that said, he was suggesting there wasn't much wiggle room on the price. There's a $750 sale bonus, but that's about all he said he could do (which I see is available on vw.ca)

I guess I just want to know they actually have no wiggle room on the price or not. With the GTI was able to knock off $3000, but I understand the comfortline is more of a base model car.

Do the monthly payments look reasonable? Any thoughts on whether I can talk them down a bit?

Here's a screenshot of lease calculator.

Screenshot_20210813-173716.png
[OP]
Nov 6, 2006
177 posts
68 upvotes
booblehead wrote: Technically, dealer can you you $0 for this “positive equity” on a returned lease. In other words, you can treat this + 2 waived payments as dealer discount and with factory credit, you are looking at 10% (or a bit more) of grand total discount.

You just have to look at the overall picture

A quick scan suggests the 18 gti are listing for around $28-$30k, would it work for you if you are to buy it out and sell it and pocket the gain. Afterwards, you can freely look for any brands out there for a new lease
Thought about it but don't want to deal with selling privately. With a newborn and my work schedule, realistically I wouldn't have the time to mess around with tire kickers.
sickcars wrote: Once you get the numbers of cost and trade in etc etc, PM me and i'll get you in contact with a VW Manager he will likely beat the price you get.
Personally I would just keep your GTI as its a much nicer car then the golf.
I will keep this in mind and kill PM you. Thx
[OP]
Nov 6, 2006
177 posts
68 upvotes
We're okay with a downgrade. I didn't realize daycare cost between $2,200 to $2,400 per month in Toronto. It's our first child and we didn't really plan for it Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
2954 posts
2368 upvotes
Markham
Stangn99 wrote: We're okay with a downgrade. I didn't realize daycare cost between $2,200 to $2,400 per month in Toronto. It's our first child and we didn't really plan for it Face With Tears Of Joy
It has shot up significantly in Toronto, hence why its even floated as an election issue because Quebec got an affordable version of daycare. I've seen enough people quit their jobs just because daycare was too expensive and it ate up much if not all of that job's earnings post tax. The way the vast majority get around it, utilize your parents(the kid's grandparents) as much as possible to not pay too much on daycare and hope they can take care of the kids enough until they're able to be independent. The people who can work from home get massive advantage here too.
Apr 22, 2018
27 posts
17 upvotes
Was there a rush to get the base golf now due to family obligation and financial reason? I doubt you can get $3000 off on a base golf.

Is the golf your primary car or second car for your family? Why put down $1500 as downpayment for a lease, to just lower the monthly payment?

Contrary to the RFD approach to talk to the lowest OTD price, you got to ask yourself how much you are comfortable to pay for your lease per month to start your negotiation. How much down payment you can afford to fork out to make your monthly payment work.

Simply asking a question how much negotiation room on RFD won't solve your problem.
Deal Expert
Mar 1, 2008
16983 posts
6859 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
I guarantee you will not like the downgrade from a GTI to a Golf. The engine and transmission is very lackluster. While it's good on gas, you probably will miss the responsiveness of the GTI. Don't forget the Golf has a softer suspension too. You leased a hot hatch for a reason. Probably same reason as me? Mine was because while it's fun to drive, it also gives me the opportunity to raise a family when I settle down.

With the 2021 Golf, the MIB3 is buggy and the vehicle lacks a lot of features and equipment your GTI Autobahn currently has. For example, it doesn't come with KESSY, something very useful to have especially if you have a baby or child. I don't know if your GTI has the DAP either but the Golf Comfortline does not have the option to even add that in. I don't know about you but the DAP on my GTI, especially after OBDeleven coding, is super useful. The DAP will help you save about an additional 15% on insurance premiums too, though some insurers have started removing that discount and built it into the vehicle rate groups instead. It wasn't uncommon to see the premiums for a Golf to be higher than the GTI.

Let's assume it's an even $350/month X 36 months after taxes. That means you're going to pay $13k to rent a Golf Comfortline for 3 years. Then 3 years later, you'll have to find another car, meaning you will always have to pay for a car. From a cash flow perspective, it simply doesn't make sense to get out your lease. If you really have a cash flow issue, sell the GTI, take your positive equity, and buy a used 2010 vehicle.

If you buy out your GTI in 5 months, it's $20k + current remaining lease payments + tax. Now let's assume in 3 years time, used car prices are back to normal. Today, a fully loaded 2012 GTI is asking for $15k on AutoTrader. Let's assume it'll sell for $9k in a normal used car market.

