• Last Updated:
  • Nov 27th, 2021 6:51 pm
[OP]
Dec 11, 2008
977 posts
574 upvotes
Toronto

Looking for a Black Friday/Cyber Monday VPS deal

I've decided to sign up for and setup a VPS and I'm looking for 4GB - 8GB RAM and the ability to run Windows 10, if need be.

I almost went with cheapwindowsvps but I found out that the deals look great but there are lots of complaints about them.

I've been keeping an eye on Lowendtalk but I know that RFD has a few VPS users here that might be aware of good promos.
https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/1 ... h-deals/p1

Thanks.
12 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
5484 posts
3491 upvotes
SW ON
I wonder what they can be used for.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
5484 posts
3491 upvotes
SW ON
Gee wrote: Hypervisors.
I thought VPS is a guest on a hypervisor. Can a VPS be a hypervisor? But that's an academic question. It's not what I meant. I was wondering what people use VPS's for. A hypervisor can be run on a home system, I guess, for tinkering.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
35149 posts
8556 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
alpovs wrote: I thought VPS is a guest on a hypervisor. Can a VPS be a hypervisor? But that's an academic question. It's not what I meant. I was wondering what people use VPS's for. A hypervisor can be run on a home system, I guess, for tinkering.
Yes it is a hypervisor within a hypervisor.

VPS gives you resources and a choice of operating system. Whereas traditional hosting doesn’t allow you to split resources and run multiple operating systems. I don’t think you can even run docker on hosting systems since most of them limit shell access.

I can install my choice of OS on a VPS and run docker, or even run Windows within a virtual machine
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
5484 posts
3491 upvotes
SW ON
Gee wrote: Yes it is a hypervisor within a hypervisor.

VPS gives you resources and a choice of operating system. Whereas traditional hosting doesn’t allow you to split resources and run multiple operating systems. I don’t think you can even run docker on hosting systems since most of them limit shell access.

I can install my choice of OS on a VPS and run docker, or even run Windows within a virtual machine
Why not do this on a home machine?
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
35149 posts
8556 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
alpovs wrote: Why not do this on a home machine?
Maybe you need the bandwidth offered by a hosting company. Maybe you want a static IP

If you are doing this for yourself, it doesn’t make sense to use a VPS, but if your’e doing this for commercial purposes and the general public needs access, a VPS makes total sense.

I personally run mine at home with a Fibe 1 gig connection
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
5484 posts
3491 upvotes
SW ON
Gee wrote: Maybe you need the bandwidth offered by a hosting company. Maybe you want a static IP

If you are doing this for yourself, it doesn’t make sense to use a VPS, but if your’e doing this for commercial purposes and the general public needs access, a VPS makes total sense.

I personally run mine at home with a Fibe 1 gig connection
So, mostly for web/data hosting?
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
35149 posts
8556 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
alpovs wrote: So, mostly for web/data hosting?
Me? No, if I host my websites publicly

I use mine for AdGuard Home, Pi-Hole, Home Assistant, Remote Control Software, Proxy Manager, Windows (Public facing), Bitwarden, SFTP Server

Planning to setup a Jellyfin, Minecraft Server, NextCloud
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
5484 posts
3491 upvotes
SW ON
Gee wrote: Me? No, if I host my websites publicly

I use mine for AdGuard Home, Pi-Hole, Home Assistant, Remote Control Software, Proxy Manager, Windows (Public facing), Bitwarden, SFTP Server

Planning to setup a Jellyfin, Minecraft Server, NextCloud
I see. But do you host HA there? Is it even possible? And if you internet goes down then you lose control. What the reasoning here? I am curious.
And Jellyfin. Server I presume. Would that involve data traveling back and force while watching?
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
35149 posts
8556 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
alpovs wrote: I see. But do you host HA there? Is it even possible? And if you internet goes down then you lose control. What the reasoning here? I am curious.
And Jellyfin. Server I presume. Would that involve data traveling back and force while watching?
Home Assistant is hosted at home. Private and in my control. You really can’t host it in the cloud unless you relay it back to your home (VPN). There is no advantage in hosting it publicly. It uses little bandwidth and you don’t want to expose your home

If my internet goes down, I don’t lose control as long as my network is up and I am at home. If I am out and need the internet to get back to the house, obviously it will not work

The Jellyfin server is more to stream (yes, data travels back and forth continuously) in the house. I don’t watch TV or movies when I am travelling, but if I need to, Jellyfin runs just like Plex and will transcode for bandwidth and device.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
5484 posts
3491 upvotes
SW ON
Gee wrote: Home Assistant is hosted at home. Private and in my control. You really can’t host it in the cloud unless you relay it back to your home (VPN). There is no advantage in hosting it publicly. It uses little bandwidth and you don’t want to expose your home

If my internet goes down, I don’t lose control as long as my network is up and I am at home. If I am out and need the internet to get back to the house, obviously it will not work

The Jellyfin server is more to stream (yes, data travels back and forth continuously) in the house. I don’t watch TV or movies when I am travelling, but if I need to, Jellyfin runs just like Plex and will transcode for bandwidth and device.
I am confused. What's the role of VPS in all of this? You wrote that you use VPS for these. Please excuse my curiosity. I am trying to find out how a VPS can be useful for me.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
35149 posts
8556 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
alpovs wrote: I am confused. What's the role of VPS in all of this? You wrote that you use VPS for these. Please excuse my curiosity. I am trying to find out how a VPS can be useful for me.
Sorry, I don’t use a VPS

It’s too expensive for me. I use a hosting provider for email and web (No VPS). Everything else I do at home on a home server

You originally asked why anyone would use a VPS. I just listed a few things you can use for a VPS. I personally don’t have one due to monthly costs.

Popular use for a VPS is a Torrent Seed server