• Last Updated:
  • Aug 23rd, 2019 11:44 am
[OP]
Aug 18, 2019
7 posts
2 upvotes

Looking for advice buying from AliExpress

Hello,

I am a long time lurker here and I finally decided to create an account! I am looking at buying a phone from AliExpress and I am looking for suggestions not to get scammed. The seller I am looking at is ETEAM Store. The product I am looking to buy is the ROG Phone 2 Tencent Edition.
Here is the link https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000103 ... 3c008ELFf2

Does anyone have any experience with the seller? Is there any way to protect myself if I buy the product? Any general suggestions before making a purchase on AliExpress?

This is my first time buying from the site and I was hoping the RFD community would have some advice.
17 replies
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
13270 posts
2494 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
I've only ordered <$50 items, although usually <$20, so can't say about getting scammed. I either get it or not. Only once did I not get money back (~$2) because I was a nice guy and let Buyer Protection lapse, due to it being Chinese New Year. (The sellers there are like any other Chinese seller; getting money from them is pulling teeth, and they'll lie to avoid giving it to you.)

One tip, if you're not aware, is that you can pay in CAD. Just change it from USD to CAD at the top of the page. Unlike eBay, which lets sellers charge in whatever currency they want, Aliexpress lets buyers pay in whatever currency they want (well, I've only tried CAD).
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
7884 posts
4516 upvotes
Alberta
I've done the same and only ordered cheap stuff that if I didn't get it or the quality is crap I don't lose a lot and have to send it back. Returning an item such as a phone that doesn't work will likely cost you $60. And who knows if they will even give you a refund or exchange. But, I've never had any issues with receiving an ordered item from Aliexpress and have placed about 20 orders also. Once I was surprised that I received more that what was listed and the item was better than expected. You can also check the reviews of the sellers other listed items to see what others are saying.
[OP]
Aug 18, 2019
7 posts
2 upvotes
Thanks for the advice! I am still considering if I should order the phone or not. It seems there is some inherent risk to ordering from AliExpress.

I have also checked reviews for the seller and it is 98% positive. Still, the one star reviews usually involve receiving a defective or used item instead of new.

Again, I appreciate all the advice. Thank you!
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2011
1258 posts
1783 upvotes
rabbit wrote: One tip, if you're not aware, is that you can pay in CAD. Just change it from USD to CAD at the top of the page. Unlike eBay, which lets sellers charge in whatever currency they want, Aliexpress lets buyers pay in whatever currency they want (well, I've only tried CAD).
Where exactly is this, because I can't find it.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
7884 posts
4516 upvotes
Alberta
SpyingEnvy wrote: Thanks for the advice! I am still considering if I should order the phone or not. It seems there is some inherent risk to ordering from AliExpress.

I have also checked reviews for the seller and it is 98% positive. Still, the one star reviews usually involve receiving a defective or used item instead of new.

Again, I appreciate all the advice. Thank you!
It doesnt matter where you buy an item or what you buy because you could receive a defective, used or damaged one etc. Companies don't test every single unit. Prime example, I took 2 Nikon D5500 DSLR's from Airmiles Rewards when we were told that our points were going to expire. Both were brand new in unopened packaging, one was good and the other one had a bad sensor and circuit board.
[OP]
Aug 18, 2019
7 posts
2 upvotes
I know that happens. Some of the reviews mentioned struggling to return the item or getting their money back. With AliExpress it might be a bit harder to get your money back than Amazon for example. Still, I'm still thinking I'll pull the trigger on the purchase if the phone supports the bands I'm looking for.

The advice and personal experiences on this thread have been phenomenal! Thank you so much!
Oct 10, 2010
503 posts
404 upvotes
I've brought 100s items worth up to 100$ USD, no complains. They (looked) same items as listed in Amazon (for 200$) or Groupon for similar prices
Apr 13, 2010
549 posts
273 upvotes
Loyalist, ON
I've made a couple hundred dollar order on AliExpress, as well as lots of cheap orders.

That will ship with AliExpress Standard Shipping, which, in my experience, it always something that can be tracked to your door (either UBI or ePacket). You could pay extra for faster shipping if you want. While DHL once got my order to me in 3 days from China, they also always charge you duty, whereas if it gets delivered by Canada Post, you might get charged duty, but usually not.

I'm sure that the seller would insure the package for something that expensive. You can always ask them.
Gabe of Gabe's Hacks
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
19109 posts
7186 upvotes
Toronto
I have bought 100s of items but never over $50. Spending $700 is insane from a seller with 0 reviews on this item.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35724 posts
21807 upvotes
Center of Universe
Just initiate a chargeback with your CC, if you end up getting scammed.
Oct 22, 2016
719 posts
609 upvotes
Comox Valley
SpyingEnvy wrote:
For the reviews, I will be very cautious on taking them at face value. I ordered some glasses there, and when I received them, they were crap, not the 5 star reviews that was posted.

Saying that my overall experience with them are positive on 30 plus orders. Some not received, but I got the money back.

For your phone, and that cost, I would have to say, not worth it.
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
13270 posts
2494 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
rabbit wrote: One tip, if you're not aware, is that you can pay in CAD. Just change it from USD to CAD at the top of the page. Unlike eBay, which lets sellers charge in whatever currency they want, Aliexpress lets buyers pay in whatever currency they want (well, I've only tried CAD).
couponmummy1 wrote: Where exactly is this, because I can't find it.

Don't kick yourself :D .
alipay.png
Apr 13, 2010
549 posts
273 upvotes
Loyalist, ON
Exchange rates aren't as bad as PayPal, but they aren't as good as they could be. I don't know what they pay their sellers in, but lets assume it's USD. I took a random item for this experiment. They want $32.99 USD, or $44.56 CAD. That's an exchange rate of 1USD = 1.35CAD.

If you have a credit card with no foreign exchange fee, like the Home Trust Visa, then the exchange rate you would get today is 1USD = 1.33CAD. That's ~2¢ savings per dollar. Not much, but it's something.
Gabe of Gabe's Hacks
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2014
6228 posts
2509 upvotes
Canuckland
vkizzle wrote: Just initiate a chargeback with your CC, if you end up getting scammed.
It’s a real pain in the ass as they require “expert letter” if damaged
[OP]
Aug 18, 2019
7 posts
2 upvotes
Holy I got way more replies than expected! You guys have all been great!

Since there are no reviews on the item from the seller and it is a huge purchase, I decided to wait a few more weeks and see if anything changes. Other than that I am waiting to see if any good deals pop on another phone I'm looking at.

This thread has been crazy helpful! If anybody can think of ways to save on aliexpress or tips on how to shop there, please feel free to post it! Aliexpress still offers the best price on both phones I'm interested in so I'll check this thread regularly until it dies out.

Thank you all so much again!
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2005
6076 posts
1572 upvotes
Looks like AX is copying whatever is on August 26. There's a $2 off $10 coupon for 200 coins, so 20% off any cheap junk you want to buy. There's also a $3 off $30 and $5 off $50.
⬆⬆⬇⬇⬅➡⬅➡BA

「上上下下左右左右BA」