Now to answer your question on wiggle room of a Golf Comfortline, given today's market, expect little to no wiggle room. They make it sound like they're doing you a favour by covering your payments and positive equity but that's really coming out of the lease of your new Golf Comfortline. If you need a Sales Manager, you can hit up Mike Jurban at Pickering VW. My friend returned his base GTI to him and got his last couple lease payments covered due to the current used car market. I believe he's driving his other vehicles now.
Last edited by geokilla on Aug 14th, 2021 12:04 am, edited 3 times in total.
RFD is love. RFD is life.

2022 Advan Tire Winter Tire Sale
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
33181 posts
14979 upvotes
sickcars wrote: Personally I would just keep your GTI as its a much nicer car then the golf.
geokilla wrote: Keep the GTI. The amount you’ll pay to lease a Golf for 3 years is not worth the downgrade from a 2018 GTI.
X3. Not sure what OP is thinking. Won't spend extra money to get an R--understandable if he has other costs--but won't save money by keeping the current car which is only $19,900, compared to a new car which will be way more--looks to be about 7-8k more money for a lower-end vehicle. Not to mention a new lease which is just a way to keep paying monthly, perpetually. I mean I'm not against doing that if you have money to waste and want a new car every few years, but doesn't sound like OP is in that position.

That said $20k lease buyout sounds rather high for a GTI...was this a 3yr lease?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 4, 2005
8237 posts
899 upvotes
Brampton
+100 to the others suggesting to buy out your current GTI.

Makes far more sense in this market.

Only other possible scenario is buyout the GTI and sell privately. Then buy a 2018 golf (updated styling with the 1.8T motor that’s far superior to the current 1.4T) and hardly have any car payments.

Tho that involves more work. So just keep the GTI as the easiest choice.
[OP]
Nov 6, 2006
177 posts
68 upvotes
geokilla wrote: I guarantee you will not like the downgrade from a GTI to a Golf. The engine and transmission is very lackluster. While it's good on gas, you probably will miss the responsiveness of the GTI. Don't forget the Golf has a softer suspension too. You leased a hot hatch for a reason. Probably same reason as me? Mine was because while it's fun to drive, it also gives me the opportunity to raise a family when I settle down.

With the 2021 Golf, the MIB3 is buggy and the vehicle lacks a lot of features and equipment your GTI Autobahn currently has. For example, it doesn't come with KESSY, something very useful to have especially if you have a baby or child. I don't know if your GTI has the DAP either but the Golf Comfortline does not have the option to even add that in. I don't know about you but the DAP on my GTI, especially after OBDeleven coding, is super useful. The DAP will help you save about an additional 15% on insurance premiums too, though some insurers have started removing that discount and built it into the vehicle rate groups instead. It wasn't uncommon to see the premiums for a Golf to be higher than the GTI.

Let's assume it's an even $350/month X 36 months after taxes. That means you're going to pay $13k to rent a Golf Comfortline for 3 years. Then 3 years later, you'll have to find another car, meaning you will always have to pay for a car. From a cash flow perspective, it simply doesn't make sense to get out your lease. If you really have a cash flow issue, sell the GTI, take your positive equity, and buy a used 2010 vehicle.

If you buy out your GTI in 5 months, it's $20k + current remaining lease payments + tax. Now let's assume in 3 years time, used car prices are back to normal. Today, a fully loaded 2012 GTI is asking for $15k on AutoTrader. Let's assume it'll sell for $9k in a normal used car market.

Now to answer your question on wiggle room of a Golf Comfortline, given today's market, expect little to no wiggle room. They make it sound like they're doing you a favour by covering your payments and positive equity but that's really coming out of the lease of your new Golf Comfortline. If you need a Sales Manager, you can hit up Mike Jurban at Pickering VW. My friend returned his base GTI to him and got his last couple lease payments covered due to the current used car market. I believe he's driving his other vehicles now.
I believe the 2021 Comforline has all the major options our autobahn GTI has. Sales guy said they basically included everything in the 2021 model to get rid of them. They don't even come in manual, and there are no plans to bring in 2022+ models in North America.

I'll confirm this today as I we have a test drive at 1pm.

This is the main reason we're interested in the 2021 comfortline. Seems like you get quite a bit for the price.

I'm not sure what DAP is, but our Autobahn was the highest model at the time. It has every option available (lane assist, self parking, etc). I can't really say we used the features much, but they are nice to have. My wife like the self parking feature.

I don't think we've ever used the heated mirrors, blind spot monitoring, etc etc.
[OP]
Nov 6, 2006
177 posts
68 upvotes
ES_Revenge wrote: X3. Not sure what OP is thinking. Won't spend extra money to get an R--understandable if he has other costs--but won't save money by keeping the current car which is only $19,900, compared to a new car which will be way more--looks to be about 7-8k more money for a lower-end vehicle. Not to mention a new lease which is just a way to keep paying monthly, perpetually. I mean I'm not against doing that if you have money to waste and want a new car every few years, but doesn't sound like OP is in that position.

