[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 8, 2010
7234 posts
434 upvotes
York

Looking for BYOP Plan

Hi folks,

Looking for some quick insight - I've been out of the cell phone game for a little bit. Here are my requirements:

- Unlimited incoming/outgoing texts
- Between 500mb and 1gb of data
- Between 100 and 200 minutes, unlimited incoming would be nice but not necessary.

That being said, if the offer is a few bucks more (think $3 or less), I would take more minutes/data. Not looking to pay more than $25/month if a plan like that is out there. Don't care if it's prepaid or postpaid.

Lastly, I live in a basement so reception might be an issue. Currently on prepaid Koodo and have had no problems whatsoever. Would the $19 plan from Freedom be too risky? I could always try it and if it's no good, switch after a month or two.

Thank you!
17 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2004
7070 posts
575 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Why not go for the $25 plans from Lucky or Public Mobile? 1GB, unlimited voice, etc...
Oct 17, 2010
640 posts
298 upvotes
Terrace
dankup wrote:
Lastly, I live in a basement so reception might be an issue. Currently on prepaid Koodo and have had no problems whatsoever. Would the $19 plan from Freedom be too risky? I could always try it and if it's no good, switch after a month or two.
Sounds like a plan!
Banned
Aug 19, 2019
133 posts
271 upvotes
dankup wrote: Hi folks,

Looking for some quick insight - I've been out of the cell phone game for a little bit. Here are my requirements:

- Unlimited incoming/outgoing texts
- Between 500mb and 1gb of data
- Between 100 and 200 minutes, unlimited incoming would be nice but not necessary.

That being said, if the offer is a few bucks more (think $3 or less), I would take more minutes/data. Not looking to pay more than $25/month if a plan like that is out there. Don't care if it's prepaid or postpaid.

Thank you!
Unlimited talk, text, and 1.5 GB of data for $19 on Freedom. Currently limited time offer on their Nationwide network. Theoretically speaking, it shouldn't be a problem, since you can access the other networks if your Freedom signal isn't working.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 8, 2010
7234 posts
434 upvotes
York
StrangeThings wrote: Unlimited talk, text, and 1.5 GB of data for $19 on Freedom. Currently limited time offer on their Nationwide network. Theoretically speaking, it shouldn't be a problem, since you can access the other networks if your Freedom signal isn't working.
So how does that work? The second my phone doesn't sense the Freedom signal it switches over to a different provider and my texts/calls still come through? Is this called roaming and does it cost money?
Banned
Aug 19, 2019
133 posts
271 upvotes
dankup wrote: So how does that work? The second my phone doesn't sense the Freedom signal it switches over to a different provider and my texts/calls still come through? Is this called roaming and does it cost money?
Yes, it should go through. It will be considered as roaming, but it won't cost money since it is part of this promo plan. I believe this is a special offer, since the original plan is only limited to the Freedom network (particularly for data usage).
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 8, 2010
7234 posts
434 upvotes
York
StrangeThings wrote: Yes, it should go through. It will be considered as roaming, but it won't cost money since it is part of this promo plan. I believe this is a special offer, since the original plan is only limited to the Freedom network (particularly for data usage).
Good to know. I'm debating between the Freedom $19 or going the Public Mobile route. Sign up for the $15 ($13 with autopay), get the 1gb free add on and 2nd month of free service. The 1gb add on and 250mb a month should last me for 3-4 months and then switch over to the $25 ($23 with autopay) 1gb plan.

Would suck to try Freedom, realize it doesn't work well in my basement/downtown core and then switch to Public Mobile but have all these deals expire
Banned
Aug 19, 2019
133 posts
271 upvotes
dankup wrote: Good to know. I'm debating between the Freedom $19 or going the Public Mobile route. Sign up for the $15 ($13 with autopay), get the 1gb free add on and 2nd month of free service. The 1gb add on and 250mb a month should last me for 3-4 months and then switch over to the $25 ($23 with autopay) 1gb plan.

Would suck to try Freedom, realize it doesn't work well in my basement/downtown core and then switch to Public Mobile but have all these deals expire
You can always sign up for both plans. If the Freedom service isn't good enough, you can just cancel it after your first month and stop paying. It's a prepaid service after all.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 8, 2010
7234 posts
434 upvotes
York
StrangeThings wrote: You can always sign up for both plans. If the Freedom service isn't good enough, you can just cancel it after your first month and stop paying. It's a prepaid service after all.
Decisions decisions. Thanks, you've been a huge help!
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 8, 2010
7234 posts
434 upvotes
York
StrangeThings wrote: You can always sign up for both plans. If the Freedom service isn't good enough, you can just cancel it after your first month and stop paying. It's a prepaid service after all.
What happens if I cancel the Freedom service after 2 days instead of waiting for the whole month. Do I get 29 days back of my $19 prorated?
Banned
Aug 19, 2019
133 posts
271 upvotes
dankup wrote: What happens if I cancel the Freedom service after 2 days instead of waiting for the whole month. Do I get 29 days back of my $19 prorated?
No, it's a prepaid plan. Once you paid for it, you will have to use it for the entire month to make it worthwhile.
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2009
1858 posts
1024 upvotes
Next up for OP is to find 1or2 extra phone(s) to try out the service. /s
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
15982 posts
4503 upvotes
Markham
if no problem with Koodo reception in basement , then will have no issue Public Mobile
96TB Mediasonic H82-SU3S2 / 72TB Raid 50 on Mediasonic H8R2-SU3S2
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Feb 25, 2016
9 posts
2 upvotes
I've been with public mobile for 4 months with 1 GB, and unlimited minutes. They have given a free GB twice in the last three months to be used up per your discretion. I haven't even used them up yet. You can even get discounts for getting people to sign up. No other cellular company has ever given data away for free. I'm glad I switched because Koodo couldn't give a shit about keeping me as a customer.
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2015
4533 posts
1336 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
be carefull with BYOD / BYOP plans, my friend made the switch from a 2 year contract plan to the $65 byop plan 2 years ago for a boxing day special, with rogers. he got 10 gigs, and all, and got to keep his phone, but now his phone broke and they want him to buy a new phone out right, and for him the cost is like close to a grand., a grands a friggin lot of money, no one in their right mind will drop a grand on a phone, are they insane?
Hi
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2009
1858 posts
1024 upvotes
GoodFellaz wrote: be carefull with BYOD / BYOP plans, my friend made the switch from a 2 year contract plan to the $65 byop plan 2 years ago for a boxing day special, with rogers. he got 10 gigs, and all, and got to keep his phone, but now his phone broke and they want him to buy a new phone out right, and for him the cost is like close to a grand., a grands a friggin lot of money, no one in their right mind will drop a grand on a phone, are they insane?
Your friend doesn't need to spend a grand for a new phone. (unless they want the latest gadget)
There are others ways to get a new phone without breaking the bank. BST comes to mind, perhaps buying last year model or look at Chinese phone(s).
As long as it has Rogers band(s), any phone will do the job.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
19959 posts
8054 upvotes
Toronto
OP, just go with Public Mobile and call it a day. With auto pay reward, it's only $23 per month. They also offer a loyalty reward of $1 per month after a year, up to $5 for 5 years of loyalty. It may sound like a stretch but I am in my 4th years since leaving wind. Living in a basement and trying to make freedom work is like playing a lottery.
̶K̶o̶o̶d̶o̶ ̶$̶4̶0̶/̶6̶G̶B̶
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo, $23/1GB, $38/5GB
Fido $0.00/4GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank, Simplii