Computers & Electronics

Looking for Advice: Network (WIFI) Hardware for 150+ Devices?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 13th, 2021 8:40 am
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2005
1119 posts
474 upvotes

Looking for Advice: Network (WIFI) Hardware for 150+ Devices?

Currently I have this setup which is excellent but experiencing some drops lately specially when downloading:

1X AC-5300 (DDNS/Skynet/VPN etc/Merlin Firmware) - Approx 35 Devices connect to this - Speedtest 400mbit wifi
1X RT-88U (AIMESH + Hardwired Merlin Firmware) - Approx 35 Devices connect to this - Speedtest 400mbit wifi
1X Bluecave (AIMESH + Hardwired Asus Firmware) - Approx 35 Devices connect to this - Speedtest 400mbit wifi
1Gigabit FTTH (BELL) - 15 hardwired devices - Constant advertised speeds.

Approx 120 devices (smart pot lights, smart locks etc, cameras @ 3700sqft) - but still growing....

Was thinking - purchase the AXE11000 @ $800CAD and make it my main router as I definately will be purchasing wifi 6E laptops and own 2 Wifi 6 phones - or purchase some Ubiquiti wifi 6 AP's and replace the AIMESH? Would you recommend to go all out with the Dream Machine Pro?

Would like to hear input from people who have many devices on their network on what they are using

Asus has done me well - I only get drops when downloading multiple files - then require a hard reset - mostly 95% problem free.
26 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2020
1405 posts
1686 upvotes
Asus has known stability issues when serving IoT devices. That's probably why your APs are locking up. Buying more Asus stuff likely won't fix your problem.

Ubiquiti has got into enough sketchy behavior lately that it's best to look at other options.

For 150 devices, I would:

1. If you don't have it already, install wired backhaul for your APs.
2. Replace your Asus APs with TP-Link or actual enterprise-grade APs (e.g. Aruba, Rukus, Cisco, etc). Do not exceed 50 wifi devices per AP.
3. Configure the APs to use non-overlapping channels (1, 6, 11 in 2.4 Ghz). Do not exceed 100 wifi devices per channel.
4. Replace your router with a low-power PC running OPNSense.
5. Get a VLAN-capable (smart, or managed) switch.
6. Partition your network by VLANs to reduce the size of your layer 2 broadcast domain.

Or, alternatively, if money is no object, hire a CWNP to design and implement a wifi network for you.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2005
1119 posts
474 upvotes
Thank you - looking into your recommendations.

Just to add - all devices are hardwired (backhaul)

0 Drops day to day - only when downloading via qbitorrent

To circumvent this issue I lowered connections in the qbitrrent client- the asus aimesh is able to handle everything else no problem (usenet 110mbit download while streaming netflix) and all smart devices work no issues like lights/routines etc.
Last edited by Cybersid on Sep 24th, 2021 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
May 19, 2003
3674 posts
2028 upvotes
This is exactly why not to use wifi for IOT. It's simply not designed to scale up. This is where Smartthings is the best solution.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2005
1119 posts
474 upvotes
I hear ya, maybe going forward I will consider.

Literally everything is functional from dryer/sprinker/myq etc otherwise. When using usenet 0 drops... Something to do with the amount of connections via TCP on Asus when using qbitorrent...
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2020
1405 posts
1686 upvotes
Cybersid wrote: Something to do with the amount of connections via TCP on Asus when using qbitorrent...
That sounds like the NAT connection state table on the router is running out of space. The only "work-around" (so to speak) is to upgrade to more powerful gear that can sustain more active connections.

Router manufacturers usually don't publish connection limits so your only real choice is something heavyweight, like OPNSense/pfsense, or professional-level router/firewall devices.
Last edited by middleofnowhere on Sep 24th, 2021 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2005
1119 posts
474 upvotes
middleofnowhere wrote: That sounds like the NAT connection state table on the router is running out of space. The only "work-around" (so to speak) is to upgrade to more powerful gear that can sustain more active connections.

Router manufacturers usually don't publish connection limits so your only real choice is something heavyweight, like OPNSense/pfsense or professional-level router/firewall devices.
Fantastic insight, will definately check this out.
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2006
1396 posts
1058 upvotes
GTA
Zigbee, Z-Wave and Thread are the way forward. Try to wean yourself off wifi devices and go move to one of those protocols for lower network overhead.
"Just because something is on sale doesn't mean a) you can afford it, b) you should buy it, c) you need it, d) you're not spending far more buying it than not buying it at all"
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2004
2907 posts
924 upvotes
Toronto
Cybersid wrote: ... when using qbitorrent...
Short answer: The SoC/processor does not have the brute strength to handle the workload.
For in depth details: arstechnica

The ASUS GT-AXE11000 make use of a Broadcom BCM4908 (1.8 GHz, quad core) but it's still just an ARM chip intended for SOHO use.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2008
2356 posts
1558 upvotes
Toronto
Stop mixing Aimesh and Merlin.
Since you're using Aimesh, revert back to the normal Asus firmware.

I think that Merlin even has a warning about this.

My largest network is one of 9 routers. The 9 are needed because of all of the steel throughout the building.
I also made the mistake in mixing Merlin firmware with Aimesh and noticed issues. Other than a bad firmware, Asus firmware with Aimesh has been stable.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2005
1119 posts
474 upvotes
Canuck_TO wrote: Stop mixing Aimesh and Merlin.
Since you're using Aimesh, revert back to the normal Asus firmware.

I think that Merlin even has a warning about this.

