• Oct 5th, 2017 9:21 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2007
1017 posts
131 upvotes
Kingston, Ontario

Looking to buy front load washer and dryer

I haven't purchased a washer or dryer in over ten years, so I'm just starting to research what brands to buy and what brands to avoid. I'm certainly willing to pay more for quality, but don't want to pay more and find out it's a piece of junk.

Can't stand electronic fancy machines with circuit boards that cost as much as the machine - is it even possible to buy a machine now with no electronics in it? Where do you start your research for major appliances... DIY repair forums seem a good resource but are there others?

We rent out a couple rooms in our house to students, so the machines will get fairly frequent use, but I don't think enough to justify buying commercial machines.. just decent quality that will last and hopefully have less repair bills.
26 replies
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
35563 posts
9586 upvotes
Ottawa
Interestingly enough, front loaders are on the out. Top loaders are outselling and there seems to be more of them in stores nowadays. I think there have been too many issues (mold, smell, long wash times, less problematic etc) with front loaders.
Maybe top loaders should be investigated too.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2007
1017 posts
131 upvotes
Kingston, Ontario
That is interesting. We have a top loader in the basement, it came with the house, and we intend to keep it just to have a second laundry area because, room mates. This new set is for the main floor where there's no convenient room for a top load washer. We have had mostly front loaders for just over 20 years otherwise and have had very few problems, other than one fancy set with circuit boards we purchased.... expensive circuit boards... that set went back to sears after the board went about three months after purchase and was over $2000 (thankfully on warranty, but still, scary it went so fast and was so expensive!). We are very strict at cleaning the front loading washers though and never closing the door when the machine is not in use... so this could be why we've had such good luck so far.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
15093 posts
16045 upvotes
Oakville
I think top loaders may be making a come back because they're claiming high efficiency and offered for much cheaper than front loaders. The problem is they don't seem to clean as well, aren't as efficient and have had a spout of exploding (see Samsung's recent issues).
I've never had issues with front loaders and much prefer them over top loaders. Our new house has a top loader which is a pain to load/unload. I don't actually mind it too much (other than the water usage) but my wife hates it.

Anyhow, Maytag/Whirlpool seem to have positives in reliability and availability in parts for repairs. LG seems to have high ratings and a set fee for repairs (~$160 I think). Costco also carries them which is nice for warranty or returns.
On the high end there's Bosch, Miele, etc.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
32856 posts
6496 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
My current pair is an Electrolux, so far so good.

Front loader and very efficient.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7722 posts
1603 upvotes
LG is the king of front load followed with Samsung according consumer reports and both supposed to have low fixed fee repair if needed. The leaving the door open and let it dry out after each each use is what we do too and draining the front drain panel now and then and you be fine.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
2622 posts
1102 upvotes
Mississauga
hdom wrote: LG is the king of front load followed with Samsung according consumer reports and both supposed to have low fixed fee repair if needed. The leaving the door open and let it dry out after each each use is what we do too and draining the front drain panel now and then and you be fine.
LG is on top but Kenmore, Maytag and Electrolux beat Samsung.
http://www.lg.com/us/consumer-reports/p ... t-load.pdf

My Electrolux has been reliable and my Mom got an LG a year before mine. Both have been good. The Negative I read about LG laundry set is not reliability or perfomance but difficulty in getting parts for DIY fixes if it breaks.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2011
9481 posts
2015 upvotes
Somewhere
After every wash, we drain out the detergent loader and keep the door open until our next wash.
:confused:
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7722 posts
1603 upvotes
Good to know and if your mom ever have a problem with the LGs, don't call a random repairman or source the parts yourself, call LG directly instead and they will come fix with their parts for cheap.
bubuski wrote: LG is on top but Kenmore, Maytag and Electrolux beat Samsung.
http://www.lg.com/us/consumer-reports/p ... t-load.pdf

My Electrolux has been reliable and my Mom got an LG a year before mine. Both have been good. The Negative I read about LG laundry set is not reliability or perfomance but difficulty in getting parts for DIY fixes if it breaks.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Apr 8, 2010
775 posts
419 upvotes
toronto
i have the newer version of the top loaders (no middle agitator). I can say that i'm not happy with it at all. when i look at it during a wash cycle, there does not seem to be enough water. i believe water level setting is based on weight of the the laundry. it also does not seem to get the clothes as clean as a front loader or the old style with the agitator in the middle. the clothes i put on the bottom or top does not move. it stays on the bottom/ top. this tells me it'd not getting a good cleaning. i may be wrong but i "feel" like it's not cleaning as well. when i look at the clothes after, it doesn't seem very clean and stains are still on.

not all that impressed with the top loader. it is efficient that it doesn't use as much water but i think that might be a draw back
Jan 18, 2006
487 posts
44 upvotes
Toronto
Did my research, and LG front loader (at least for the washer) comes out overwhelmingly on top in terms of performance and reliability. Purchased one and so far so good.
We do keep the detergent loading tray and the loading door open when the machine is not in use though. We're taking precautions in case of any mildew/mold buildup
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
12161 posts
3468 upvotes
GTA
I grew up in Europe and have only ever had a front loader, except for a short time in a rental unit. I couldn't believe people
actually washed their clothes using agitators, tears clothes apart :)

We got an LG front loader about 4 yrs ago, no problems. It has a steam feature which is awesome. We built a very high pedestal
that holds both our washer and dryer, as we didn't want to bend down anymore.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jan 15, 2013
890 posts
157 upvotes
Mississauga
I need a washer, but $100 off doesn't sound like a deal to me.

We've been using an LG one and other than mildew, it's been a workhorse for my family for 7+ yrs now (front load, nothing fancy)