1547 posts
1274 upvotes
Toronto

Looking for a condo/townhouse.

Hi guys.
2 adults, combined income 150K.
1 works from home, the other commutes.
Have about 150K down payment.
Looking for a condo/townhouse with at least one parking spot.
Building has to be pet friendly; 2 rabbits. Not willing to give them up.
Prefer to be closer to Toronto.
27 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
13872 posts
8937 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
You need a realtor not RFDtor.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Dec 28, 2010
708 posts
296 upvotes
Toronto
Provide more info:
Why townhouse or condo? With current interest rates and your income can get more in suburbs.
Commutes to downtown or any other location?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2013
1547 posts
1274 upvotes
Toronto
Karma2000 wrote: Provide more info:
Why townhouse or condo? With current interest rates and your income can get more in suburbs.
Commutes to downtown or any other location?
I work downtown a lot. So I'd prefer to get my the scooter to get to GO station etc.
Kids might not be a thing for us at this point.
We currently rent a shoebox for 1400, the landlord is getting uppity.
Condo prices are starting to look reasonable downtown.
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2010
1116 posts
1306 upvotes
Toronto
You prefer a commute and more space vs a condo downtown?
Temp. Banned
Apr 29, 2010
569 posts
932 upvotes
GTA
DaMan12 wrote: You prefer a commute and more space vs a condo downtown?
Yes
Dec 28, 2010
708 posts
296 upvotes
Toronto
cowbunpants wrote: I work downtown a lot. So I'd prefer to get my the scooter to get to GO station etc.
I live in the area, so I maybe biased but condo-townhouses near square one are a good value as compared to what you would find in vicinity of downtown Toronto. Also GO Train is cheaper and with new developments planned by Oxford, Daniels, Rogers etc..,LRT ...existing Mall, Sheridan College etc....
The walk score is pretty good for some of these townhouses with doctor's office, restaurants, Starbucks, Rabba etc .there is a mix of family and young crowd as well and Celebration square hosted some pretty good events pre-covid, has skating rink etc...
Having said that you might be able to land a good deal for condo in downtown , but for townhouses, Mississauga would be my pick.
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2010
1566 posts
845 upvotes
GTA
Do you have any specific area with family and friends that you would like to be near? Are you partial to the East or West end? Central? Would you go North?

Start with a list of your desired boundaries, max willingness to commute by distance, the need for convenient public transportation or highways, and then we/you can build on this to help narrow down your choices.
Award Winning Realtor - I LOVE MY JOB!!
At the end of the day, you're the boss and need to make sure I'm worth your rate of pay!
Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
11717 posts
1596 upvotes
We bought 5 years ago on Queen west near Gladstone. Very happy with this condo and neighborhood. We are starting prep to sell it and find a townhouse now.
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2017
1448 posts
411 upvotes
Toronto
Heard good things about Daniel homes.
What happened to hurontario LRT project?
Oct 6, 2020
153 posts
151 upvotes
ysl5710 wrote: Heard good things about Daniel homes.
What happened to hurontario LRT project?
What do you mean? From Metrolinx's website, it's scheduled to be completed for Fall 2024. Since they're still rolling it out, expect at least 10 years of delay.

November 11 update:
Apr 6, 2020
90 posts
63 upvotes
Toronto
Finding a place to buy is easy... realtor.ca. Now look for an agent that will give you the best service and make the whole process as easy & seamless as possible.
GTA Real Estate Agent
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2019
1133 posts
1541 upvotes
Stouffville ON
OP, have you gotten pre-approval yet? if not contact a good mortgage broker to get pre-approval, once you have that see what you are comfortable spending, With established budget you will need to narrow down what you a looking for (area, size, etc).
Full Time and Full Service Realtor
Deal Fanatic
Mar 27, 2004
5383 posts
3277 upvotes
Toronto
senasena wrote: OP, have you gotten pre-approval yet? if not contact a good mortgage broker to get pre-approval, once you have that see what you are comfortable spending, With established budget you will need to narrow down what you a looking for (area, size, etc).
good advice
Full-time Realtor
Dec 19, 2012
61 posts
29 upvotes
Toronto
Hi gents,
I had question I am first time homebuyer and I been approved for 800000 and I got 20% down payment. I live in Toronto so that type of money doesn't go that far but I want to get your guys take would it be better just to buy a detached home in Toronto as I was looking to live upstairs and rent out the basement or is it better to buy a town house somewhere surrounding city of Toronto which will be somewhat cheaper and then with the left over money try to buy a condo given its somewhat of a buyers market? If you guys have any other suggestion as I want to maximize the money would greatly appreciated.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2019
1133 posts
1541 upvotes
Stouffville ON
promiseland wrote: Hi gents,
I had question I am first time homebuyer and I been approved for 800000 and I got 20% down payment. I live in Toronto so that type of money doesn't go that far but I want to get your guys take would it be better just to buy a detached home in Toronto as I was looking to live upstairs and rent out the basement or is it better to buy a town house somewhere surrounding city of Toronto which will be somewhat cheaper and then with the left over money try to buy a condo given its somewhat of a buyers market? If you guys have any other suggestion as I want to maximize the money would greatly appreciated.
Affordability aside look at the lifestyle. Are you ok with someone living in your house? There are many challenges that go with it, noise transmission and soundproofing is one, also these type of properties are in a very high demand since for many poeple it's the one of the ways to get into the market, and investors are looking for properties with two unit rental potential.
Full Time and Full Service Realtor