Automotive

Looking at buying 2017 Accord. Should I wait for 2018?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 27th, 2017 2:51 pm
[OP]
Dec 26, 2015
517 posts
306 upvotes
Manitoba

Looking at buying 2017 Accord. Should I wait for 2018?

I'm pretty close to purchasing a brand new Honda Accord 2017. I've also recently learned that the 2018 model is to be a redesigned car. I don't really know what to expect in regards to the changes as the spy photos don't tell me anything.

When do next year's models typically get released? I don't want to be bummed out getting a 2017 then finding out the 2018 is 100x nicer a week later
19 replies
Jan 22, 2009
409 posts
41 upvotes
I have the same dilemma! Also a new camry coming in September which looks pretty dope comparatively.
Apr 18, 2017
951 posts
788 upvotes
Toronto
If they're really going to change the look of it, I would wait it. Plus if there is no change with the 2018, just get the 2017 at that time. Should be cheaper then.
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
4946 posts
6338 upvotes
Toronto, ON
If you like this rear end, feel free to wait..

I can't believe I'm saying, but the 2018 Camry is for once better looking than Accord...
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2014
2504 posts
487 upvotes
Generally speaking shouldn't people ( rfd type people) keep away from the first year of a generation change or redesign etc?
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2012
3286 posts
1637 upvotes
Mississauga
er34er34 wrote: If you like this rear end, feel free to wait..

I can't believe I'm saying, but the 2018 Camry is for once better looking than Accord...
That's not the 2018 Accord
I love RFD! :)
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
2456 posts
1947 upvotes
If you're going for the V6 the rumor is they are getting rid of it in the 2018 model year (real reason I bought my Accord this year) and going with a turbo inline 4. If you're wanting a V6 your best bet is the Camry for the 2018 model year as everyone else has gotten rid of it in their midsize car or *insert shudder here* gone with CVT transmissions. Hell tbh I just prefer the Camry period at this point tbh. Maybe the new Accord will blow it out of the park but I'm doubtful.
RFD is love. RFD is life. I wish I had an RFDer for a wife.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2007
6566 posts
2127 upvotes
Wait, Accord is brand new for 2018 MY as well? I can't wait to see a Accord vs. Camry showdown!
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
2456 posts
1947 upvotes
BluePhirePB wrote: Wait, Accord is brand new for 2018 MY as well? I can't wait to see a Accord vs. Camry showdown!
Camry won. V6 vs Turbo inline 4? No competition there. And honestly the 2018 Camry is probably the best car Toyota has built in a very long time.

Of course should Honda surprise us all and keep their fantastic V6's going in the Accord I will completely revise my opinion and see how it turns out. Not to mention the Camry got a brand new 8 speed auto tranny for both their V6 and inline 4 so no freaking CVTs (except hybrid).
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2007
6566 posts
2127 upvotes
LoANeal wrote: Camry won. V6 vs Turbo inline 4? No competition there. And honestly the 2018 Camry is probably the best car Toyota has built in a very long time.

Of course should Honda surprise us all and keep their fantastic V6's going in the Accord I will completely revise my opinion and see how it turns out. Not to mention the Camry got a brand new 8 speed auto tranny for both their V6 and inline 4 so no freaking CVTs (except hybrid).
I think their hybrid also uses the new 8-spd auto no?
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
2456 posts
1947 upvotes
BluePhirePB wrote: I think their hybrid also uses the new 8-spd auto no?
http://blog.caranddriver.com/2018-toyot ... -mpg-city/

I could try harder to find an article that says specifically the hybrid is a CVT, but apparently the new one will have paddles to simulate gear shifts. But ya CVT lives on in the hybrid. 8 speed auto for the 4-cyl and V6 though which is quite impressive.
Banned
Feb 8, 2017
186 posts
134 upvotes
No. Knowing Honda very well, 2018 Accord will not have any major changes.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8594 upvotes
GTHA
BluePhirePB wrote: I think their hybrid also uses the new 8-spd auto no?
LoANeal wrote: http://blog.caranddriver.com/2018-toyot ... -mpg-city/

I could try harder to find an article that says specifically the hybrid is a CVT, but apparently the new one will have paddles to simulate gear shifts. But ya CVT lives on in the hybrid. 8 speed auto for the 4-cyl and V6 though which is quite impressive.
Toyota's press release
http://pressroom.toyota.com/article_dis ... le_id=5868

"The new hybrid system has also been engineered to provide the ideal balance of energy efficiency with superior power output to maximize driving performance and enjoyment. The next-generation Toyota Hybrid System has been engineered to work in concert with the new 2.5-liter 4-cylinder Dynamic Force Engine setup offering significantly more driving excitement than before. The hybrid’s Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) features a new Sport Mode setting that allows the driver to execute smooth yet quick “gear” shifts of the simulated 6-speed sequential shift transmission. The SE grade adds paddle shifters for increased fun and a more sporting driving experience. The Sport Mode setting also improves acceleration and feel thanks to an electric power boost from the hybrid system. Furthermore, to help enhance the vehicle’s handling capability, the hybrid system’s battery pack has moved from the trunk to beneath the rear seat for a noticeably enriched handling feel, thanks to the vehicle’s much improved lower center of gravity—yet another benefit of the TNGA platform."
Jan 22, 2009
409 posts
41 upvotes
The 17 accord should be bullet proof in its final year. I know earlier years of this gen had vibration and transmission issues. I wonder if those are resolved.
[OP]
Dec 26, 2015
517 posts
306 upvotes
Manitoba
tokinup wrote: The 17 accord should be bullet proof in its final year. I know earlier years of this gen had vibration and transmission issues. I wonder if those are resolved.
I drove one the other day, and it was very solid to say the least. I found the interior comfortable without too much CVT droning. And the outwards appearance of this gen is bang on. I just don't know what to expect from next years and am hoping they release more sooner rather than later.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
2456 posts
1947 upvotes
I got a 2016 Accord V6 (when they did the refresh) and really like it. I'm going to miss these stellar engines though. Turbo 4's just don't got the same pep initially. Maybe one day they will fix turbo lag that it's indistinguishable but so far that has not been the case (at least from mass market brands).
Deal Addict
Jun 28, 2006
2057 posts
368 upvotes
either way if you wait, the 2017 will probably be cheaper than it is now.
Some people meditate, I smoke cigars.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
2456 posts
1947 upvotes
cns187 wrote: either way if you wait, the 2017 will probably be cheaper than it is now.
Yup, wait another 10 years will be even cheaper. Hell wait 20, buy it for a song.