Computers & Electronics

Looking for 7 - 9" Windows Tablet not to expensive...

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 5th, 2021 8:26 pm
Nov 9, 2009
834 posts
142 upvotes
Wellington, ON

Looking for 7 - 9" Windows Tablet not to expensive...

just need something that's handy to have in car to check email when mobile.

Has to be Windows.

Suggestions and links would be appreciated.

Regards from Wellington, ON
++++++++++++++
It's a thin line that separates a gourmet from a glutton.
49 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
8427 posts
4672 upvotes
Durham
distracted driving! way to go! Hope you get caught!
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Nov 9, 2009
834 posts
142 upvotes
Wellington, ON
Nope. Not while in motion. Obviously I didn't word that properly. I have a grass cutting biz. Often when I get home, check the email, answer queries, most of the time they found someone else. Same goes for phone calls. If you don't call back quickly, most of the time they found somebody else.

I'm with you on distracted driving.
++++++++++++++
Deal Fanatic
Jun 16, 2009
7363 posts
8629 upvotes
GTA
inhaliburton wrote: Nope. Not while in motion. Obviously I didn't word that properly. I have a grass cutting biz. Often when I get home, check the email, answer queries, most of the time they found someone else. Same goes for phone calls. If you don't call back quickly, most of the time they found somebody else.

I'm with you on distracted driving.
I'm not being a smartass, but why would this be a job for a Windows tablet? If you're on the road you use your phone to answer calls and check emails more quickly than going home to do that, Any decent phone and data plan would do the task. Android and iPhones both handle Windows email clients such as Outlook perfectly fine. Pair it with a Bluetooth headset and you.take those calls on the road as you drive. If your concern is screen size just get the biggest phone screen you can find.
c'mon get happy!
Nov 9, 2009
834 posts
142 upvotes
Wellington, ON
Hi BernardRyder,
A couple of reasons. I use MailwasherPro on my desktop, and would love to be able to use it on my Huawei Mate 20 Pro phone, but can't get the Android version to work. Apparently, the Android version hasn't been updated for over 5 years.

The Email client I use in Eudora and is Windows based. It's an old programs that I've been using for about 20 years.

Regards, Paul.
++++++++++++++
Deal Fanatic
Jun 16, 2009
7363 posts
8629 upvotes
GTA
inhaliburton wrote: Hi BernardRyder,
A couple of reasons. I use MailwasherPro on my desktop, and would love to be able to use it on my Huawei Mate 20 Pro phone, but can't get the Android version to work. Apparently, the Android version hasn't been updated for over 5 years.

The Email client I use in Eudora and is Windows based. It's an old programs that I've been using for about 20 years.

Regards, Paul.
I used to use Eudora, probably over a decade ago. Didn't realize it was still around. Hopefully it still gets security updates and will work on Windows 10.

I can't recommend a specific tablet but you might want to look into a Microsoft Surface. My wife has one and although it wasn't cheap, it's a very solid laptop/tablet hybrid. Plus there should be lower price point models than the one she has. Good luck.
c'mon get happy!
Nov 9, 2009
834 posts
142 upvotes
Wellington, ON
I have a laptop I can use, Lenovo T420, but it's kinda bulky and am less likely to use it throughout the day.

If I can find it, I bought a Chinese dual OS tablet 3-ish years ago. Will do a search to see if I can find it tomorrow. It might do the job, although I recall Windows was kind of clunky. Can't remember what version of Windows.

Nope, Eudora hasn't be updated for at least 10 years. There is a diehard bunch that still use it. Pity it wasn't kept up to date. It's open source now. I still like it better than anything else I've looked at. I use MailwasherPro to get rid of stuff I don't want to download to Eudora.

