• Aug 22nd, 2017 5:18 pm
[OP]
May 16, 2010
325 posts
5 upvotes
Markham, ON

Looking for a Colour Selection Consultant

Hi,

I am looking for a colour selection consultant who can help select colours for our house. Is there anyone you guys would recommend? I live in Markham East area of Ontario very near to Toronto. How much a consultant usually charge? Our house has 4 bedrooms.

Thanks
13 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2004
7328 posts
1888 upvotes
What do you mean? An interior designer? I've not heard of a consultant just for color selection.
[OP]
May 16, 2010
325 posts
5 upvotes
Markham, ON
golden wrote: What do you mean? An interior designer? I've not heard of a consultant just for color selection.
yes interior designer who can help us select colours for the whole house (interior only). We have already hired a painter to paint the house.
Jan 15, 2013
890 posts
158 upvotes
Mississauga
This is some balling on another level thing is it
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2004
7328 posts
1888 upvotes
Typically an interior designer charge by the hour and they usually take the renovation as a project. Prices varies depending on the designer, most are over $100 per hour for sure. We used an interior designer before. I'm sure that some do partial consultation (not the renovation as a whole). I believe you should budget for $1000 at a minimum. Of course, the range can vary significantly. Make sure you look at some of their previous projects to get a sense of their style. A whole house renovation project will be much more expensive in terms of design fee.
Banned
May 12, 2004
9756 posts
4135 upvotes
Ottawa
We use one all the time, its actually an interior decorator not designer. She charges $250 a house and its worth every penny on the model homes. Unfortunately im in ottawa so i can't recommend anyone.
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2005
3202 posts
2694 upvotes
I have an interior paint consultant coming to my house this week to look at my just finished basement. She's from a Benjamin Moore store and they charge $25 an hour. I'm in a different part of Ontario than you but I assume other Benjamin Moore stores might offer a similar service.
[OP]
May 16, 2010
325 posts
5 upvotes
Markham, ON
tim-x wrote: I have an interior paint consultant coming to my house this week to look at my just finished basement. She's from a Benjamin Moore store and they charge $25 an hour. I'm in a different part of Ontario than you but I assume other Benjamin Moore stores might offer a similar service.
thats dirt cheap $25 an hour
Feb 17, 2012
657 posts
129 upvotes
Toronto
srhcan wrote: thats dirt cheap $25 an hour
I'm sure it's gonna take more then an hour. Don't expect to pay any less then a couple hundred bucks. Take a picture of the room with your phone and use an app to select colors... Pretty much every major paint company has an app. Unless you have money to spend
Banned
May 12, 2004
9756 posts
4135 upvotes
Ottawa
srhcan wrote: thats dirt cheap $25 an hour
Do you honestly think someone will jump in their car, travel to your place, then travel back for $25 or $50?

You need to commit to buying $xxx in paint from the franchise that is supplying the $25 consultant. You also get a small discount on the paint (or used to anyways). Some BM franchises even send someone to your house to do it for free...I'm sure if you're painting an entire house they would gladly waive the $25. They probably charge the $25 to avoid tire kickers.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2014
3097 posts
472 upvotes
Oshawa, ON
Cas77 wrote: Do you honestly think someone will jump in their car, travel to your place, then travel back for $25 or $50?

You need to commit to buying $xxx in paint from the franchise that is supplying the $25 consultant. You also get a small discount on the paint (or used to anyways). Some BM franchises even send someone to your house to do it for free...I'm sure if you're painting an entire house they would gladly waive the $25. They probably charge the $25 to avoid tire kickers.

It goes like this:
Them: "what color do you like?"
You: "uh, blue"
Them: (grabbing first blue swatch that catches their eye) "this one is for you"
You: "is it?"
Them: "yes, it's very popular really makes your home blablabla... we sell a lot of this, it's really popular".
signature removed for inappropriate content
Banned
May 12, 2004
9756 posts
4135 upvotes
Ottawa
eldeejay wrote: It goes like this:
Them: "what color do you like?"
You: "uh, blue"
Them: (grabbing first blue swatch that catches their eye) "this one is for you"
You: "is it?"
Them: "yes, it's very popular really makes your home blablabla... we sell a lot of this, it's really popular".
Maybe if you bring them to an empty house but with window coverings, art on the walls and furniture they can probably do a decent job. For an empty house you might want someone more creative (probably more $$$)
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2005
3202 posts
2694 upvotes
Like I said the Benjamin Moore store is sending out their in store designer (a paint sales person) with their swatches etc. to the house for $25 an hour. She said it rarely takes longer than an hour. I'm under no obligation to buy paint from them. I'm sure that I'm not paying for a professional designer but it's worth it to me as I have difficulty picking out these things.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
3128 posts
1310 upvotes
Windsor
I was in the same boat, but never got around to doing it, so I don't have definitive numbers. Ben Moore had a person that was something like $100 to come by, and they waived the cost if you bought paint from them. I think Sherwin Williams was the same.

This is in Windsor, Ontario ... not sure if it's just those stores that "have a guy", or if it's their policy.
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)