Cell Phones

Looking for the best/addordable plan for my mother on ODSP with phone/text and data?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 20th, 2021 11:16 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
5706 posts
3909 upvotes

Looking for the best/addordable plan for my mother on ODSP with phone/text and data?

Hi all!

My mother is currently using Freedom Mobile I believe she is on the "Freedom Nationwide Talk + Text + 1.5GB" for $19 a month with the $5 digital discount. This is a pre-paid plan, not post-paid.

Is there any better plans anyone could recommend to someone on a limited budget with possibly more data?

Also, if there are any government or organizations that offer plans to people with low income or on ODSP, I'd appreciate the information so I can better my mothers financial standing and plan!
6 replies
Feb 29, 2020
243 posts
69 upvotes
Just to confirm, your mother spend $14.00 + Taxes a Month with 1.5Gb of Data?
TheSlav wrote: Hi all!

My mother is currently using Freedom Mobile I believe she is on the "Freedom Nationwide Talk + Text + 1.5GB" for $19 a month with the $5 digital discount. This is a pre-paid plan, not post-paid.

Is there any better plans anyone could recommend to someone on a limited budget with possibly more data?

Also, if there are any government or organizations that offer plans to people with low income or on ODSP, I'd appreciate the information so I can better my mothers financial standing and plan!
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
5706 posts
3909 upvotes
DeJesus wrote: Just to confirm, your mother spend $14.00 + Taxes a Month with 1.5Gb of Data?
No, looks like she pays $19 after the $5 discount, it's $24 before the discount.

The main thing for her is, she'd like more data as she goes for walks sometimes and uses WhatsApp to stay in touch with family out of country on her walks.

I know $19 a month MAY sound like it's nothing to you and I. But living from $1000ish a month is not a lot when you factor in all essential life necessities. So I was hoping to shop for a better plan for her.
Feb 29, 2020
243 posts
69 upvotes
I see, so looking for a better plan, cheaper pricing with more data? That’s what you looking for?
TheSlav wrote:

The main thing for her is, she'd like more data as she goes for walks sometimes and uses WhatsApp to stay in touch with family out of country on her walks.

I know $19 a month MAY sound like it's nothing to you and I. But living from $1000ish a month is not a lot when you factor in all essential life necessities. So I was hoping to shop for a better plan for her…
Dec 4, 2017
622 posts
316 upvotes
The best overall prepaid plan of this type is the $25 one from Lucky Mobile. It is a subsidiary of Bell and uses their top notch network. Data speeds are capped to "3G speed" but actually run on LTE where available, so most users never notice. After the main data allotment is used up each month (1 GB on autopay), service continues at 2G speed of 128 kbps, enough for casual browsing, email, Google Maps, and VoIP. To my knowledge, it is the only service on that network that has prepaid billing, unlimited voice/text/data, and no overage charges.

https://www.luckymobile.ca/shop/plans/prepaid

Also, there is a program to get decent home Internet service for about $10/month, generally suitable for a single user (10+ Mbps, at least 100 GB). It started out in social housing, and is now more broadly available for many people on low-income. I know someone who has it and it works well -- even the 100 GB cap seems to not be enforced. Most of the major ISPs participate. https://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/111.nsf/eng/home
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
5706 posts
3909 upvotes
IanBrantford wrote: The best overall prepaid plan of this type is the $25 one from Lucky Mobile. It is a subsidiary of Bell and uses their top notch network. Data speeds are capped to "3G speed" but actually run on LTE where available, so most users never notice. After the main data allotment is used up each month (1 GB on autopay), service continues at 2G speed of 128 kbps, enough for casual browsing, email, Google Maps, and VoIP. To my knowledge, it is the only service on that network that has prepaid billing, unlimited voice/text/data, and no overage charges.

https://www.luckymobile.ca/shop/plans/prepaid

Also, there is a program to get decent home Internet service for about $10/month, generally suitable for a single user (10+ Mbps, at least 100 GB). It started out in social housing, and is now more broadly available for many people on low-income. I know someone who has it and it works well -- even the 100 GB cap seems to not be enforced. Most of the major ISPs participate. https://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/111.nsf/eng/home
Thank you for the informative reply!

I will pass on the home Internet to people in need of this service. The Lucky Mobile seems like a good deal.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)