Looking for advice regarding mercedes glc 250, or any crossover

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 18th, 2019 11:54 am
Banned
Nov 22, 2018
91 posts
137 upvotes
Get her a decent, safe, compact car.

A new Corolla or Mazda 3 will have a decent interior and probably some safety features (blind spot alert, rear camera, etc).

I'm sure the upgrade from a 2001 Corolla to any modern vehicle will be a luxurious change for her.
[OP]
Mar 5, 2019
29 posts
8 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote: A used Mercedes is one that the previous owner no longer wanted to pay the maintenance bill for or that the pre paid maintenance has expired and they have to pay for it now. That and it needs premium gas. You are not doing your Mom a a favor by buying a used Mercedes and having her tied to a Mercedes dealership for her driving pleasure.
If you have rented a Mercedes and you wont have one because you are concerned about maintenance and reliability, why would you stick your Mother with that problem?
For the same money you can get a Rav4 or Subaru and it will be new with all the warranty that goes along with it.
Oh and, you are buying it for her or you are steering her towards spending her money to buy it? LOL
Lol, id have to but i admit i like it more than her
ES_Revenge wrote: If you're calling a GLC250 interior "insanely beautiful" with ultra-tacky ghetto-fabulous tablet-glued-on-dash look, you must be accustomed to driving some real garbageboxes, lol. Like what year is the most recent car you've driven other wise, 1992? CLA250 is even worse, that bucket of bolts! :lol:
oh man, i used to drive a 98 camry, and bought a 2000 camry to replace that (with only 140k!!), and my other two cars are 60s muscle cars, so any new car is worlds ahead. I sat in my buddys nissan sentra last year and thats what got me considering a new car. Sentras have an amazing interior!

Aside from the dog like transmission on the cla, it really wasnt a bad car. Had blindspot assist, heated seats, those little paddle things.. i can totally see why ppl drive these. However, the entire cars electronic, you cant even open the door with a physical key. I feel like youd pretty much have t toss the car once the electronics start failing
MP3_SKY wrote: Get her a brand new Japanese CUV or SUV, it will last her another 10yrs + with less risk of stuff breaking down.
There is a reason why the used MB, BMW are cheap, because everyone is getting rid of them after warranty expire or lease is over.

You can get a 2010 E550 for $19k just barely over 100k KM, it is so tempting, but I personally don't have guts to bring any of those home. I want a car that brings me around, not a car that tell me that it needs to go to garage for repairs.

I don't think your mom is a mechanic or a DIYer or someone that likes to go to garage often.

The GLK250 (or GLA)??'s interior is not that much better than a Japanese.
Any car can be luxury now if you are willing to add all the options and packages on it.
my bad glc300, the coupe one. it would technically be my car that she would drive. id have to take care of the maintenance. the only reason i even considered this car i because the low mileage it would need to put on
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
55324 posts
20177 upvotes
Hoping my daughter gets me a BEV to replace my 02 Civic.

Sounds like some of you have had some damn luck with German cars. Were most issues engine and transmission related?

Other than those and electrical gremlins, they can be repaired at specialty indies right?
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
31730 posts
13061 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote:

I suspect he is looking at a older model GLC class vehicle (250?) , a used vehicle. He did say he saw "the glc 250 and i've seen some around the 35-40k range "
Think he just messed up because the base/entry model for the CLA and A are "250". There never was a GLC250 in Canada, the lowest is GLC300. As mentioned, the GLC250 does exist, just not in Can/US markets.
Islapaste wrote: oh man, i used to drive a 98 camry, and bought a 2000 camry to replace that (with only 140k!!), and my other two cars are 60s muscle cars, so any new car is worlds ahead. I sat in my buddys nissan sentra last year and thats what got me considering a new car. Sentras have an amazing interior!
It seems like basically anything modern you'd consider as "amazing" then, lol. Not all of these are "amazing" and the Sentra is certainly nothing special either, from what I can see. Just be careful in giving too much praise due to essentially being out of the automotive loop for decades.

The cars (MB and otherwise) with ghetto-tastic "tablet-glued-to-dash" design should never be considered "beautiful". Yes beauty is in the eye of the beholder but this kind of trash came about not because of thought or expensive but because of laziness and cheapness. What do you think costs more to develop and manufacture? An actually-innovative LCD instrument cluster that's been put in to replace a traditional IPC and has it's styling blended in/"molded" to the dashboard design? Or just making a plain/straight dash design and then slapping a tablet-looking thing(s) on there in what would otherwise be described as an afterthought? It's lazy, cheap, garbage and has only been done like that to save costs on design, implementation, and manufacturing. The only people this kind of thing impresses are teenagers and those of the "YouTube generation" that like to think anything likened with a smartphone or tablet (teenagers' favourite items), must be "cool" and "amazing" :rolleyes:

Cars where you have the arguable "older style" pop-up/pop-out LCDs also have way more work put into them than the permanent "glued on dash" nonsense some carmakers are trying to pass off as "design" nowadays.

