Food & Drink

Looking for a “good” coffee maker

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 1st, 2020 4:57 pm
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4394 upvotes
Frank311 wrote: I've always thought the Keurig was just an overpriced kettle that made instant coffee. OP, I'd avoid it at all cost.
That's an insult to instant coffee! I honestly think Starbucks VIA instant coffee tastes better than Keurig... which just goes to show how much Keurig sucks.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
19929 posts
6859 upvotes
Toronto
EastGTARedFlagger wrote: Exactly my point. I'll listen to the above coffee experts, and not our resident MTY shill...
Keurig is not owned by MTY. There is no reason to bring that company name up at all in this conversation. At this point you are just trolling.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4394 upvotes
ericlewis91 wrote: Bodum or Nespresso
Agree. Nespresso is the ONLY single-serve coffee machine I'd even consider, and only if I could get it for an absolute steal of a price. It makes espresso, not coffee-flavored lukewarm water like Keurig.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19529 posts
2244 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
PointsHubby wrote: Good post

People are soft now... if they consider the basic act of pouring hot water over fresh ground coffee beans... too difficult / time consuming.

It’s the way Coffee has been made for thousands of years the world over.

No fuss, no muss. And easy on the environment.
(everything is compostable ... and coffee grounds are actually good in many gardening applications)

We use a Melitta Pour-Over Cone for single serve applications
A French Press if we plan on more than one cup ... or want to share with our SO
And if there’s friends about ... it’s an Automatic Drip Coffee Maker.
Also have a big honking Perculating Urn also for those times there is a houseful of Guests

Honestly, no interest in these pod coffee machines.
Makes poor, albeit EXPENSIVE Coffee
I'm by no means an expert, far from it but we're habitual creatures. Until recently, I always got my fix from instant and for a short time, a Tassimo machine until I realized it was cost prohibitive. Recently picked up a French Press and manual grinder from Ikea and the learning curve steep. You need to know how much to grind and the courseness you want. My method up until then were 2 teaspoon or instant and 1-2 tspn of sugar. Worked for me but I've been playing around with more organic ways to see if there is anything more to the coffee as aficionados would have you believe. Obviously I need to perfect my grind, amount of ground and courseness before I can give a verdict but so far my instant is still superior or possibly I haven't developed the palette for "better" coffee yet.

Are you suppose to roast the beans you grind from the grocery store? I Thought they were already roasted.

One of the "automated" solutions I've been looking at is the Breville Cafe Roma. people are selling them for $50-100 on Kijiji. Reviews all swear by it as the best "budget gourmet" coffee maker.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
9277 posts
5104 upvotes
A French press with great quality coffee should offer the best balance of convenience and taste. I normally drink lattes out of my vintage espresso machine but when I travel I pack a French press and Starbucks dark roast ground coffee. The coffee quality is unbelievable in the French press as long as you make sure to use super hot water and, of course, the right amount and quality of coffee.

I agree with PointsHubby that pod coffee machines do not provide a great coffee and they are expensive and produce a lot of unnecessary garbage (i.e. not great for the environment). I bought a Starbucks Verismo machine, used it twice and now it sits collecting dust.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4394 upvotes
choclover wrote: I agree with PointsHubby that pod coffee machines do not provide a great coffee and they are expensive and produce a lot of unnecessary garbage (i.e. not great for the environment). I bought a Starbucks Verismo machine, used it twice and now it sits collecting dust.
Sounds like my experience. When Home Outfitters closed I was able to grab a Verismo machine on the final day of liquidation for $10 (90% off the regular price of $100). A month or two later, I walked into Almost Perfect (I think the company is now "Grocery Outlet" but my local store still has the old name) and they had a shitload of Verismo Guatemala Antigua stacked behind the checkouts, boxes of 12 pods for $2 each. So I stocked up and I had enough to last me a year (I didn't use it daily, but was nice to have pods ready to go). Since I used up my stockpile, the machine has sat idle.

Verismo wasn't a bad system at all, by my experience. Not as good as Nespresso, but kicks the shit out of Keurig. Verismo definitely heated water properly and there was enough pressure and extraction time to get a proper espresso "crema" (something Keurig cannot ever do given the inherent flaws of the system). For those that don't know, Verismo is just the Starbucks branding of K-fee which is a popular pod system in Europe and Australia. It's sad to think that North America is stuck with just 2 pod systems, one great and one horrible*, with nothing in the middle, unlike in Europe, where there's also K-fee, Caffitaly (which is a reversed K-fee), and ESE.

* used to be 2 horrible but now that Keurig and Tassimo have common ownership, the parent has chosen to keep Keurig going and let Tassimo die off
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
9277 posts
5104 upvotes
EastGTARedFlagger wrote: Sounds like my experience. When Home Outfitters closed I was able to grab a Verismo machine on the final day of liquidation for $10 (90% off the regular price of $100). A month or two later, I walked into Almost Perfect (I think the company is now "Grocery Outlet" but my local store still has the old name) and they had a shitload of Verismo Guatemala Antigua stacked behind the checkouts, boxes of 12 pods for $2 each. So I stocked up and I had enough to last me a year (I didn't use it daily, but was nice to have pods ready to go). Since I used up my stockpile, the machine has sat idle.

