Looking for a computer for my mother...

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 27th, 2018 4:52 am
[OP]
May 2, 2014
443 posts
162 upvotes

Looking for a computer for my mother...

My mom works from home and depends on the computer for work. Her work largely consists of internet browsing and writing. For the past 2 or so years, various issues have become apparent with the computer, such as, blue screens of death, computer needing to do a system restore to boot up windows, etc. Given the importance of a computer for her work and the fact that i am only home for 5 days every 2-3 months, i think it is best to buy a new computer for her.

The computer's specs are:
Hp Pavilion, released 2008
Windows Vista
Core 2 Quad Q6600
4 Gigs ram
etc.. https://support.hp.com/ca-en/document/c01492749
*i did upgrade the graphics card and power supply to a ATI PowerColor 6850 and an Antec Earthwatts 500 watt- this was for my own gaming purposes back when i still lived at home.

I have been looking on BestBuy's website. BestBuy's "marketplace" feature and CanadaComputers may be options, however, i do not know of the reliability of these noname computers. I have always been used to buying brand name computers like HP from BestBuy.

Any suggestions?
14 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
19514 posts
12578 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
No-name/white box computers can be very reliable and can be relatively simple to fix as they will all use commonly available sized parts so no big worries there.

You should be concentrating on what vendor will provide the best after-sales support as you aren't home most of the time so your mother will have to deal with any issues. See if you can get one with onsite service (or pay an uplift for it) so if there are any problems, someone can come out to your house to fix the problem rather than having your mother disconnect everything to take it in to a shop for repair and then having to remember how everything was connected once the repairs are done.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
35146 posts
8556 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
She is way over due for an upgrade.

She doesn't need anything crazy.

Look for these specs

i3 or i5
8 Gigs RAM
256 or 512 Gig SSD

Should cost you around $500
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2007
15087 posts
2678 upvotes
Bring her along when buying the actual device as the jump from Vista to Win10 may be too dramatic for some people. Some people still prefer the simplicity of Win7 over Windows 8/8.1 or even 10.

Lenovo offers some rather good quality business models (#:IdeaCentre). Spend the money on a larger IPS monitor with a higher level of resolution. It will make her job a lot easier and obviously her eyes. Perhaps you can also include an ergonomic desk/chair for someone who spends a lot of time behind a keyboard (..just an idea).
Last edited by eldiablo on Dec 25th, 2018 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
May 2, 2014
443 posts
162 upvotes
that is the same tower used at my workplace... i am kind of uneasy about bringing a corporate looking pc into home. i know i know, pretty immature. on second thought, with the cost savings, maybe it can be a sufficient compromise

should i be considering refurbished computers?
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
35146 posts
8556 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
ausername wrote: should i be considering refurbished computers?
Yes, but look for a Haswell and nothing older

Corporate computers are better than consumer computers. They are designed to be more reliable.
Nov 14, 2008
833 posts
291 upvotes
Yes time for upgrade, its probably full of dust or needs some thermal paste reapplying.

Buy new, its your parental unit geeez , plus its a tax write off for them.

Like Gee said your looking for i5 +, ssd and no need for discrete graphics although there are deals for gaming desktops due to boxing day

https://www.dell.com/en-ca/shop/deals/i ... btsb_s415e
or
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/hp ... 47155.aspx?
or best (i7 )
https://www.dell.com/en-ca/shop/desktop ... btsb_s417e

ausername wrote: My mom works from home and depends on the computer for work. Her work largely consists of internet browsing and writing. For the past 2 or so years, various issues have become apparent with the computer, such as, blue screens of death, computer needing to do a system restore to boot up windows, etc. Given the importance of a computer for her work and the fact that i am only home for 5 days every 2-3 months, i think it is best to buy a new computer for her.

The computer's specs are:
Hp Pavilion, released 2008
Windows Vista
Core 2 Quad Q6600
4 Gigs ram
etc.. https://support.hp.com/ca-en/document/c01492749
*i did upgrade the graphics card and power supply to a ATI PowerColor 6850 and an Antec Earthwatts 500 watt- this was for my own gaming purposes back when i still lived at home.

I have been looking on BestBuy's website. BestBuy's "marketplace" feature and CanadaComputers may be options, however, i do not know of the reliability of these noname computers. I have always been used to buying brand name computers like HP from BestBuy.

Any suggestions?
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2002
19344 posts
997 upvotes
What's her budget BTW ?
[OP]
May 2, 2014
443 posts
162 upvotes
willy wrote: What's her budget BTW ?
not too strict on a budget, but i am thinking up to 600
[OP]
May 2, 2014
443 posts
162 upvotes
lostintransit wrote:
... and no need for discrete graphics although there are deals for gaming desktops due to boxing day
i will keep the old computer for gaming, as it has a Radeon 6850 (i dont know how good it is today). when i visit home i mostly just play left 4 dead or counter strike.

or maybe install the 6850 and PSU into the newly bought PC? would it even fit in the HP computer <https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/hp ... 47155.aspx>
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
13846 posts
3017 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
You may want to get one of those swappable HDD bays, so when things start to crash, she can easily swap drives and be up and running.

That or just show her how to swap an internal drive. If the system is on an SSD, with all her files on a 3.5" HDD, the different form factors make it pretty easy to know which to swap. You just have both SSDs in there, and all she has to do is move the cables from one to the other.
Jun 21, 2008
558 posts
148 upvotes
mississauga
Personally, i suggest look at chromebooks, i set up a non tech savvy friend with one and support calls dropped to zero
Jun 21, 2008
558 posts
148 upvotes
mississauga
To clarify, android chromebook
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2017
1436 posts
499 upvotes
An i3 or Ryzen 3 2200g should suit her just fine. Expect to pay 500 to 750. I would be considering a pc building service such as dell or hp or Lenovo.

Have you seen the Bauer systems refurb list?? Those should suit her needs as well.
are we there yet?