My largest network is one of 9 routers. The 9 are needed because of all of the steel throughout the building.
I also made the mistake in mixing Merlin firmware with Aimesh and noticed issues. Other than a bad firmware, Asus firmware with Aimesh has been stable.
Very interesting, didn't know that there was a warning. I have one node NOT on aimesh. But it's so strange everything is working absolutely fine, no reboot for weeks. Only issue occurred when using qbitorrent (since I limited connections on tcp there have been no issues).

Will check out the warnings, much appreciated!
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2008
2356 posts
1558 upvotes
Toronto
Cybersid wrote: Very interesting, didn't know that there was a warning. I have one node NOT on aimesh. But it's so strange everything is working absolutely fine, no reboot for weeks. Only issue occurred when using qbitorrent (since I limited connections on tcp there have been no issues).

Will check out the warnings, much appreciated!
Ummm, who is your provider. It wouldn't be Cogeco would it?
Cogeco kills torrent connections and knocks out your internet.

The only sure way around this is to use a VPN.

I'm not sure who else does this though but I wouldn't bee surprised if this is causing you issues.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2005
1119 posts
474 upvotes
Bell FTTH, but still get around 900mbit download on torrents from private sites. Just have to limit connections.Other download protocols max out (not to be mentioned :)) and still can stream Netflix/plex with no buffering etc.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
8929 posts
6615 upvotes
SW ON
Canuck_TO wrote: Ummm, who is your provider. It wouldn't be Cogeco would it?
Cogeco kills torrent connections and knocks out your internet.
The explanation of OP's problems is just a few posts above.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
13378 posts
8308 upvotes
Brampton
Use the $800 and Get a real network. Like you have planned.

Use pfsense/opensense or Ubiquiti Edge Router/Unifi Dream Machine Pro /UXG gateway.

Use real APs, I like Unifi APs and have an AP Pro and AC AP Lite serving Wifi 70 devices and ~80 network devices. They just released AX gear.
I know for example Canadas Wonderland uses Unifi Gear.

Even TP-Link Omanda APscan handle 100 clients.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2005
1119 posts
474 upvotes
Actually I resolved this, added nest wifi and popped in all my IOT devices into it, disabled 2. 4ghz on asus getting around 600mbit on aimesh, 400mbit on nest wifi.

No errors, no drops, torrents work now.
Got a great deal BNIB for 3 node nest wifi on Kijiji ($100!!)

For those wondering, yes i had 120 connections online, usenet worked amazing NO crashes. Torrents would crash the router when reaching speeds of 900mbit. Plex /Netflix/iptv would work simultaneously on Aimesh even when using usenet never crashed.

Nest is not advanced, but does the job for me as I don't care if it drops to 100mbit as it's for smart home stuff. No interference on any of my 5GHZ devices.

I will probably grab the axe11000 soon as my ac5300 dies. Asus has done me well.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
shutterbug wrote: This is exactly why not to use wifi for IOT. It's simply not designed to scale up. This is where Smartthings is the best solution.
You spelled Zigbee wrong.
Cybersid wrote: Torrents would crash the router when reaching speeds of 900mbit.
Torrents crash every consumer router I've ever tried, especially at volume.
There's a reason I use pfSense although with their duckery I might switch to opnsense.
For EIGHT HUNDRED DOLLARS?!?! I can build a $200 pfSense (even that's overkill... you can get an old i5 office machine for like $100) and spend the other $600 on a bunch of APs.

I'd also start splitting out all your IoT stuff and stuff it on a separate network if for no other reason than security. IoT isn't known to be the most secure.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2005
1119 posts
474 upvotes
[quote="death_hawk" post_id=35065105 time=1633276482 user_id=55078]

You spelled Zigbee wrong.

Torrents crash every consumer router I've ever tried, especially at volume.
There's a reason I use pfSense although with their duckery I might switch to opnsense.
For EIGHT HUNDRED DOLLARS?!?! I can build a $200 pfSense (even that's overkill... you can get an old i5 office machine for like $100) and spend the other $600 on a bunch of APs.

I'd also start splitting out all your IoT stuff and stuff it on a separate network if for no other reason than security. IoT isn't known to be the most secure.[/quote]

Pfsense can't do wifi, and I like warranty and a solution I don't need to configure. Asus worked for 1000's of terabytes for over 7 years and never had any problems. Also I have 3 devices that would saturate the new wifi 6e offered on asus axe11000.

Yeah I split the ssid day once I got the nest. 0 problems full speed now or torrents and asus, not one drop this week. Using TL/FTN/RT... Usenet maxes out as usual (110-115mbit). Using merlin firmware on all three nodes with modules like skynet etc.

For now the nest MESH and aimesh work perfect side by side.

Update: added 9 more devices to nest total 100, and aimesh had 31. No problems. No speed changes. Everything just works.
Last edited by Cybersid on Oct 4th, 2021 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
May 19, 2003
3674 posts
2028 upvotes
death_hawk wrote: You spelled Zigbee wrong.
No I didn't. Zigbee is a protocol within Smartthings. There's plenty of stuff on Z wave as well. I'm not going to limit myself to just one protocol.
Smartthings is the most widely supported ecosystem for IOT. It's far from perfect but best for now.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
shutterbug wrote: Zigbee is a protocol within Smartthings.
Yeah you can reigster Smartthings things via Zigbee. But IIRC Smartthings itself is cloud enabled which most people should try to eliminate.
If you control the network, you're never at the mercy of the cloud provider. With Smartthings at least you can move all your stuff to Zigbee later but I'd rather just do it now rather than later.
There's plenty of stuff on Z wave as well. I'm not going to limit myself to just one protocol.
I get the point, but Zwave stuff is typically significantly more expensive.
433 is pretty interesting as well.
Smartthings is the most widely supported ecosystem for IOT. It's far from perfect but best for now.
I guess it also depends on how much work you want to put in.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)