• Last Updated:
  • Jul 4th, 2011 1:47 pm
[OP]
Oct 13, 2010
10 posts
vancouver, bc

Looking for Business Partner(s)

Hi,

I'm looking for business partner to start up daily group buying business similar to groupon or socialshopper. I already have everything setup including, domain, working script, merchant agreement and so on. There will be a small investment required from you from $500 to $1500 (depends what skills you can bring to the table and how much time you can dedicate). I know there are many groupon clones out there but most of them are very profitable.

The skills you should have (skill set #1 or #2):
Skill set #1 - webdesign, php, photoshop, MySql, Yii, SEO, and html.
Skill set #2 - business oriented, have money to invest, have enough time to dedicate to the development and advertisement website.

Please PM me for further info. Please indicate your location and what skills you can bring to the table.

Thanks,

Tim S.
9 replies
Dec 3, 2010
301 posts
51 upvotes
Waterloo
Meh... sounds like typical "I have an idea. Looking for someone to make it happen for me" type of partnership. Anyone can setup a groupon website themselves. I don't know why anyone would bother partnering with you if that is all you have to offer.

$500-$1500 is so little... do you not have any money? Honestly, if you truly believe you will make money from it, you would just invest the money yourself.

By the way, I know many people who did it and they all failed. The only one I personally know who succeeded are indulgeliving and cakedeals... they're both from Vancouver. There are a lot of other ones but I don't personally know them. I won't tell you which "groupon clone" site I work for but I can tell you that everyone is looking to start a groupon clone site. I used to go to networking meetings and there are a lot of people with the same idea. I revisit their website after awhile and they all disappear. They all fail for the same reason and they're mostly people like you; someone who bought a groupon clone script and was looking for a partner to help drive traffic and find merchants.

The skills you are looking for in "Skill set #1" is an indicator that you know little about the website industry.

By the way, RFD is a terrible place to find business partners Tim.
[OP]
Oct 13, 2010
10 posts
vancouver, bc
YourBuddy wrote: Meh... sounds like typical "I have an idea. Looking for someone to make it happen for me" type of partnership. Anyone can setup a groupon website themselves. I don't know why anyone would bother partnering with you if that is all you have to offer.

$500-$1500 is so little... do you not have any money? Honestly, if you truly believe you will make money from it, you would just invest the money yourself.

By the way, I know many people who did it and they all failed. The only one I personally know who succeeded are indulgeliving and cakedeals... they're both from Vancouver. There are a lot of other ones but I don't personally know them. I won't tell you which "groupon clone" site I work for but I can tell you that everyone is looking to start a groupon clone site. I used to go to networking meetings and there are a lot of people with the same idea. I revisit their website after awhile and they all disappear. They all fail for the same reason and they're mostly people like you; someone who bought a groupon clone script and was looking for a partner to help drive traffic and find merchants.

The skills you are looking for in "Skill set #1" is an indicator that you know little about the website industry.

By the way, RFD is a terrible place to find business partners Tim.
thanks for the feedback but I looked into the model and there is potential to make money even with 3 deals a week. It's not about $500 or $1500 the money is to make sure you are not someone who will just do it for the heck of it... The website is done I need a partner who has Skill Set #1 for technical support and website is already complete. Plus partner is big help in this business especially if he/she is from big city where company can expand.
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2011
3835 posts
60 upvotes
vancouver_hawk wrote: thanks for the feedback but I looked into the model and there is potential to make money even with 3 deals a week. It's not about $500 or $1500 the money is to make sure you are not someone who will just do it for the heck of it... The website is done I need a partner who has Skill Set #1 for technical support and website is already complete. Plus partner is big help in this business especially if he/she is from big city where company can expand.

But what you're asking for is a tech to invest into sales. So basically, why wouldn't a tech with the right skills just hire a sale rep?

