• Last Updated:
  • Feb 19th, 2015 6:40 am
[OP]
Jan 31, 2010
370 posts
137 upvotes
St. John's

Looking for Advice (Bell)

I'm pretty sure what I'm going to have to do here, but I thought I would pose the question to all the experts that float around these great forums, and see if someone has any suggestions.

The situation:

I currently have an S3 from Bell that is on a 3 year contract (signed in July, 2012). My plan on this phone is one that I have carried over from my old Palm Pre (Unlimited data, fab 10, etc), which is great, however I don't get LTE provision because of the unlimited data. I'm in the situation now where I need to purchase a new phone out of necessity, and I don't want to sign another contract and will be purchasing this new phone outright. I'm told by the Bell rep in store that I will not be able to carry over my unlimited data package to the new phone as they are being phased out. So, if I go and purchase a new phone from Bell, I am forced to change rate plans which will cost me around an extra $30/month if I go with the absolute minimum for my needs of 2GB package.

I've called into the bell call centre and was told that if I buy out of my contract, it will be $126.67

So, my question is this. Do I have no choice but to stick with Bell until the end of my contract (or pay the $126.67 / June 3rd crtc changes), or is there any sort of loophole due to me needing to buy a new handset and being forced to pay more on the same contract? I know technically its my "choice" to get a new phone, but if I'm being forced to be kept to the contract, then they should be forced to allow me to keep my plan, no?

I'm pretty sure my options are only:
  • Bite the bullet, pay the cancellation penalty, and go elsewhere for a better plan
  • Buy the phone, stick with bell for a few months, then pay the unlock charge and move on
Thoughts?
26 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2011
3840 posts
623 upvotes
I would purchase a phone outright and run on the plan until they take it away... Just because the contract ends doesnt always mean they will end the plan the same day..
Dec 26, 2014
686 posts
579 upvotes
ON
Buy a phone outright. There are many options out there. If you really like the s3, I believe Koodo sells them for $150 outright, and can be unlocked pretty cheap. Otherwise, check London drugs. They sell great prepaid phones always on sale, and can be unlocked cheap. I would not give up the plan that you have.
[OP]
Jan 31, 2010
370 posts
137 upvotes
St. John's
shushwap wrote: I would purchase a phone outright and run on the plan until they take it away... Just because the contract ends doesnt always mean they will end the plan the same day..
I will be purchasing a phone outright no matter what as my S3 is unusable. Because I have to change phones, they are not letting me keep my plan any longer, and I have to take something of higher price. This is what I'm facing now.

Edit: Or do you mean get a phone from a third party and just swap my sim card? Is there anywhere that sells new (latest) phones that aren't carrier specific?
Dec 26, 2014
686 posts
579 upvotes
ON
cquilliam wrote: I will be purchasing a phone outright no matter what as my S3 is unusable. Because I have to change phones, they are not letting me keep my plan any longer, and I have to take something of higher price. This is what I'm facing now.

Edit: Or do you mean get a phone from a third party and just swap my sim card? Is there anywhere that sells new (latest) phones that aren't carrier specific?
Yes, buy a phone outright, take sim card from current phone, put in new phone. Bell cant change anything if you do not modify your contract, buying a phone from an outside source has zero impact on your agreement with bell.

Here is a solid phone at a good price: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/171569243169?var ... 1423.l2649
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2013
6075 posts
1861 upvotes
Manila, Philippines
Buy your phone outright don't listen to them just run your plan until they will take it away beside hspa its not bad yes you have LTE but you will get 2gb. So stick on your plan as long as you can.
FreedomMobile 35% Friends & Family
[OP]
Jan 31, 2010
370 posts
137 upvotes
St. John's
Thanks for all the advice. I'm going to try and find somewhere to buy the phone on its own, and then do a sim swap. I would prefer somewhere reputable and local instead of resellers on ebay and kijiji.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2013
6075 posts
1861 upvotes
Manila, Philippines
cquilliam wrote: Thanks for all the advice. I'm going to try and find somewhere to buy the phone on its own, and then do a sim swap. I would prefer somewhere reputable and local instead of resellers on ebay and kijiji.
Go to Virginmobile kiosk easy to buy phone outright. There phone will work on bell no need to unlock it.
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2011
3840 posts
623 upvotes
How much are u looking to spend on a phone
May 21, 2014
418 posts
59 upvotes
Toronto, ON
cquilliam wrote: I'm pretty sure what I'm going to have to do here, but I thought I would pose the question to all the experts that float around these great forums, and see if someone has any suggestions.

The situation:

I currently have an S3 from Bell that is on a 3 year contract (signed in July, 2012). My plan on this phone is one that I have carried over from my old Palm Pre (Unlimited data, fab 10, etc), which is great, however I don't get LTE provision because of the unlimited data. I'm in the situation now where I need to purchase a new phone out of necessity, and I don't want to sign another contract and will be purchasing this new phone outright. I'm told by the Bell rep in store that I will not be able to carry over my unlimited data package to the new phone as they are being phased out. So, if I go and purchase a new phone from Bell, I am forced to change rate plans which will cost me around an extra $30/month if I go with the absolute minimum for my needs of 2GB package.