If you're over 30, the tablet-on-dash thing should just scream things like, "afterthought", "out of place", "cheap", and "nonsense". Unfortunately because people are actually oohed and ahhed with this sort of crap, they become dangerous trends in automotive design. For more of this type of nonsense have a look at a video like this one:

Islapaste wrote: Aside from the dog like transmission on the cla, it really wasnt a bad car. Had blindspot assist, heated seats, those little paddle things.. i can totally see why ppl drive these. However, the entire cars electronic, you cant even open the door with a physical key. I feel like youd pretty much have t toss the car once the electronics start failing.
TBH you're just naming random tech improvements that seem to have some "wow factor" to you since you haven't driven anything newer than two decades old on a daily basis. These are not things that are actually found only on lux cars like MB, etc., they're actually found on all cars down to Civic and Corolla. In fact, you're likely to get many of these things standard or in mid-level trims/option packages on "regular" cars while on luxury cars (which are already expensive) they're often add-on options at even more cost. I always make the joke that Audi, for example, would probably charge you more for the seat and steering wheel as "options" if they could get away with such a thing :lol: (NB: I don't mean here that you shouldn't buy an Audi, MB, BMW, but just to be aware of the higher costs.)

In short? Don't get "wowed" and fooled by tech options and think this suddenly makes something "beautiful" or "amazing" when it's really just stuff that's become the norm these days in cars.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36265 posts
10486 upvotes
Ottawa
ES_Revenge wrote: Think he just messed up because the base/entry model for the CLA and A are "250". There never was a GLC250 in Canada, the lowest is GLC300. As mentioned, the GLC250 does exist, just not in Can/US markets.

It seems like basically anything modern you'd consider as "amazing" then, lol. Not all of these are "amazing" and the Sentra is certainly nothing special either, from what I can see. Just be careful in giving too much praise due to essentially being out of the automotive loop for decades.

The cars (MB and otherwise) with ghetto-tastic "tablet-glued-to-dash" design should never be considered "beautiful". Yes beauty is in the eye of the beholder but this kind of trash came about not because of thought or expensive but because of laziness and cheapness. What do you think costs more to develop and manufacture? An actually-innovative LCD instrument cluster that's been put in to replace a traditional IPC and has it's styling blended in/"molded" to the dashboard design? Or just making a plain/straight dash design and then slapping a tablet-looking thing(s) on there in what would otherwise be described as an afterthought? It's lazy, cheap, garbage and has only been done like that to save costs on design, implementation, and manufacturing. The only people this kind of thing impresses are teenagers and those of the "YouTube generation" that like to think anything likened with a smartphone or tablet (teenagers' favourite items), must be "cool" and "amazing" :rolleyes:

Cars where you have the arguable "older style" pop-up/pop-out LCDs also have way more work put into them than the permanent "glued on dash" nonsense some carmakers are trying to pass off as "design" nowadays.

If you're over 30, the tablet-on-dash thing should just scream things like, "afterthought", "out of place", "cheap", and "nonsense". Unfortunately because people are actually oohed and ahhed with this sort of crap, they become dangerous trends in automotive design. For more of this type of nonsense have a look at a video like this one:

TBH you're just naming random tech improvements that seem to have some "wow factor" to you since you haven't driven anything newer than two decades old on a daily basis. These are not things that are actually found only on lux cars like MB, etc., they're actually found on all cars down to Civic and Corolla. In fact, you're likely to get many of these things standard or in mid-level trims/option packages on "regular" cars while on luxury cars (which are already expensive) they're often add-on options at even more cost. I always make the joke that Audi, for example, would probably charge you more for the seat and steering wheel as "options" if they could get away with such a thing :lol:

In short? Don't get "wowed" and fooled by tech options and think this suddenly makes something "beautiful" or "amazing" when it's really just stuff that's become the norm these days in cars.
I think the OP, like so many, are just brand enamored. Just because it is a Mercedes, it is Wow!.... Labels are everything. :)
My CR-V had all the "wow" things he is overwhelmed with LOL
Oct 2, 2017
797 posts
573 upvotes
life is short. don't buy a CRV if you don't like it. Most of these "horror" stories are just that.
I'll see you at the top, cause the bottom is too crowded
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6912 posts
5813 upvotes
Burlington
There's no GLC 250. There are GLC 300 (newer model, starting 2016) and GLK 250 (old models).

If it's GLK 250 for 35-40k, that's way too overpriced, for a 3-4+ year old car. Your maintenance is going to whack you.
If it's a GLC 300, 35-40k might be reasonable depending on the package.
But for 35-40k, you can probably get a brand new Lexus NX. New car, Regular gas, cheap maintenance.

I have GLC 300 2017, bought in Sep 2016, it's good, we liked the interior and the conveniences inside - but my car is almost fully loaded.
Apr 11, 2009
643 posts
264 upvotes
Toronto
konsensei wrote: There's no GLC 250. There are GLC 300 (newer model, starting 2016) and GLK 250 (old models).

If it's GLK 250 for 35-40k, that's way too overpriced, for a 3-4+ year old car. Your maintenance is going to whack you.
If it's a GLC 300, 35-40k might be reasonable depending on the package.
But for 35-40k, you can probably get a brand new Lexus NX. New car, Regular gas, cheap maintenance.

I have GLC 300 2017, bought in Sep 2016, it's good, we liked the interior and the conveniences inside - but my car is almost fully loaded.
NX takes regular?
I do not put 87 in ours, I'm pretty sure it take premium
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6912 posts
5813 upvotes
Burlington
sandini_power wrote: NX takes regular?
I do not put 87 in ours, I'm pretty sure it take premium
what does it say on your fuel tank's door? I only know someone doing regular on 300h because it actually says minimum octane 87
Apr 11, 2009
643 posts
264 upvotes
Toronto
konsensei wrote: what does it say on your fuel tank's door? I only know someone doing regular on 300h because it actually says minimum octane 87
the hybrid takes regular, the 200t/300 needs premium
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6912 posts
5813 upvotes
Burlington
sandini_power wrote: the hybrid takes regular, the 200t/300 needs premium
did not know that. what a bummer then

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)