[OP]
Deal Addict
May 22, 2007
1004 posts
172 upvotes
GTA ON

Looking for Advice on Building a Gaming PC

Hi,

I'm looking for advice from all the experts here on building a gaming PC as I have no idea what to look for and what to buy. I'm not a heavy gamer, but I do want to build something that is relatively future-proof for the next 4-6 years, with the ability to upgrade components if necessary. I'm playing Valorant (FPS game) atm, but I'm not limiting my gaming to only FPS type games. My budget is about $1K.
9 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
36194 posts
9452 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Find an adequate video card that will play the games you want. nVidia is rumored to release a new card in the next few months

Never understood why people say “future proof”. It doesn’t exist. If we could see in to the future, we would built that computer today.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 22, 2007
1004 posts
172 upvotes
GTA ON
Havo wrote: $1k budget with or without monitor?
without monitor
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2007
2156 posts
379 upvotes
Vancouver
Hi,

At least you're willing to tell us what game you will be playing. Going with the game's recommended system requirements.
https://www.systemrequirementslab.com/c ... rant/19638
Found this system on Parts Picker.
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/guide/tTgXs ... ming-build
You can probably reduce the cost of the build by going with an AMD chip, reducing the cpu memory or downgrading the GPU to the GTX 1050 Ti.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2016
2592 posts
1498 upvotes
Ontario
Depending what monitor you already have (resolution and if your keeping it a while), get the best video card you can afford and the rest has far less effect on gaming then it. For example get a 2070S and build rest of system around it... Most any modern CPU/MB combo will be fine and its just SSD size, half decent psu, amount of memory, and case after that...
·Ï¢årµ§·
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2016
2980 posts
3333 upvotes
the most you're patient the better chances to get a good deal on rfd on a pre built computer for cheap there are often deals, i havent seen many lately but with the next gen gpu coming out soon id expect a bit more to show up.
Jul 11, 2015
333 posts
150 upvotes
Victoria, BC
this was great when i built mine back in 2012.

pretty sure they update it all the time so it should be relevant for your use.

https://www.logicalincrements.com/

i think its usd, so keep that in mind. but yeah pretty amazing resource for building ur pc. i built my compputer in 2012 only upgraded the gpu and everything is running pretty flawless and fast still. biggest factor is probably the ssd in the last 10 years though. cpu isnt such a biog deal for me, as the most intense stuff i do is music production software, and i never seem to have any issues of coming close to running anything to the max. still running i5-2500k and seems screaming fast still.

so if u wanna save money just buy stuff from like 5 years ago, used even, if its good shape, which it should be, im sure it will still be insanely fast. honestly i look at used stuff all the time and it blows my mind how good a tower u can buy for like $500 now. especially the tower/powersupply, getting that used, can probably save a bit. than just make sure u got a decent enough gpu if gaming/video editing is what ur after, but the other factor which is also maybe more important is the cooling on ur gpu/cpu. i know when i upgraded the stock cooling on my cpu all issues with running the system to the max really opened up. so make sure u get a great cpu cooler. some say water cooling is what u need(and it probably is beast, but maybe overkill for most). I got a decent heat sync one for like $50 brand new, and ever since my cpu has never come close to getting hot based on what ive thrown at it. before it used to run hot if i had too much going. like it would run at 50-70C, frequently, but not it never goes higher than like 30-35C. keeping things cool will also save their life big time as the heat usually leads to them wearing out faster.
~You're the average of the five people, you most associate with.~
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29051 posts
14592 upvotes
Gee wrote: Never understood why people say “future proof”. It doesn’t exist. If we could see in to the future, we would built that computer today.
Exactly.
For me I'd much rather purchase a midrange card a bunch of times than try to buy one really good card and "stretch" it.
It's less roller coastery.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.