In either event. You already have the tech done, and the website, so what do you even need a tech for? Shouldn't you be looking for a sales partner?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2004
6771 posts
2465 upvotes
vancouver_hawk wrote: Hi,

I'm looking for business partner to start up daily group buying business similar to groupon or socialshopper. I already have everything setup including, domain, working script, merchant agreement and so on. There will be a small investment required from you from $500 to $1500 (depends what skills you can bring to the table and how much time you can dedicate). I know there are many groupon clones out there but most of them are very profitable.

The skills you should have (skill set #1 or #2):
Skill set #1 - webdesign, php, photoshop, MySql, Yii, SEO, and html.
Skill set #2 - business oriented, have money to invest, have enough time to dedicate to the development and advertisement website.

Please PM me for further info. Please indicate your location and what skills you can bring to the table.

Thanks,

Tim S.

No offense, you're about a year late.
These are on the decline, and by the time you establish yourself, they'll be even more on the decline. I find it rare that I actually see a deal I'm somewhat interested in anymore.
Think from a company's perspective, rather than the groupon side. How many times a day do you think companies are getting phoned to be listed on a deal site, probably several times a day. Companies are getting tired of it, they're getting tired of being phoned.
It is profitable, but it's getting harder to compete and make money in the field. The 50% groupon takes is not the norm anymore, I am sure. In order to get good deals, I'm guessing you're gonna have to take a much smaller cut.

I had this set up and ready to go 7+ months ago and decided to back out because of competition. Today I wouldn't even think about it, especially with the quality of the deals now.

That being said, as above, you really did nothing but by a domain, install a script,and want someone to do most the work.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 8, 2007
5310 posts
1703 upvotes
So, are these 'deal sites' essentially the next 'I have an awesome idea' kind of thing ...... like how everyone had an awesome idea for a social media site after facebook came out ..... :?:
Hydropwnics wrote:"TodayHello is a certified hustler and original gangster."
[OP]
Oct 13, 2010
10 posts
vancouver, bc
The idea of the business is great regardless of what people say... I have purchased many coupons myself from various website and I would have never found those businesses myself if not the coupon deal and the ones I like I keep coming back on regular basis.

Any business can fail and there is competition everywhere but you never will succeed if you don’t try… Hiring sales people and freelancers to do tech support is great but if it not your own business you will never care enough.
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2004
1582 posts
34 upvotes
I tend to be with the others on this one. We seriously looked into the whole group buy business model about 6 months ago and decided that the economics just weren't there anymore. How much have you invested into your idea? Is there anything different that you're doing as compared to your competitors?
Dec 3, 2010
301 posts
51 upvotes
Waterloo
I think it's still doable depending on which cities you are competing for. Obviously, it's easier to create one for the city you live in but competition can be too great for you to have a good chance.

You can either start hoping it will work or do your research on cities. Since the cost of building the website is next to nothing, the only expense is your time. Whether you use that time to research or trail cities doesn't really matter; as long as you have the self-discipline to actually do it.

Self-discipline is one of the reasons why one guy failed. He has a web design background so his website looked better than most. It had one of the best call-to-action i've seen but he wasn't able to get himself to make the sales calls. Instead, he spent his time looking for someone to do that work for him. He gave up. If he didn't procrastinate so much and develop the courage to make sales calls, he would have had a chance especially for the city he was at.

One of the biggest and hardest-to-accept problems is the declining deals. Deals these days seem to always be the same with not much value in it. You'll have no troubles finding photography services, massages, classes, $5 for $10, and other types of mediocre deals. It's extremely hard to get businesses to offer amazing deals.

Another problem is the coupon site competitors. Inside sources tells us that there are some websites who frequently offer free postings to the businesses in desperate attempts to get deals on their website. I can see the earnings for coupon websites drop because of this.

There's a lot of of "coupon site scripts" now so starting a website is super easy. Google "groupon clone" or "coupon site scripts" to find them.
May 14, 2008
376 posts
33 upvotes
If your willing to switch your tack I will partner with you. Local daily deals are done, way to saturated. However there is one market which is not local to which the groupon type model applies and which no one has entered. If your serious and are willing to actually do WORK I'll partner with you on this.
Hai