• Dec 3rd, 2012 2:23 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Feb 11, 2003
696 posts
111 upvotes

Looking to buy wood slabs, live edge, etc to make own table, countertop

Hi guys,

Was looking into doing a little DIY on a coffee table and floating ledge/desk using wood with the live edge style. I plan to buy the legs/bases and then finish the wood myself.

Does anyone have any sources to buy slabs in the GTA (RFD pricing of course) as well as any tips and resources they can offer in terms of finishing, ballpark pricing, etc.

I would really like to know if this is something I can take on or something I should leave to the the wood shops.

Thanks
4 replies
Mar 11, 2007
248 posts
48 upvotes
Funny, also in the midst of looking to have a few coffee tables made. Can I ask where you plan on buying the legs/bases? I wanted some simple square tube welded in a cube format. But the labor for welding/fabricating is more expensive than I thought.

There are a few places on kijiji that sell and make live edge coffee tables. You can contact them to customize size, wood, stain etc.
Oct 25, 2010
499 posts
61 upvotes
I don't think you'll find it "cheap" anywhere.

Urban Tree Salvage sells it: http://urbantreesalvage.com/

Beware: I think most places sell this stuff pretty green, meaning it still needs to dry out. As it does it can/will bow, crack, warp, etc...
[OP]
Feb 11, 2003
696 posts
111 upvotes
Thanks for the link patrob
flip114 wrote: Funny, also in the midst of looking to have a few coffee tables made. Can I ask where you plan on buying the legs/bases? I wanted some simple square tube welded in a cube format. But the labor for welding/fabricating is more expensive than I thought.

There are a few places on kijiji that sell and make live edge coffee tables. You can contact them to customize size, wood, stain etc.
I'm using http://www.tablelegsonline.com as a reference for table bases as they ship to Canada and US.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)