Looking for 4K security camera.

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 1st, 2020 10:41 am
[OP]
Oct 13, 2010
598 posts
96 upvotes

Looking for 4K security camera.

Car was smashed at night. Cops said footage from Wyze cam is useless. Almost potato quality at night.

I am looking to install a single 4K camera. Don't need an entire 4-16 channel setup.

Any suggestions?
15 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
14581 posts
15360 upvotes
Oakville
Use an old cell phone. You'll also need a very powerful IR light or even better, a motion activated flood light, which has a good chance of accessing away the thief.
Then the cops will still tell you they can't do anything, because they didn't stop and look directly at the camera or is wearing a mask.

Tldr, camera isn't going to do anything. Focus on prevention by parking indoors or increasing lighting.
Feb 27, 2007
325 posts
175 upvotes
engineered wrote: Use an old cell phone. You'll also need a very powerful IR light or even better, a motion activated flood light, which has a good chance of accessing away the thief.
Then the cops will still tell you they can't do anything, because they didn't stop and look directly at the camera or is wearing a mask.

Tldr, camera isn't going to do anything. Focus on prevention by parking indoors or increasing lighting.
Agreed - however if it makes you feel safer The Wirecutter recommends the Google Nest Cam Outdoor or the Google Nest Cam IQ Outdoor if you want the 'best'.
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2007
2375 posts
702 upvotes
Look at Reolink options, high res.
Sep 3, 2019
337 posts
187 upvotes
GTA
Had someone go through our car on the driveway. We now park inside the garage.

Best thing to do, if you can, is to deter the act from happening. You can go the extra step with parking in the garage by cutting the garage door's manual release pull cord (youtube it).

Breaking into a car is probably right at the bottom of the priority list for police. We didn't even bother to report it.

Btw, if you buy Nest or any high res cam, be sure your internet can handle using that much bandwidth.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
8860 posts
2801 upvotes
SKill7 wrote: Had someone go through our car on the driveway. We now park inside the garage.

Best thing to do, if you can, is to deter the act from happening. You can go the extra step with parking in the garage by cutting the garage door's manual release pull cord (youtube it).

Breaking into a car is probably right at the bottom of the priority list for police. We didn't even bother to report it.

Btw, if you buy Nest or any high res cam, be sure your internet can handle using that much bandwidth.

and the thieves know this. Happened to our area a few weeks back, I have them on my Wyze camera walking up and down our street at 3 AM checking for unlocked cars. Image is not clear enough to bring to the police. Video was useless in this case.
Discomfort is your friend
Sep 3, 2019
337 posts
187 upvotes
GTA
blexann wrote: and the thieves know this. Happened to our area a few weeks back, I have them on my Wyze camera walking up and down our street at 3 AM checking for unlocked cars. Image is not clear enough to bring to the police. Video was useless in this case.
I recall night time video quality being an issue for a few security cameras. If you want better quality, can try to pair it with a motion activated spotlight to light up the area you want illuminated

@OP consider using the cameras to prevent more serious crimes

resident tied up in own home during b&e
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
8860 posts
2801 upvotes
SKill7 wrote: I recall night time video quality being an issue for a few security cameras. If you want better quality, can try to pair it with a motion activated spotlight to light up the area you want illuminated

@OP consider using the cameras to prevent more serious crimes

resident tied up in own home during b&e
yea I think the spot light (getting power to it may be a problem) is a good idea. Will give that a try otherwise I'm close to giving up on Wyze and trying something else.
Discomfort is your friend
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
32339 posts
6231 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
For those using a Wyze cam, what are you expecting for 40$?

You don’t need a 4K setup either. Just get a proper camera that is hardwired to a DVR / NVR. Isn’t your family’s safety worth the investment?

The only thing a Wyze cam is good for is to let you know if the garage door is open or closed
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
11169 posts
7440 upvotes
Edmonton
blexann wrote: yea I think the spot light (getting power to it may be a problem) is a good idea. Will give that a try otherwise I'm close to giving up on Wyze and trying something else.
Without light, many cameras are going to struggle to provide a good image. 4K without enough light is still unusable.

I use one of the Ring Floodlight/Cams. I was looking for one of the screenshots I made when we caught the last person making sure our car doors were locked at 4am. It was good enough to pick out a general appearance, but I don't think you'd really pick out an individual. If nothing else, it turns on a bright light to encourage them out of the area, and it sends us a notification that someone's in an area that they aren't supposed to be.

C
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
14581 posts
15360 upvotes
Oakville
blexann wrote: yea I think the spot light (getting power to it may be a problem) is a good idea. Will give that a try otherwise I'm close to giving up on Wyze and trying something else.
If power is a problem, you can do solar or battery powered. I think motion detection lights is one of the best theft deterrents. The trouble is finding aesthetically pleasing ones.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
3935 posts
1935 upvotes
1080 or 4K, that perp is not getting caught unless they get caught in the act. Just like everyone else said, and photographers/videographers will say the same thing, light is important and lack of light or IR light, you will get potato videos.

Home Surveillance just confirms what happened, and maybe deter.

...and just good timing as Wyze just announced their outdoor wireless (battery) camera! https://wyze.com/wyze-cam-outdoor.html#pageDetails
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2005
4629 posts
459 upvotes
Burlington
I have 3 HIK Vision 4k cameras installed. Get around 1 month of recording - highly recommend.
Jan 23, 2012
436 posts
134 upvotes
Aurora, ON
I recommend Reolink cameras.
Just bought and installed the RLC-410W model above my garage.
It's 2K resolution, hardwired.
No need to do any subscription.

I fished the cable through existing light above garage door.
Easy installation.