• Last Updated:
  • Nov 30th, 2016 9:36 pm
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2013
3234 posts
1383 upvotes
Quebec

Looking for best PS4 PRO hdd

With the pro around the corner I've been looking at HDD upgrades and saw that the pro supports says 6GBPS.

So was looking at hard drives and heard about this one

Seagate 2TB Firecuda Gaming SSHD SATA 6GB/s 64MB Cache 2.5" Hard Drive

Issue is that the 2TB doesn't seem to exist in canada. ( for 2.5 inches)

You guys know what hdd is the best one for PS4 pro?

Thanks
18 replies
Deal Guru
Dec 1, 2004
12038 posts
5146 upvotes
Without the PRO being out, it's hard to tell what's "best" It will be all speculation at this point, but obviously any decent SSD would be a good start, with hybrid in second. I belive the factory ones are still only SATA2, despite SATA3 support interface on the PRO
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2007
2471 posts
2945 upvotes
Toronto
If its anything like the original the difference between an ssd and a hybrid will be minimal at best. Both options, however, will be a step up from whatever hdd comes in the box.
Bored...
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2013
3234 posts
1383 upvotes
Quebec
BYan wrote: If its anything like the original the difference between an ssd and a hybrid will be minimal at best. Both options, however, will be a step up from whatever hdd comes in the box.
yeah but Sata III 6GB SSHD are hard to find with 2 TB

Best one i found is

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01LX1 ... EEQB&psc=1

But it's still a 5400RPM and not a SSHD
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2010
2210 posts
696 upvotes
Edmonton
Definitely wait until the Pro comes out and some benchmarks are done by other people.

Digital Foundary was saying in their early preview that they'd be cautious about expecting any boost going from SATA 2 to SATA 3 since SATA 2 supports up to 300 MB/s but was only getting 20 MB/s on the PS4 regular.
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2005
11677 posts
3489 upvotes
Victoria
Yah I was going to port over my current mechanical hard drive (2tb I Pulled out of a Seagate Backup Plus). SSD's aren't quite big enough yet. A Hybrid Drive could work, but I'll use what I have until something better comes along.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
4156 posts
522 upvotes
with SATA-III confirmed I already got a spare ssd ready to go in.
for any drives that are not for data/archiving I'm going forward with flash memory only.
Russell wrote: We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Deal Addict
May 7, 2006
1320 posts
111 upvotes
I did my research for PS4 Pro. For the speed and value, Samsung 850 EVO is my pick.
Intel 2600K @ 4.5Ghz / 8GB
Asus P8P67 DELUXE / Asus GTX 780
Antec 900 Mid Tower / Corsair H70 / XFX 850W Power Supply
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2013
3234 posts
1383 upvotes
Quebec
happyplato wrote: I did my research for PS4 Pro. For the speed and value, Samsung 850 EVO is my pick.
Doesn't the PS4 games takes alot of space on the HDD even if you buy physical games?

Unless you have 400$ to spend on a 1 TB :P
Deal Guru
Dec 1, 2004
12038 posts
5146 upvotes
ratatapa wrote:
happyplato wrote: I did my research for PS4 Pro. For the speed and value, Samsung 850 EVO is my pick.
Doesn't the PS4 games takes alot of space on the HDD even if you buy physical games?

Unless you have 400$ to spend on a 1 TB :P
They usually do, but I guess some people don't care. I wish the PS4 would support USB 3.0 external HDDs. I find that to be a lot better (and cheaper) option on the Xbone for loading times vs the internal one
Deal Fanatic
Apr 1, 2004
5180 posts
1273 upvotes
It's less of an issue on PS4 because install times are generally much faster vs XB1; you can usually play a game within seconds/a few minutes.

Having an option to support external drives would be nice, but personally I prefer having the ability to upgrade the internal drive.
Deal Guru
Dec 1, 2004
12038 posts
5146 upvotes
rahzel wrote: It's less of an issue on PS4 because install times are generally much faster; you can usually play a game within seconds/a few minutes.

Having an option to support external drives would be nice, but personally I prefer having the ability to upgrade the internal drive.
Xbone is the same way as well, you never have to wait for full installs. But I was talking about load times, not initial install times. I find games load/ start up faster from my external 3.5 USB HDD.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 1, 2004
5180 posts
1273 upvotes
That's not what I've heard. I've heard several people complain about certain games taking a very long time to install and be able to play on XB1. Their tech for installing games doesn't seem to be as good as PS4.
I believe PS4 has dedicated hardware that can decompress zlib on the fly, which allows developers to compress their data confidently knowing that it can be decompressed quickly. I haven't had to wait longer than 2 minutes to play a game before, and usually it takes <1m for me.

Everyone I've spoken to that has both systems says that the PS4 is generally faster to install games, without question.
Deal Guru
Dec 1, 2004
12038 posts
5146 upvotes
I have them both, but I've never tried install the exact same game from disc, to be able to actual tell you. Anyway, this is all irrelevant to this thread.
Aug 20, 2009
9827 posts
5935 upvotes
Everything on the Bone takes longer (patching, installation, loading sometimes even) but I usually just go make a drink and its done when I get back. I understand the criticism but I don't think its a big deal in practice. One aside though, I wish the Bone would support delta patching like the 360 did again. Having to download massive 15-20GB patches constantly is really weird and it feels like a regression from the 360.

I do agree though that having the ability to upgrade the internal drive is preferable to using an external, simply because you have to format the external and can't use it for other purposes. At least with an internal drive I'm not usually swapping it around between systems, its just dedicated to one purpose. Ideally I would just get the option of doing both but companies are strange.

In terms of the best PS4 Pro HD, I would look for a cheap 1TB SSD on black friday and just go with that. Games are roughly 30-50GB, less for indie stuff. I generally don't need my entire library installed, I'm usually only playing 1-2 games at once so even if I went all digital I just wouldn't need 2TB of space.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2007
2471 posts
2945 upvotes
Toronto
rahzel wrote: That's not what I've heard. I've heard several people complain about certain games taking a very long time to install and be able to play on XB1. Their tech for installing games doesn't seem to be as good as PS4.
Depends on the game. Some will give you a decent chunk of playtime while the rest loads, and others might hilariously enough just give you another install bar inside the install bar - or a menu with everything greyed out, if they're feeling particularly lazy about the whole thing.
Bored...
Jul 9, 2012
132 posts
173 upvotes
BURLINGTON
Amazon.ca has the 2tb firecuda now. About $149 last I looked.
Deal Guru
Dec 1, 2004
12038 posts
5146 upvotes
Maclel76 wrote: Amazon.ca has the 2tb firecuda now. About $149 last I looked.
Pretty much regular price, it was cheaper last week for sure. Aside from the 5 Years warranty, not sure what real world performance they have to offer. Still only 8GB NAND and 5400RMP. My experience with SSHD drives have been mixed....
Aug 20, 2009
9827 posts
5935 upvotes
Yeah I'm not a big fan of SSHDs either, the performance is all over the place and SSDs are really coming down in price now. I guess you need 2TB if you're all digital but even then, you can always just install the 3-4 games you might be playing at any time and keep the rest in library to download when the whim strikes you.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)