Verismo wasn't a bad system at all, by my experience. Not as good as Nespresso, but kicks the shit out of Keurig. Verismo definitely heated water properly and there was enough pressure and extraction time to get a proper espresso "crema" (something Keurig cannot ever do given the inherent flaws of the system). For those that don't know, Verismo is just the Starbucks branding of K-fee which is a popular pod system in Europe and Australia. It's sad to think that North America is stuck with just 2 pod systems, one great and one horrible*, with nothing in the middle, unlike in Europe, where there's also K-fee, Caffitaly (which is a reversed K-fee), and ESE.

* used to be 2 horrible but now that Keurig and Tassimo have common ownership, the parent has chosen to keep Keurig going and let Tassimo die off
Thanks for sharing your experience. You have got me wondering if I should dust off my Verismo and try it out again. After making my first cup which I didn't really like, I opened up one of the pods and put my own coffee in there before inserting into the machine. This improved the coffee a little bit but not to the quality I am used to.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4394 upvotes
choclover wrote: Thanks for sharing your experience. You have got me wondering if I should dust off my Verismo and try it out again. After making my first cup which I didn't really like, I opened up one of the pods and put my own coffee in there before inserting into the machine. This improved the coffee a little bit but not to the quality I am used to.
If I could find a cheap source of Verismo pods (like how I lucked out at Almost Perfect) I'd dust off the machine, fill the water tank, and use it again. I've seen some eBay sellers that sell huge boxes of just-past-BB-date Verismo pods for a steal but the shipping to Canada would be crazy (if they ship here at all).

For Verismo I never buy the "Brewed" pods (what's the point, my French press beats that), I only buy the "Espresso" pods. Look out for this especially if you're buying from eBay.
Also, *never* use the milk pods as those will mess up the plumbing and it's near impossible to clean, so you'll have spoiled milk contaminating your drinks.... (the machine came with some and I just tossed them).

Since a superautomatic is way out of my budget (and unlike somebody mentioned in that other thread, I don't spend $1000 on coffee every year) I'm fine with my French presses, Moka pots, and ibrik (for Turkish coffee), and am seriously considering Nespresso OriginalLine now that there are so many cheaper 3rd party pod options for it. I've seen Lavazza-branded Nespresso pods at Walmart, and Starbucks-branded pods at Costco! You're no longer locked into buying just Nespresso pods (and originally, to get them you had to either walk into a Nespresso boutique or order online - this was a major downside to the system in its earlier days).
Jan 30, 2010
23 posts
7 upvotes
At the start of the pandemic, we purchased a Bonavita 8 cup coffeemaker in addition to a burr grinder.

Been experimenting w/ freshly roasted beans from various local sources, and while I'm not a coffee connoisseur, it's some tasty coffee.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29370 posts
14868 upvotes
EastGTARedFlagger wrote: I don't spend $1000 on coffee every year
Haha that was me (or rather my friend)

If you had the money and could buy the cat shit coffee? Sure. Go nuts.
But how does one spend $1000 on K-Cups alone? Especially when you're retired. This just raises questions.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4394 upvotes
death_hawk wrote: Haha that was me (or rather my friend)
If you had the money and could buy the cat shit coffee? Sure. Go nuts.
But how does one spend $1000 on K-Cups alone? Especially when you're retired. This just raises questions.
I knew it was not you but somebody you referred to.
As for paying $1k a year on Krap-cups, that's a great example of "more money than sense" and "a fool and his money are soon parted".
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
19929 posts
6859 upvotes
Toronto
EastGTARedFlagger wrote: I knew it was not you but somebody you referred to.
As for paying $1k a year on Krap-cups, that's a great example of "more money than sense" and "a fool and his money are soon parted".
It's worse than that. I can tell you that if my K cups are at or just past the best before date the whole box of k cups goes in the garbage.
I don't stock up on any sort of coffee at any price. No point if it's not going to be used up by the best before date.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Deal Addict
May 1, 2003
1919 posts
97 upvotes
Toronto
drpepper1 wrote: I like good coffee. Keurig is ok but would like to move to grinding my beans. I’m not after an Espresso but a good cup of coffee. Have been looking at the Breville Precision or a similar OXO. Any members have any suggestions?
Here's a cheaper option to the breville precision pro. Might not be as good but it still does a great job. Check out the reviews

https://www.amazon.ca/Bonavita-BV1900TS ... B00O9FO1HK
Sep 30, 2004
734 posts
122 upvotes
Markham
Not a common recommendation but the Zojirushi Fresh Brew Plus Thermal Carafe Coffee Maker
EC-YTC100 . I have been using mine for about 6 years now. Works great - timer, easy to refill water tank, etc.. since it's Zojirushi the thermal carafe works great. The newer models have a reusable coffee filter and has an ice coffee concentrate function

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07B83DGMV/ref ... jFbKWNZ87T
Mar 7, 2008
721 posts
196 upvotes
Leask
I have two technivorm. They are the best. Price inflated to $430CAD, so that’s the bad part.

I paid $150 each back in like 2013 lol. Sold one of them for $240 and the guy pretty much thank me for selling it to him.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)