PC & Video Games

Looking at this combo, please let me know your thoughts.

  • Last Updated:
  • Jun 13th, 2016 11:46 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jr. Member
Jun 13, 2015
125 posts
21 upvotes
Nepean, ON

Looking at this combo, please let me know your thoughts.

So I'm building a PC, found a great deal on this. Just wanted some opinions since I haven't built a computer in awhile and wanted to see if anyone thinks this is a good idea.

Full HD gaming, looking at running future or current games at max 1080p.

Looking to spend around $1000.

Here's my base that I'm looking at. I'm looking at keeping the CPU, HDD, and RAM but want to upgrade to a newer graphics card.

Specs: Motherboard Intel H81 InteL Core i7-4790 3.60 GHz 64 bit Quad-Core Processor 8 MB L3 Cache
16 GB DDR3
2 TB HDD
Windows 8.1 64-Bit (will upgrade to Windows 10)
Blu-Ray Disc Combo
300W Power supply
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 4GB GDDR5 (after I buy a seperate card)

It has WLAN and all the basics put in there. I understand benefits of an SSD but it's not my priority.
Questions are can this play max for most games? What limitations will I be facing at 1080P? Should I upgrade my RAM or PSU?

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as ... gnorebbr=1
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as ... gnorebbr=1
12 replies
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 1, 2004
7923 posts
1362 upvotes
300W PSU and GTX 970 it's a no go. Definitely need to upgrade PSU
STEAM-XBL-PSN: CFRTim
Sr. Member
User avatar
Sep 12, 2012
878 posts
792 upvotes
Toronto
So everything about your build is refurbished except the video card?

awful just stick to consoles

jokes

but really it is a bad build

use this site: pcpartpicker.com and build a pc there
[OP]
Jr. Member
Jun 13, 2015
125 posts
21 upvotes
Nepean, ON
Yeah I ended up finding my way over there.

I came up with something, http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/L9DQ7h. Anything I can cut back on or does it seem to have all the essentials I'll need for what I want?

Thanks both of you for giving me the insight. Hopefully this^ will be better.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 26, 2003
35104 posts
4301 upvotes
Winnipeg
^missing ssd

you can get cheaper used 980 for that price, lots people fire selling their gpu, if you don't mind used.

if you really want to stick around $1k, then get that refurb pc from newegg and swap out psu and gpu and call it a day.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Sep 12, 2012
878 posts
792 upvotes
Toronto
theoriginalmuffins wrote: Yeah I ended up finding my way over there.

I came up with something, http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/L9DQ7h. Anything I can cut back on or does it seem to have all the essentials I'll need for what I want?

Thanks both of you for giving me the insight. Hopefully this^ will be better.
You dont need a i7 for gaming. i5 is perfect for gaming
There are many ways to get Win10 for free/cheap. (if you are a student[college/uni] you can get it for free)
Do you need an optical drive?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 26, 2013
2732 posts
277 upvotes
Mississauga, Ontario
Gunz13 wrote: You dont need a i7 for gaming. i5 is perfect for gaming
There are many ways to get Win10 for free/cheap. (if you are a student[college/uni] you can get it for free)
Do you need an optical drive?
How??
Temp. Banned
Aug 7, 2011
6623 posts
991 upvotes
Vaughan
SuperDuperFox wrote: How??
Their onthehub website.

I haven't been to Humber in years, but my ID stills works - I get Office, Windows etc. for free.

Anyone who has ever been to college or university can get the same.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2010
2390 posts
394 upvotes
Wait a couple weeks for reviews and benches for the RX 480 to come out. You can save a decent amount of money if what AMD is claiming for it is accurate.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
8428 posts
5245 upvotes
Toronto
squadz wrote: Their onthehub website.

I haven't been to Humber in years, but my ID stills works - I get Office, Windows etc. for free.

Anyone who has ever been to college or university can get the same.
huh if only I remembered or could find my 10 year old Seneca ID. Do you not need an active school email address as well?
Temp. Banned
Aug 7, 2011
6623 posts
991 upvotes
Vaughan
ReeGee wrote: huh if only I remembered or could find my 10 year old Seneca ID. Do you not need an active school email address as well?
Pretty sure you do. Easy enough to find out I think.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
8428 posts
5245 upvotes
Toronto
squadz wrote: Pretty sure you do. Easy enough to find out I think.
Ya it looks like for Seneca u need to have an active email which i'm pretty sure they don't do for alumni. maybe some other schools they let you keep your email I dunno
Temp. Banned
Aug 7, 2011
6623 posts
991 upvotes
Vaughan
ReeGee wrote: Ya it looks like for Seneca u need to have an active email which i'm pretty sure they don't do for alumni. maybe some other schools they let you keep your email I dunno
My humber one stills works 5 years later lol

Top