Best regards, Paul.
++++++++++++++
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2001
16514 posts
3319 upvotes
Surface Go 2
Amazon
Blacklisted companies: Roku, Lenovo, Motorola, TP-Link, D-Link, Samsung, HP, LG, Public Mobile, EVGA, Blizzard
Nov 9, 2009
834 posts
142 upvotes
Wellington, ON
JAC wrote: Surface Go 2
Amazon
Thanks, but out of my price range.
++++++++++++++
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2001
16514 posts
3319 upvotes
inhaliburton wrote: Thanks, but out of my price range.
Which is how much?
Blacklisted companies: Roku, Lenovo, Motorola, TP-Link, D-Link, Samsung, HP, LG, Public Mobile, EVGA, Blizzard
Nov 9, 2009
834 posts
142 upvotes
Wellington, ON
Nuts. I read the spec, and it's the S version of Windows.

I read somewhere that one can somehow get it to Windows 10 Home. I really like using Firefox, for one thing.

Regards, Paul.
++++++++++++++
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38392 posts
12017 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
I would get an iPad with LTE and a keyboard, purchase Jump desktop from the App Store

You can then remote into your Windows desktop at home and run Eudora with MailWasher Pro

If you want, you can also do this on your Android phone if you don’t mind the smaller screen
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2001
16514 posts
3319 upvotes
inhaliburton wrote: Nuts. I read the spec, and it's the S version of Windows.

I read somewhere that one can somehow get it to Windows 10 Home. I really like using Firefox, for one thing.

Regards, Paul.
You can take it out of S mode for free.
Nov 9, 2009
834 posts
142 upvotes
Wellington, ON
JAC wrote: You can take it out of S mode for free.
Do you think there is enough memory on the cheaper version to do so?
++++++++++++++
Nov 9, 2009
834 posts
142 upvotes
Wellington, ON
Gee wrote: I would get an iPad with LTE and a keyboard, purchase Jump desktop from the App Store

You can then remote into your Windows desktop at home and run Eudora with MailWasher Pro

If you want, you can also do this on your Android phone if you don’t mind the smaller screen
Thanks for that suggestion Gee. I used to do the remote access thing using a Windows laptop several years ago, using TeamViewer. It worked okay but was time consuming. Would be less likely to do so when out whizzing around PEC between grass cutting clients. However, if all else fails, I'll likely go that route.

The trouble with Eudora, which I'll never switch from, is there's no way to sync. Perhaps sending a Carbon Copy of posts would work so I could get posts on main PC here at home.
Last edited by inhaliburton on Mar 18th, 2021 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
++++++++++++++
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
21702 posts
17375 upvotes
Markham
Too bad for me you're in Wellington, ON.

You can check on Kijiji/Facebook Marketplace for a ZTE Grandview 4. They should be BNIB for sub $100.

Or even better...go do a bit of work by reading the thread below. It'll cost you $5/mth+tax or around $120ish -> that includes 4gb of data.

fido-4gb-lte-data-plan-10-byod-no-contr ... t-2078212/
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Nov 9, 2009
834 posts
142 upvotes
Wellington, ON
gr8dlr wrote: Too bad for me you're in Wellington, ON.

You can check on Kijiji/Facebook Marketplace for a ZTE Grandview 4. They should be BNIB for sub $100.

Or even better...go do a bit of work by reading the thread below. It'll cost you $5/mth+tax or around $120ish -> that includes 4gb of data.

fido-4gb-lte-data-plan-10-byod-no-contr ... t-2078212/
Hey thanks for the Fido link. I'm with Fido and paying 15$ / month for wifi on a LG G-Pad IV tablet that I keep in the car.
++++++++++++++
Nov 9, 2009
834 posts
142 upvotes
Wellington, ON
Just spoke to Staples in Belleville.

"Microsoft Surface Go 10" PixelSense Tablet, Intel Pentium Gold 4415Y, 64 GB eMMC, 4 GB RAM, Windows 10 Home in S mode"

Is the Surface Go version 1 edition, and the price 349$ is "clearance" price.

It's not the Surface Go 2 version, but the Go 1 version just to clarify.

Regards, Paul.
++++++++++++++