That said $20k lease buyout sounds rather high for a GTI...was this a 3yr lease?
It's a 4 year lease on a GTI autobahn, not the standard GTI.

I'll check today what the total buyout cost would be.

Thanks for the feedback.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
31877 posts
18865 upvotes
Toronto
Your buyout today should be around $22-23K + taxes
Deal Expert
Mar 1, 2008
16983 posts
6859 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Stangn99 wrote: I believe the 2021 Comforline has all the major options our autobahn GTI has. Sales guy said they basically included everything in the 2021 model to get rid of them. They don't even come in manual, and there are no plans to bring in 2022+ models in North America.

I'll confirm this today as I we have a test drive at 1pm.

This is the main reason we're interested in the 2021 comfortline. Seems like you get quite a bit for the price.

I'm not sure what DAP is, but our Autobahn was the highest model at the time. It has every option available (lane assist, self parking, etc). I can't really say we used the features much, but they are nice to have. My wife like the self parking feature.

I don't think we've ever used the heated mirrors, blind spot monitoring, etc etc.
It does not have all the features your GTI has. Nor the Highline. Just check the brochure and look at the car in person. If you have lane assist, you have DAP. The sales guy definitely doesn’t know what he’s talking about.
RFD is love. RFD is life.

2022 Advan Tire Winter Tire Sale
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
33181 posts
14979 upvotes
Stangn99 wrote: I believe the 2021 Comforline has all the major options our autobahn GTI has. Sales guy said they basically included everything in the 2021 model to get rid of them. They don't even come in manual, and there are no plans to bring in 2022+ models in North America.
I don't know what "everything" is for a Golf but I can confirm this is the case for VAG cars in an "extended" last year--they tend to include nearly every option for a price less than before--similar things happened with cars like EOS, Beetle, A3, TT, in the past where the car was "held over" one more year here before they either released the new model or it was discontinued altogether. In any event for all the things you "get for cheap" on the last model year car, you'd still have those things on your GTI anyway. So, it's not like you're getting something you don't have.
Stangn99 wrote: I'm not sure what DAP is, but our Autobahn was the highest model at the time. It has every option available (lane assist, self parking, etc). I can't really say we used the features much, but they are nice to have. My wife like the self parking feature.
DAP is Driver Assistance Package--including things like you mention, lane assist, auto braking, etc.

Stangn99 wrote: I don't think we've ever used the heated mirrors, blind spot monitoring, etc etc.
Heated mirrors are automatic in most VAG cars. To turn the off you have to start the car with the mirror switch in the non-centre position, otherwise the heated feature activates on its own--you'd never know it was working. But yeah heated mirrors are way overrated, you will barely ever actually need them even though they are working all the time (when freezing and below). The Golf should have those too, anyway. The BSM, pretty sure that's an auto-engaged feature as well, and you have to manually disable it if you want it off.

If you have money to burn I still wouldn't buy a new Golf over keeping the GTI. I'd just put an IS38 on the GTI and call it a day, but maybe that's just me. Heck, even that is cheaper than the price difference between the buyout and the cost of the new vehicle.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 4, 2005
8237 posts
899 upvotes
Brampton
If op is dead set on leasing then talk to them about a base model 2022 GTI.

They are due in October and I believe you have a few months left on the current lease.

Would be way better than the 2021 1.4T Golf comfortline
[OP]
Nov 6, 2006
177 posts
68 upvotes
Ok guys,

Test drove the 2021 comfortline today and, setting our expectations accordingly, was surprised with the ride. The softer ride is actually better with the baby/car seat (we brought our baby and installed the car seat to test).

Yes, it lacking all the bells and whistles I have with the current GTI, but I'm looking at lowering payments without giving away a bunch of money in lump sum. And yes, the 1.4l remind we of our old first gen Toyota Matrix.

Long story short, we worked out a deal wife and I are happy with. We were also happy with their appraisal on the GTI, along with the $750 discount, additional 2% discount, 0.5% loyalty discount on lease rate (0.49%) and free winter mats.

We'll keep the new golf for 3 years tops, once our daycare costs settle down, then we'll get ourselves into a 2025 Golf R.

We could have gone with a cheaper car (Hyundai/kia) but in all honesty we kind of like our dealer and comfortable with the size of the golf. Needing to park it in a pretty tight spot daily, it just made sense to get the same size car.

Thanks all for the feedback. I'm sure 2-3 years is going to fly by quick.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 4, 2005
8237 posts
899 upvotes
Brampton
As long as your happy with the car and the deal you got, I think you did good.