• Last Updated:
  • Aug 21st, 2021 11:16 pm
[OP]
Feb 9, 2010
193 posts
105 upvotes
Aurora

Looking for a BMW mechanic

My 2016 BMW is coming with drive train error. It’s off the extended warranty, so taking it to the dealership will be very expensive. Anyone know of a reliable mechanic with BMW experience who can fix this.
10 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
8361 posts
4068 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Ouch. Burn more wealth.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Aug 6, 2017
873 posts
1484 upvotes
Any other places that open on weekends apart from stealerships?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
6838 posts
2613 upvotes
BC
I hate to say this, but as the most important thing here is to accurately diagnose what caused the drivetrain malfunction code to trigger, the dealership may be the best option.

But only to get it diagnosed. Unless the diagnosis indicates a s/w update might fix it, in which case no harm in letting them do that.

Most of all, you want to avoid someone throwing parts at it, whether that is the dealership or an independent. Because the diagnosis could be misleading.

Sure, an independent may have the necessary diagnostic equipment, but dealership knowledgebase might hold the edge.

Could be a low battery. Or a finicky sensor that is relatively inexpensive to replace.

Check with an owners forum for your model to see if there is a common pattern as to how the malfunction arose and how it got resolved, but don't depend on individual anecdotal solutions.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
44432 posts
7706 upvotes
OP!

11 Tenths Racing in Scarborough - Purely a BMW shop, well they work on BMW mostly

M-Tech Auto - Also they work on BMW and other higher end luxury brands too. They're located in Thornhill

Highly recommended!
Blanka
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2012
2377 posts
1854 upvotes
Vaughan, ON
djemzine wrote: OP!

11 Tenths Racing in Scarborough - Purely a BMW shop, well they work on BMW mostly

M-Tech Auto - Also they work on BMW and other higher end luxury brands too. They're located in Thornhill

Highly recommended!
It’s remarkable driving by each time and seeing $500,000-$750,000 worth of vehicles parked in front awaiting service.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
44432 posts
7706 upvotes
100Pacer wrote: It’s remarkable driving by each time and seeing $500,000-$750,000 worth of vehicles parked in front awaiting service.
I think they don't do only service only. They also do dyno tuning, and installing of aftermarket performance parts. They also have their own track equipment and cars for track days such as CSCS. Pretty cool with their roster of cars for the track.
Blanka

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)