• Last Updated:
  • Aug 30th, 2021 11:47 am
[OP]
Nov 18, 2013
307 posts
106 upvotes
Toronto

Looking for advice from a tax accountant

Hi...not sure if anybody on here is a tax expert but I have a question about deducting moving expenses. My spouse is transferring jobs from Toronto to Victoria. He will be moving there in October (renting until we sell and get a house there). I will follow with the kids at the end of next June so they can finish the upcoming school year here in Ontario.

I know there are all sorts of moving expenses we can deduct (real estate fees, moving expenses, travel etc etc etc) but I am concerned about the timing. Does the fact that he will go out there 8 months before we sell the house and actually relocate the family affect our deduction?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
4 replies
Aug 23, 2021
215 posts
213 upvotes
pinkmanwhite wrote: Hi...not sure if anybody on here is a tax expert but I have a question about deducting moving expenses. My spouse is transferring jobs from Toronto to Victoria. He will be moving there in October (renting until we sell and get a house there). I will follow with the kids at the end of next June so they can finish the upcoming school year here in Ontario.

I know there are all sorts of moving expenses we can deduct (real estate fees, moving expenses, travel etc etc etc) but I am concerned about the timing. Does the fact that he will go out there 8 months before we sell the house and actually relocate the family affect our deduction?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
This link will provide the answers https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency ... enses.html
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2017
5223 posts
5262 upvotes
Ottawa
FYI - moving expenses are one of the top expenses that the CRA verifies. Make sure that you keep all receipts as in all likelihood the CRA will be asking for them.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2007
1685 posts
2132 upvotes
BC
pinkmanwhite wrote: I know there are all sorts of moving expenses we can deduct (real estate fees, moving expenses, travel etc etc etc) but I am concerned about the timing. Does the fact that he will go out there 8 months before we sell the house and actually relocate the family affect our deduction?
There is no stipulation in the Income Tax Act regarding the timing when the moving expense may be incurred to be eligible, so you may claim a moving expenses that is related to the relocation subsequent to the actual relocation date.