I've called into the bell call centre and was told that if I buy out of my contract, it will be $126.67

So, my question is this. Do I have no choice but to stick with Bell until the end of my contract (or pay the $126.67 / June 3rd crtc changes), or is there any sort of loophole due to me needing to buy a new handset and being forced to pay more on the same contract? I know technically its my "choice" to get a new phone, but if I'm being forced to be kept to the contract, then they should be forced to allow me to keep my plan, no?

I'm pretty sure my options are only:
  • Bite the bullet, pay the cancellation penalty, and go elsewhere for a better plan
  • Buy the phone, stick with bell for a few months, then pay the unlock charge and move on
Thoughts?
The store reps are trying to hustle you. Buying a phone outright does not change the plan, subsidy or the contract you have now.

All you have to do is buy the phone from them outright and switch the sim card. Better to call in than deal with bell store reps who just want comission.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2013
3038 posts
1054 upvotes
A small town north o…
polizeifritz wrote: If you really like the s3, I believe Koodo sells them for $150 outright
Not any more, they're gone.
[OP]
Jan 31, 2010
370 posts
137 upvotes
St. John's
d1ulove3 wrote: Go to Virginmobile kiosk easy to buy phone outright. There phone will work on bell no need to unlock it.
I didn't think about this. But, are you sure Virgin phones will work with bell automatically? I know its the same towers, but is the service transferable like that?
shushwap wrote: How much are u looking to spend on a phone
I'm getting the S5, its mandatory, not my choice.
wserib wrote: The store reps are trying to hustle you. Buying a phone outright does not change the plan, subsidy or the contract you have now.

All you have to do is buy the phone from them outright and switch the sim card. Better to call in than deal with bell store reps who just want comission.
Its making a little more sense to me now. But, I recall the last time I went through this a few years ago, they told me they couldn't sell me a phone unless they activated it on my account. Is this different now? Or should I just purchase it on the website or something instead?
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2011
3840 posts
623 upvotes
cquilliam wrote: I didn't think about this. But, are you sure Virgin phones will work with bell automatically? I know its the same towers, but is the service transferable like that?

Its making a little more sense to me now. But, I recall the last time I went through this a few years ago, they told me they couldn't sell me a phone unless they activated it on my account. Is this different now? Or should I just purchase it on the website or something instead?
Any Bell... Virgin...Telus...Koodo...Rogers...Fido phone will all work on each others networks once they are unlocked...
Unlocking is cheap and easy with most phone except for Iphones they can get expensive to unlock..
Pick up the best deal on a new S5 you can and then have it unlocked pop in your sim and away you go
There is no need to tell bell anything about purchasing a new phone
[OP]
Jan 31, 2010
370 posts
137 upvotes
St. John's
shushwap wrote: Any Bell... Virgin...Telus...Koodo...Rogers...Fido phone will all work on each others networks once they are unlocked...
Unlocking is cheap and easy with most phone except for Iphones they can get expensive to unlock..
Pick up the best deal on a new S5 you can and then have it unlocked pop in your sim and away you go
There is no need to tell bell anything about purchasing a new phone
Didn't the new CRTC rules make mention of carriers having to unlock customer phones on request provided they've had it under contract for 90 days, or have bought it outright? Or was there no mention of the fees associated with it, and carriers just charge a crap load more for iphones?
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2013
3038 posts
1054 upvotes
A small town north o…
cquilliam wrote: I'm getting the S5, its mandatory, not my choice.
Say what??????
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2011
3840 posts
623 upvotes
cquilliam wrote: Didn't the new CRTC rules make mention of carriers having to unlock customer phones on request provided they've had it under contract for 90 days, or have bought it outright? Or was there no mention of the fees associated with it, and carriers just charge a crap load more for iphones?
They do have to unlock them for a FEE !!!!
Ebay is just about always cheaper... For instance my Moto X was $4 to unlock on Ebay and Telus wanted $35
May 21, 2014
418 posts
59 upvotes
Toronto, ON
cquilliam wrote: I didn't think about this. But, are you sure Virgin phones will work with bell automatically? I know its the same towers, but is the service transferable like that?

dont go to the store. call in to bell mobility billing department/retentions and have them ship you the phone. you dont have to activate the phone. just pop in the old sim and you are done.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2013
6075 posts
1861 upvotes
Manila, Philippines

Yes I'm 100% it will work ouf of the box.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2013
3038 posts
1054 upvotes
A small town north o…
cquilliam wrote: But, are you sure Virgin phones will work with bell automatically? I know its the same towers, but is the service transferable like that? I'm getting the S5, its mandatory, not my choice.
You seem to be confused. There's no connection between the phone and the service, they operate independently. The service travels with your SIM. When you take your Bell SIM and put it in a Virgin phone, that phone becomes a Bell phone. The same applies for any unlocked phone... as soon as you put your Bell SIM in there, it becomes a Bell phone.

For them to say you must buy an S5 from them is outrageous, you can buy any phone you like, and you can buy it from anywhere you like. Some phones will have to be unlocked before you can use a Bell SIM in them, some won't, but the phone you use has no effect on your service.
Nov 5, 2006
365 posts
244 upvotes
Toronto
This thread and the OP are ridiculous, and it's likely all sound advice will fall on deaf ears anyhow.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)