Automotive

Looking for a 7 seater SUV budget $10000

  • Last Updated:
  • Feb 15th, 2017 9:06 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2011
2073 posts
222 upvotes
Ottawa

Looking for a 7 seater SUV budget $10000

I am looking for a 7 seater SUV for my next car. It will mainly be my 2nd car and will be used when we all need to go somewhere. There will be a minimum of 2 car seats and a max of 3 car seats maybe by next year. The rest will be adults and teenagers. I have a budget of about $10,000
27 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2008
1566 posts
504 upvotes
Not a SUV but not a minivan, we got the 7 seat Kia Rondo and think it is a great value.
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2015
3185 posts
2628 upvotes
Main & Hastings
Check out the Honda pilot or Acura mdx.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 8, 2002
4232 posts
872 upvotes
Ottawa
For your budget, you are in the range of a used 2006 Honda Odyssey. Go with a minivan. Don't bother trying to be macho and put three car seats in an SUV, you will be cursing every time you are trying to strap the kids in because of how awkward it will be, and everyone will be just as miserable crammed in there because the car seats take up shoulder space.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
9806 posts
4000 upvotes
Unless you get an SUV with Captains chairs in the 2nd row (like a minivan) just get a minivan. Especially at your budget.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35631 posts
21691 upvotes
Center of Universe
Get a minivan.
You're not going to find anything close at $10k, unless you're ok at 200k km or more.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 23, 2007
1796 posts
397 upvotes
You will be rammed in most SUV with 3 car seats - just get a mini van like others say, it'll be easier to find one for 10k
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 16, 2007
1346 posts
580 upvotes
Get a minivan as suggested. The captains chairs will make it easy to get in the back seat. If you have that many car seats in an SUV, they will have to come out in order to access the back seats. Plus the 3rd row in a minivan will have more space than an SUV. The SUV is not worth it. If you must get an SUV in that price range then you can look at the pathfinder.
- Insert Something here so you will be able to recognize me.
Member
May 17, 2012
256 posts
32 upvotes
Toronto
Pilot is great. This summer i had 4 adults and 2 kids in car seats in it. 7ppl are cramed unless they are small.
I had 1 big car seat (stage 1/2) in 2nd row and stage 2 /3 car seat(smaller size) in 3rd row. Kids were fine. But sadly I agree not as good as minivan. All depends why you want an SUV as 2nd car vs minivan.
My issue was constant long distance driving in snow so AWD and high ground clearance was a must. But it was also my only car at the time.
If ur not planing on doing alot of driving through snowy norther ontario get winter tires and good minivan. Also take a look at seat compacity.
Tenagers would not fit well in suv where you got car seats instaled and ur trunk space will only be enough for 1 small stroler.

All things to consider.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2011
2073 posts
222 upvotes
Ottawa
Well pretty much if we go on long distance tripa or even to a family picnic we will still be driving 2 vehicles. So I don't think an SUV might be a problem.

Combination 1
2 Adults, 2 toddlers (4 and 2 yrs) and maybe a baby in a years time.

Combination 2
3 Full Size Adults, 2 toddlers (4 and 2 yr) and 2 young adults (19 yr old and 16 year old)

My main concern is that will a 8 year old SUV like an Acura MDX at arounf 225,000km be a good choice to buy. How many years would it realistically last with about 15-20,000km a year.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Jul 12, 2003
11657 posts
3961 upvotes
Toronto
A 7 seater SUV is expensive and in order to fit in your budget. That SUV must be old and high milage.
If you want better reliability, then you have to get something newer and increase your budget.

It is hard to accommodate cheap, reliable and fits 7 for $10000.
I agree with others to just get a mini-van. it won't be your main vehicle anyway and a mini van is always handy with family and when you need to pick up large stuff.
You will have a lot more choices.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Guru
User avatar
Oct 6, 2010
14771 posts
9190 upvotes
Toronto
masoud100 wrote: Well pretty much if we go on long distance tripa or even to a family picnic we will still be driving 2 vehicles. So I don't think an SUV might be a problem.

Combination 1
2 Adults, 2 toddlers (4 and 2 yrs) and maybe a baby in a years time.

Combination 2
3 Full Size Adults, 2 toddlers (4 and 2 yr) and 2 young adults (19 yr old and 16 year old)

My main concern is that will a 8 year old SUV like an Acura MDX at arounf 225,000km be a good choice to buy. How many years would it realistically last with about 15-20,000km a year.
lol

It's apparent you want to avoid the minivan just because of your posts, so why not get a full size van? Or get a Tahoe, Suburban. You'll spend in gas what you will repairs with a decade old Acura.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Addict
User avatar
May 24, 2008
3226 posts
1120 upvotes
Toronto
masoud100 wrote:
Combination 2
3 Full Size Adults, 2 toddlers (4 and 2 yr) and 2 young adults (19 yr old and 16 year old)
5 adults and 2 toddlers in a 10-year old MDX!!! :-0

You must not like your family very much...

Get the minivan and let everyone travel in comfort.

Remember that your budget puts brings you back to a time when 7-seater SUVs where nowhere near as space efficient as today. If I were to make a suggestion (other than a minivan), you could maybe look at a GMC Acadia. With some haggling, you might get a 2010 as low as $10k. The Acadia back then had better interior space than a Tahoe or Suburban, which would be more expensive anyway.
Out with the Glazers!
Penalty Box
User avatar
Oct 13, 2008
4837 posts
1757 upvotes
AUTOTRADER.CA ... LOOK THERE! You're bound to find a deadbeater with high mileage with under $10K in ... and then the costs to fix up things on a monthly basis ... mind as well increase your $10K to about $18K and you will find something that is a little more decent.

