Thanks
35 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
27188 posts
13184 upvotes
Ottawa
How about an wifi indoor camera?
Lots of options on Amazon, or the Chinese online retailers.
Mar 14, 2008
491 posts
107 upvotes
Toronto
As the above user noted, since you already have an iPad you may want to consider a wifi camera. I recently picked up the YI 1080p Home Camera Your text to link here.... I tested out the camera plus the app and both work very well with our phones and tablet.

We decided against a traditional baby monitor as it is a single purpose item and we wouldn't have a use for it once our kid gets bigger.
Jan 19, 2007
491 posts
83 upvotes
Toronto
I got this one: https://www.amazon.ca/Reolink-Indoor-Wi ... way&sr=8-5

It's a wifi camera with Android and iPhone apps. Great quality sound and video. Only downside is for night vision, it uses IR lights so I turn it off and use it as a audio only monitor at night. A big thing is the app and camera access needs passwords to get into it.

Review vs the wyze:
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2006
2940 posts
382 upvotes
riseagainstthemachine wrote:
Apr 2nd, 2019 1:24 pm
i got this one

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B076H3 ... UTF8&psc=1

It works great and the night vision is really nice and clear.
Is it possible to use this without the cloud?

For my use case as a baby monitor, I would like to be able to view the stream on my devices on my LAN but I don't need to record it or access it from outside of home. I would feel more "secure" knowing that the stream is not being recorded anywhere.
Nov 19, 2018
9 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
We got Nanit long rage baby monitor. The picture quality is excellent and can zoom in. You can take pictures, get a highlight reel video of the nights activities, and have any number of family members have access. I also got the bundle with the multistand which can be used for travel. And it does have an iOS app. Also we've subscribed to Nanit Insight so it collects and provides all this data about when baby wakes/sleeps which helps us see how the night went and when he's able to get himself back to sleep etc.
Overall it's a little spendy, but wife likes it.
Last edited by flatbear on Apr 5th, 2019 6:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2016
1061 posts
407 upvotes
We use Philips Avent. My wife is too paranoid about creep on internet to use any cloud based solution. If you insist on Ipad, perhaps Nest Cam indoor? Not cheap, but perhaps you get what you pay for.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2017
1153 posts
465 upvotes
poorwingman wrote:
Apr 3rd, 2019 8:35 pm
Is it possible to use this without the cloud?

For my use case as a baby monitor, I would like to be able to view the stream on my devices on my LAN but I don't need to record it or access it from outside of home. I would feel more "secure" knowing that the stream is not being recorded anywhere.
I have not used it much because my baby is being born next week but the way I will use it is just as a cam that we can look in on. We have a noise activated audio only baby monitor that got handed down to us, so if i turn the cloud off the only drawback is that it wont have a notification for movement, which I am ok with.
Got that Zoomer account!
Feb 29, 2016
189 posts
21 upvotes
Mississauga
Why don't you use the app called "BABY MONITOR" available on iOS. It is a paid app ($8 or so) and you can connect multiple devices (if they are on family sharing) by paying just $8 one time. Works well for us.

The good thing is that we don't have to carry any additional device with us and we carry our phone pretty much everywhere so it's not a hassle.
The bad thing is that the phone must become unusable during the monitoring time.

For us, it made more sense to use this IOS app rather than buying a separate monitor.

Thanks,
Rohan.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2003
4303 posts
799 upvotes
Kingston
no8t4 wrote:
Apr 2nd, 2019 2:32 pm
I got this one: https://www.amazon.ca/Reolink-Indoor-Wi ... way&sr=8-5

It's a wifi camera with Android and iPhone apps. Great quality sound and video. Only downside is for night vision, it uses IR lights so I turn it off and use it as a audio only monitor at night. A big thing is the app and camera access needs passwords to get into it.
I got this too. It works great! I've been using it for over 1yr with no problems. We keep night mode on and the red lights from the camera don't bother my son. He's only interested in it if he sees it move or I speak through it to him.

Here are some night mode samples..

Caleb Cam_live_1551464157753.jpg
Caleb Cam_Caleb Cam_live_1536491011636.jpg
Caleb Cam_CH01_live_1535768597099.jpg
Apr 24, 2017
69 posts
18 upvotes
We use the Yi Home camera that Moomen referred, it works wonders. We have an audio only monitor as well which we used in the first couple of months when our kid was sleeping in the bassinet in our room. Once we moved her to her own room, we found that video was more convenient.

Both the Yi Home and the Wyze have micro SD card slots and as such can record directly on the memory without having it stored to the cloud.
When we looked at buying the camera, we also thought what are we going to do with it later on. I plan on re-purposing the camera as either a front door monitor, or living room monitor.
Jan 19, 2007
491 posts
83 upvotes
Toronto
Tha DraGun wrote:
Apr 9th, 2019 3:07 pm
I got this too. It works great! I've been using it for over 1yr with no problems. We keep night mode on and the red lights from the camera don't bother my son. He's only interested in it if he sees it move or I speak through it to him.

Here are some night mode samples..
Yeah, I was worried (maybe unjustifiably) about the red lights bothering my daughter. If I want to check on her, I'll just turn it on from the app or walk into the room to check on her. I've had this cam for about 6 months and it has worked amazingly well. Glad I'm not the only one who thinks so!

Reolink is having a sale on Amazon.ca right now. About $10 off for the C1 Pro. I'm thinking about getting another one to watch what my cat does all day... haha