• Jul 4th, 2020 11:24 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2002
15082 posts
6636 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Looking for alternative to iVideon for home IP cam server

The server that iVideon offers will no longe be free come mid-July. I need to find an alternative in place of iVideon. Looking for some suggestions from fellow RFDers.

My current setup is as follows:

- 4 Wyze V2 cameras with the RTSP firmware loaded.
- iVideon server running on my Windows Server 2012 Essential R2.
- Remote access using web interface from any browser, or dedicated iOS app on my mobile devices.
- The RTSP feeds are also piped into Homebridge (using HOOBS running on Raspi4) to allow for the camera feeds to show up on the Home app.

I'm looking for an alternative that gives me the following features that I've enjoyed most about iVideon:

1. Server software running on Windows server. Since my Windows server is on 24/7, I'd like to have the NVR software on the server as well. However, if there's a strong candidate available running on another platform, I'm willing to get new hardware for it as long as it's not overly expensive.

2. The NVR software needs to be on par with what iVideon offers (multi-cam view, option to record continuously, on schedule or by motion detection, event view, timeline at the bottom of the camera view where I can visually see which camera recorded and be able to scrub to pinpoint an exact event, notification of events to mobile devices).

3. No subscription fees. I'm ok with purchasing the NVR software as long as it meets my needs and I don't need to pay for cloud or subscription fees.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm ok with moving the NVR software to a raspberry Pi if a different platform is required.

Thanks for any help or advice you can provide.
6 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2007
2886 posts
1006 upvotes
Get Blue Iris, it has a free trial.period with nothing crippled
[OP]
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2002
15082 posts
6636 upvotes
Toronto, ON
vodka wrote: Get Blue Iris, it has a free trial.period with nothing crippled
Read up on the V5 major release that came out last year and was considering it when I saw a video that says the remote management feature requires a separate license key for each copy of Blue Iris.. That's ridiculous. I'll be installing it on my server but it's a headless server so I'll need to get at least another license to be able to control the "server" remotely from my main computer?
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2007
2886 posts
1006 upvotes
rvs007 wrote: Read up on the V5 major release that came out last year and was considering it when I saw a video that says the remote management feature requires a separate license key for each copy of Blue Iris.. That's ridiculous. I'll be installing it on my server but it's a headless server so I'll need to get at least another license to be able to control the "server" remotely from my main computer?
I run it in a VM by itself, GUI, so can't comment on the headless implementation I'm afraid.
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2008
3869 posts
1305 upvotes
rvs007 wrote: Read up on the V5 major release that came out last year and was considering it when I saw a video that says the remote management feature requires a separate license key for each copy of Blue Iris.. That's ridiculous. I'll be installing it on my server but it's a headless server so I'll need to get at least another license to be able to control the "server" remotely from my main computer?
I've tried various software when trying to decide which one to go with, each had some sort of restrictions or cost involved that i didn't like.

After a few months i purchased BI as that really did everything i really wanted. It has a Web server so you don't need to purchase anything else for monitoring, just use any web browser. I RDP into my server if i need to manage anything and use Chrome for viewing.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2002
15082 posts
6636 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I emailed Blue Iris and asked them about the extra license I would need on my 2nd computer that I would mainly use to access the BI install on my server. They said subsequent licenses can be purchased at half price after the first. While it softens the blow a bit, it's still quite a money grab. I will follow the suggestion to use the web server and see how it performs first. I heard the web server doesn't have all the administrative tools available, but for accessing the camera and the recordings hopefully it will be sufficient.
Dec 24, 2004
217 posts
154 upvotes
Saint Hubert
vodka wrote: Get Blue Iris, it has a free trial.period with nothing crippled
Be careful, unless things have changed in a recent release, the trial of Blue Iris does not allow Direct-To-Disk Recording, so your CPU usage will be much higher than it really would be if you had the Full version.

Great software though. While your license only allow updates for 1 year, you can renew if anything comes out at a lower price for another year. Of course, if your current version does everything you need, you wouldn't need to update.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)