• Last Updated:
  • Oct 13th, 2020 3:41 pm
[OP]
Mar 30, 2008
679 posts
178 upvotes
Vancouver

Looking to build a decent $1500 desktop pc

I've been looking for a pre-built system, in that price range, for months. Everything seems to laptops these days, no decent desktops. So, I'm going to have to build it myself.
It's not for gaming, mostly as a media server and video editor.
Here's what I want.
Ryzen 7 or Intel i7-10700, overkill?
Current motherboard with good expansion options and plenty of USB 3
Future proof psu.
Plain case with good air flow
16gb ram
super fast OS drive
Nvidia graphics card with support for 3 monitors, at least.
Would like to have a DVD drive.

I think that about covers everything I need.
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks
9 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
32898 posts
6505 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
madmox wrote: Ryzen 7 or Intel i7-10700, overkill?
That’s overkill for what you want.

I would stick to Ryzen 5 or i5. Unless you want to run virtual machines, no need for i7. Save the money on CPU and upgrade RAM to 32 gig instead. It will have a bigger impact

Most motherboards will support 3 displays, but I am not a fan because they will use different interfaces for each display. I recommend the PNY Quadro p620, it offers 4 display ports and not crazy expensive. (~250$)

Motherboard and CPU is subjective. It is a personal preference. I have moved away from bigger systems and prefer ITX. Doesn’t give a lot of expansion but I don’t really need it.

Case will depend on your motherboard choice. The best case I’ve found for cooling and air flow is NZXT Source 210 which supports a crazy amount of fans. It is a cheap budget case and discontinued. For ITX, the BitFenix Prodigy also packed a lot of cooling. Also discontinued.

I would look at the Fractal Design cases and see what appeals to you.

Get a large m.2 NVMe, 2 Terabyte for the OS drive. If that isn’t sufficient for your Videos, get a NAS

You don’t need a large power supply for the above build. 400 Watts is adequate. If you want to be efficient, you need a power supply that draws 50% of capacity. Buying a 850 Watt power supply that only draws 200 Watts is not efficient, you will be paying more for electricity.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
14286 posts
5491 upvotes
Ottawa
There's so many ways to go, but I would build a system around a 3700x (8 cores, good single thread performance)

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard MSI Arsenal B450M Bazooka V2
RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3,200MHz
Graphics card XFX Radeon RX 580 GTS XXX
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB SSD, Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD
Case Thermaltake Versa H17 + Noctua NF-P12 120mm fan
Power supply Corsair CX 550-Watt 80+ Bronze

I would substitute a 1TB NVME drive though,

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing ... -for-1000/

If you want a DVD, best to add an external one IMO instead of opting for a large case, but that;s just my preference
RFD is not just about saving money, it's about the thrill of the hunt and getting the stuff I want without paying full price like Joe Shmoe did.
This applies to everyday items as well as high end items that I don't really need.
[OP]
Mar 30, 2008
679 posts
178 upvotes
Vancouver
Thanks for the great advice!
I could definitely go for an external DVD, for the amount I will use it.

Good to know a smaller psu is better

I would like to have vm setup for linux

I'd be happy with any triple monitor supported m/b. I currently have dvi/hdmi/displayport and it works fine. But, for plex server, I do want either an Intel with quicksync, or, an nvidia card that will handle hardware transcoding.

Definitely go for an nvme os drive
Would it be worthwhile to get an x570 pro m/b for the pcie-4?

Thanks again!
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
14286 posts
5491 upvotes
Ottawa
Yeah, I'm not convinced PCIE4 is worth the premium. You are paying more for that X570 motherboard. You aren't going to hit the limits of PCIE 3 that easily, and when you do, you might not even notice it.

You aren't going to be using the Motherboard video output if you go for a GPU. So make sure the GPU you buy has the ports you need for 3 monitors.
RFD is not just about saving money, it's about the thrill of the hunt and getting the stuff I want without paying full price like Joe Shmoe did.
This applies to everyday items as well as high end items that I don't really need.
[OP]
Mar 30, 2008
679 posts
178 upvotes
Vancouver
I'm thinking I could do without a gpu, if I can find a z490 motherboard with 3 display support and pair it with a 10700k.
Haven't been able to find one with more than 2.
That would free up $$$ for more ram.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
14286 posts
5491 upvotes
Ottawa
You are better off just getting the PNY Quatro p620 mentioned above. I don't know of any motherboards that support 3 outputs
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
25157 posts
3093 upvotes
Montreal
warpdrive wrote: There's so many ways to go, but I would build a system around a 3700x (8 cores, good single thread performance)

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard MSI Arsenal B450M Bazooka V2
RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3,200MHz
Graphics card XFX Radeon RX 580 GTS XXX
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB SSD, Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD
Case Thermaltake Versa H17 + Noctua NF-P12 120mm fan
Power supply Corsair CX 550-Watt 80+ Bronze

I would substitute a 1TB NVME drive though,

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing ... -for-1000/

If you want a DVD, best to add an external one IMO instead of opting for a large case, but that;s just my preference
Not a fan of buying such an old power hungry GPU. Maybe look into a gtx 1650 or RX 5500. In that respect teh Intel build offers an advantage since you get an excellent CPU with on board graphics that's fine for video work. AMD CPUs with integrated graphics are second tier.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
14286 posts
5491 upvotes
Ottawa
Valid point.

If OP can live with the integrated video and two outputs for the time being, can add a extra GPU with 3 outputs at a later time, and spend the money up front on a better overall spec'ed system. A 10700 (non-k) is basically equivalent to the 3700x

For encoding, it's good to have both (lots of cores) and GPU to do hardware encoding if software supports it (CUDA etc).
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
25157 posts
3093 upvotes
Montreal
warpdrive wrote: Valid point.

If OP can live with the integrated video and two outputs for the time being, can add a extra GPU with 3 outputs at a later time, and spend the money up front on a better overall spec'ed system. A 10700 (non-k) is basically equivalent to the 3700x

For encoding, it's good to have both (lots of cores) and GPU to do hardware encoding if software supports it (CUDA etc).
Intel has quicksync.

I just think an rx 580 is a power waste for a non gamer.