Looking for advice on low frequency noise coming from condo common element

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 26th, 2021 10:37 am
Jun 23, 2010
362 posts
264 upvotes
North York

Looking for advice on low frequency noise coming from condo common element

I'm looking for advice on dealing with low frequency noise coming from my condo's comment element (indirectly from heat pump). It's a pulsing low frequency noise that hums 3 times per second and I have already complained to the condo manager about this noise and they sent engineers to reduce the noise. I didn't notice any difference in the noise reduction and the condo manager said they couldn't find the source of the majority of the low frequency noise. The noise happens when the heat pump is on and goes away when the heat pump is off. However, the noise is not directly coming from the heat pump. This low frequency noise started earlier this year, and wasn't there before in the previous 5+ years. What else can I do?
Check my user name on eBay
4 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2007
4153 posts
4626 upvotes
Toronto
nonfatalexec wrote: I'm looking for advice on dealing with low frequency noise coming from my condo's comment element (indirectly from heat pump). It's a pulsing low frequency noise that hums 3 times per second and I have already complained to the condo manager about this noise and they sent engineers to reduce the noise. I didn't notice any difference in the noise reduction and the condo manager said they couldn't find the source of the majority of the low frequency noise. The noise happens when the heat pump is on and goes away when the heat pump is off. However, the noise is not directly coming from the heat pump. This low frequency noise started earlier this year, and wasn't there before in the previous 5+ years. What else can I do?
could be a vibrating pipe or something that is in that area...... you would need someone to inspect it really closely

I had a similar issue with a gigantic generator on a nearby condo construction across the street, Not fun.
Deal Expert
Feb 22, 2011
16521 posts
21867 upvotes
Toronto
My neighbors kids would always play outside and scream, very distracting. I just got used to always having background noise. Either a fan, radio, TV or white noise app.
Jun 23, 2010
362 posts
264 upvotes
North York
joepipe wrote: could be a vibrating pipe or something that is in that area...... you would need someone to inspect it really closely

I had a similar issue with a gigantic generator on a nearby condo construction across the street, Not fun.
What type of professional would I look for? Am I looking for an acoustical engineer?
Check my user name on eBay
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2007
4153 posts
4626 upvotes
Toronto
nonfatalexec wrote: What type of professional would I look for? Am I looking for an acoustical engineer?
no I would just talk a couple HVAC people and explain the situation, see if they can think of what it is and come by to inspect it