• Last Updated:
  • Apr 14th, 2021 10:52 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
11898 posts
1714 upvotes

Looking for 3.5" LED retrofit recessed lights

I currently have 3.5" cans and want to upgrade.

I see tons of these products for 4" but having trouble finding 3.5". Called jenco and they didn't have it. Any suggestions or workarounds?
6 replies
Dec 21, 2020
64 posts
38 upvotes
Assuming it's in drywall...why not just make the holes bigger.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
11898 posts
1714 upvotes
RCLapCar wrote: Assuming it's in drywall...why not just make the holes bigger.
I have the cans already in there with a regular light socket So I was hoping to use one of the retrofit kits that have a plug on it so I can just plug and go.
Dec 6, 2020
493 posts
469 upvotes
I've never seen a recessed lighting system that uses 3.5" cans. You might have something proprietary that doesn't have retrofit parts.

You might be able to get away with using retrofit LED trims designed for 3" cans if the trim is large enough.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
11898 posts
1714 upvotes
middleofnowhere wrote: I've never seen a recessed lighting system that uses 3.5" cans. You might have something proprietary that doesn't have retrofit parts.

You might be able to get away with using retrofit LED trims designed for 3" cans if the trim is large enough.
Yes I'll look at some 3" when lockdown lifts.

Not that many lights are sold as the retrofit with the light socket. Do you know if there is an adapter I can buy separately to make them work with other led lights that don't have that?
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
9487 posts
3620 upvotes
Mississauga
OP, for sure the hole is 3.5" or is the facing lip 3.5" and maybe the hole is still 3"?
Dec 6, 2020
493 posts
469 upvotes
slowtyper wrote: Do you know if there is an adapter I can buy separately to make them work with other led lights that don't have that?
I'm not sure what you mean. Do you want to use an LED trim that has a GU-24 plug rather than a medium-base screw-in connector? If this is what you need, then Home Depot has medium base to GU-24 adapters.