Personal Finance

Looking at becoming insurance agent. Is WFG any good?

• Last Updated:
  • May 27th, 2019 6:04 pm
[OP]
Oct 22, 2018
13 posts
15 upvotes

Looking at becoming insurance agent. Is WFG any good?

Hi All,

I am planning to become a part time insurance agent who can work with various insurers.
A friend of mine works at WFG (World Financial Group) as Sr Director and he has been forcing me from past 6 months to join WFG because WFG allows me to work with all insurers.
I looked up WFG online and most likely its a scam.

I am looking for an alternative to WFG which would allow me to become an insurance agent who can work with various insurers. I am planning on doing this part time. Can anyone please advise.
Also, what kind of costs (licensing, desk fee, etc) can i expect? What is the commission structure generally? Do I have to work under a brokerage?
1 reply
Sep 23, 2013
508 posts
286 upvotes
Windsor, Ontario
needdealsxyz wrote: Hi All,

I am planning to become a part time insurance agent who can work with various insurers.
A friend of mine works at WFG (World Financial Group) as Sr Director and he has been forcing me from past 6 months to join WFG because WFG allows me to work with all insurers.
I looked up WFG online and most likely its a scam.

I am looking for an alternative to WFG which would allow me to become an insurance agent who can work with various insurers. I am planning on doing this part time. Can anyone please advise.
Also, what kind of costs (licensing, desk fee, etc) can i expect? What is the commission structure generally? Do I have to work under a brokerage?
Definitely avoid WFG. As for a brokerage, there are a lot of different ones you could look into, but more important than the actual brokerage is the training you'll get. Unfortunately it seems like most companies or brokerages are just looking for warm bodies and don't provide the best training. In addition to that, if you're looking for PT work, expect even less attention.

This is a tough industry to be in, coming in part time will be even tougher. Look into Financial Horizons or ask around for friends or family for a referral to a broker they may know.

I'd also recommend, if you plan on ever doing this full time, to maybe look into a captive company. I might get flak for this but look into a company that has leads provided to you while you learn the ropes of the industry. A lot of companies that are captive have books of business you can prospect, the downside is that you wouldn't own any of your clients.
Life and Health Insurance Agent.
Licensed with 8 companies, access to nearly a dozen more.