Be realistic with what you are looking for and how much its going to cost ...
Last edited by jdmfishingonly on Feb 14th, 2017 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2015
1094 posts
455 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
We have a Ford Explorer and it's working well for us. Two kids 6 and 2. "Might" have a third kid in 2-3 yrs time and the 6yr old will be around 8-9yrs old. He won't need a car seat by then. Even now he likes to sit at the far back. Booster seat fits fine in the 3rd row. We got the 7 seater SUV mainly because my parents visits once a while and if we decide on a third kid, we still will have room in the SUV.

Depends when you plan on having your third. Two car seats take a lot of space and hardly any room left in the middle seat. Forget having an adult sit in between. You will need to remove one of the car seat and put it back every time someone has to go in the back.

I believe combo 1 SUV would work. But combo 2 no. Minivan would world better.

We bought it in 2014. I think we paid around $35k
Last edited by ckay1980 on Feb 14th, 2017 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35631 posts
21691 upvotes
Center of Universe
ckay1980 wrote: We have a Ford Explorer and it's working well for us. Two kids 6 and 2. "Might" have a third kid in 2-3 yrs time and the 6yr old will be around 8-9yrs old. He won't need a car seat by then. Even now he likes to sit at the far back. Booster seat fits time in the 3rd row. We got the 7 seater SUV mainly because my parents visits once a while and if we decide on a third kid, we still will have room in the SUV.

Depends when you plan on having your third. Two car seats take a lot of space and hardly any room left in the middle seat. Forget having an adult sit in between. You will need to remove one of the car seat and put it back every time someone has to go in the back.

I believe combo 1 SUV would work. But combo 2 no. Minivan would world better.

We bought it in 2014. I think we paid around $35k
Explorer owner here also (MY2016) and have the captain chair configuration, with a middle pass through for a total of 6 seats.
Too bad OP won't find one with his $10k budget.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2011
2073 posts
222 upvotes
Ottawa
Currently I drive a 2009 Sonata. I usually have myself (Driver), my wife in front passenger and then 2 car seats in each back corner and young adult (16-19 year old in between and there is no problem. My oldest child (4 year old gets in to the car and car seat himself and only needs help with the belts to secure him. The same goes with my 2nd child. Any 7 seater SUV I do buy would have to have 2 captain chairs. My kids can go all the way to the back seats of the SUV by themselves. Regarding a 2009 Acura MDX being unreliable I am not sure about the reviews of the vehicle but it looks good and I am guessing parts are similar to a Honda thus not expensive. I do take my vehicle to an independent mechanic thus labour is cheaper compared to dealers or other mechanics as I also pay them in cash. Parts I also buy from a Part Store where I know the owner and he reduces my bill. I am just not sure how much mileage would a 2009 Acura MDX last. If it is only going to last me till 300,000km that would mean I would have paid $10,000 for a car that lasts me 2.5 years. What about other vehicles such as Mazda CX-9 or Honda Pilot (which for some reason are priced cheaper than what I expect). The Nissan Pathfinder I like the newer models 2012/13 and up, the older ones don't have a good look.
Sr. Member
Apr 5, 2010
874 posts
134 upvotes
Buy an ex-police/ex-RCMP Tahoe or Suburban off GCplus. Very reliable, roomy, durable, and will for sure be under 10k. I would send it for an interior detail before daily driver duties.
Member
May 30, 2013
451 posts
505 upvotes
Markham
From all his replies, the OP just doesn't want a minivan. Lol.
Deal Addict
User avatar
May 24, 2008
3226 posts
1120 upvotes
Toronto
masoud100 wrote: Currently I drive a 2009 Sonata. I usually have myself (Driver), my wife in front passenger and then 2 car seats in each back corner and young adult (16-19 year old in between and there is no problem. My oldest child (4 year old gets in to the car and car seat himself and only needs help with the belts to secure him. The same goes with my 2nd child. Any 7 seater SUV I do buy would have to have 2 captain chairs. My kids can go all the way to the back seats of the SUV by themselves. Regarding a 2009 Acura MDX being unreliable I am not sure about the reviews of the vehicle but it looks good and I am guessing parts are similar to a Honda thus not expensive. I do take my vehicle to an independent mechanic thus labour is cheaper compared to dealers or other mechanics as I also pay them in cash. Parts I also buy from a Part Store where I know the owner and he reduces my bill. I am just not sure how much mileage would a 2009 Acura MDX last. If it is only going to last me till 300,000km that would mean I would have paid $10,000 for a car that lasts me 2.5 years. What about other vehicles such as Mazda CX-9 or Honda Pilot (which for some reason are priced cheaper than what I expect). The Nissan Pathfinder I like the newer models 2012/13 and up, the older ones don't have a good look.
If you absolutely want the MDX, just get the MDX - nobody here will convince you otherwise. However, that third row is extremely tight. Also, I always thought the MDX only had two seats in the third row, meaning the second row is a bench - no captain's chairs. I think you need to look at the Highlander for that. Or, the Acadia/Traverse that I mentioned before.
Out with the Glazers!

Top