Looking for cell phone deal in Alberta

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 16th, 2020 2:00 pm
[OP]
Aug 13, 2020
1 posts
1 upvote

Looking for cell phone deal in Alberta

I am needing advice. My daughter is headed to university and needs a new phone. She currently had 8gb with Koodo for $40, byod. I can’t find anything comparable to add a phone. I have to increase the cost of my plan a lot and add on $20/ month for a phone. Been quoted $80 per month total. Any suggestions!
I have one thought. I’ve been with Telus forever and eligible for an an upgrade. Can I upgrade my phone but give the new one to her and keep using my old one? It works fine for me. Do the carriers let me do that?
3 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
21114 posts
2474 upvotes
Toronto
All phones are sold unlocked in Canada so no issues with getting your Telus upgrade phone and having your daughter use it.

Do the cost benefit analysis...sometimes it works out cheaper to buy phones outright.

The IPhone se 2020 is a decent budget iPhone....plus Koodo might let you put it on a tab basic (like an instalment plan) so you don’t have to fork out all the $$ outright.
Apr 25, 2019
206 posts
253 upvotes
GinaW28951 wrote: I am needing advice. My daughter is headed to university and needs a new phone. She currently had 8gb with Koodo for $40, byod. I can’t find anything comparable to add a phone. I have to increase the cost of my plan a lot and add on $20/ month for a phone. Been quoted $80 per month total. Any suggestions!
I have one thought. I’ve been with Telus forever and eligible for an an upgrade. Can I upgrade my phone but give the new one to her and keep using my old one? It works fine for me. Do the carriers let me do that?
DON"T change her Koodo plan, that plan is GOLD! Why not buy the phone outright and give it to her. The savings on that plan will negate ANY carrier plan + the phone contract/ Installment.
Lucky Mobile 3.5 GB $25
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
9635 posts
1799 upvotes
Victoria
I'm in the same boat. My wife and I have great plans with Koodo (from public mobile transitions), but the downside is you can't get a medium/ultra tab with them. Tab Basic seems kind of pointless because the cost of the phone is higher than buying it directly from a store (manufacturer).

Samsung has some deals right now if you go through Perkopolis or SPC (Student Price Card?). I was eyeing an s10 for about $715+tax or a s20 for $950+tax. I still find that fairly pricey, but anytime I do the math on switching my plan, and buying a discounted tab phone, I come out way ahead.

Might try and hold out til black friday to see if Koodo extends some deals to Tab Basic, but I'm not holding my breath.

My wife just bough the LG G8X from Costco for about $500. She seems pretty happy with that, so that might be an option too.