Home & Garden

Looking for a cordless electric lawn mower with thoughts of a snowblower as well

  • Last Updated:
  • Aug 18th, 2021 3:30 pm
[OP]
Newbie
Mar 7, 2010
71 posts
40 upvotes
Toronto

Looking for a cordless electric lawn mower with thoughts of a snowblower as well

I'm looking to buy a cordless electric lawnmower now and I am also planning for a snowblower for the winter. Is there anything out there that you would recommend, where I can interchange the battery for both machines?

I have a small lawn of around 600 square foot. For the snowblower, the driveway I have covers around the area of 4 sedans.

Thanks in advance
19 replies
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11946 posts
7118 upvotes
Paris
Ryobi. They are introducing a 2 stage full size snowblower this winter, and I can speak for their lawn mower being excellent.
[OP]
Newbie
Mar 7, 2010
71 posts
40 upvotes
Toronto
Jerico wrote: Ryobi. They are introducing a 2 stage full size snowblower this winter, and I can speak for their lawn mower being excellent.
Thanks, is that on a 40v battery?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 30, 2005
1849 posts
1434 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
misaki1111 wrote: I'm looking to buy a cordless electric lawnmower now and I am also planning for a snowblower for the winter. Is there anything out there that you would recommend, where I can interchange the battery for both machines?

I have a small lawn of around 600 square foot. For the snowblower, the driveway I have covers around the area of 4 sedans.

Thanks in advance
I bought a Kobalt 80v snowblower a few years back as it was on clearance for pennies. Just recently bought the Kobalt 80v lawn mower that was on clearance because their batteries are interchangeable. For a decent size lawn and drive way, it is good enough. Very quiet operation.
[OP]
Newbie
Mar 7, 2010
71 posts
40 upvotes
Toronto
ZxExN wrote: I bought a Kobalt 80v snowblower a few years back as it was on clearance for pennies. Just recently bought the Kobalt 80v lawn mower that was on clearance because their batteries are interchangeable. For a decent size lawn and drive way, it is good enough. Very quiet operation.
How much was the snowblower? Looks like the lawnmower is on sale for 729 at lowes.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 30, 2005
1849 posts
1434 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
misaki1111 wrote: How much was the snowblower? Looks like the lawnmower is on sale for 729 at lowes.
It was on clearance for under 200. I just bought the mower you mentioned from lowes for 499. Price may be different in store for these clearance items.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11946 posts
7118 upvotes
Paris
misaki1111 wrote: Thanks, is that on a 40v battery?
I think it will require 2 40v and will run at 80v. I have only been told about it by people who have seen it, I dont think its announced yet, but was supposed to be live for this season.
Sr. Member
Dec 9, 2013
763 posts
715 upvotes
Toronto
I also have the 21" 80V kobalt lawn mower, snow blower and weed whacker. They're all great, no complaints for 2 years of use now.

Got them all on clearance from Lowe's. $399 for the 80V lawn mower and 2 batteries, $129 for the snow blower (tool only) and $67 for the weed whacker (tool only).
Jr. Member
Jun 2, 2015
109 posts
65 upvotes
Toronto
Was looking to go the EGO route for cordless mower. But so many different options of this brand and they never ever ever go on sale. I have EGO edger and blower. Both work great. So want to keep batteries family Univesal. Having said that still on the fence between gas vs battery lawnmower. EGO makes snowblowers too. Anyone have any reviews they care to share about EGO lawnmower would be awesome.

Thx
[OP]
Newbie
Mar 7, 2010
71 posts
40 upvotes
Toronto
miscbrah1 wrote: I also have the 21" 80V kobalt lawn mower, snow blower and weed whacker. They're all great, no complaints for 2 years of use now.

Got them all on clearance from Lowe's. $399 for the 80V lawn mower and 2 batteries, $129 for the snow blower (tool only) and $67 for the weed whacker (tool only).
Those are fantastic prices!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6659 posts
1339 upvotes
There are a lot of reviews on EGO equipment on YouTube. They make wonderful stuff, top of the line in battery equipment, but you pay dearly for it.
Sr. Member
Mar 14, 2018
946 posts
902 upvotes
GTA
416Tom wrote: Was looking to go the EGO route for cordless mower. But so many different options of this brand and they never ever ever go on sale. I have EGO edger and blower. Both work great. So want to keep batteries family Univesal. Having said that still on the fence between gas vs battery lawnmower. EGO makes snowblowers too. Anyone have any reviews they care to share about EGO lawnmower would be awesome.

Thx
My EGO 21" lawn mower actually uses a different battery compared to my EGO leaf blower, string trimmer, and hedge trimmer. Which is fine for my situation as each battery lasts long enough for each device group task.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 23, 2009
3670 posts
1205 upvotes
Oshawa, ON
clutch31 wrote: My EGO 21" lawn mower actually uses a different battery compared to my EGO leaf blower, string trimmer, and hedge trimmer. Which is fine for my situation as each battery lasts long enough for each device group task.
Not sure what you mean by this? Are you saying you have a combination of their residential and commercial tools? Otherwise, they are cross compatible with all their tools from the same line.
Jr. Member
Jun 2, 2015
109 posts
65 upvotes
Toronto
EnyCe wrote: Not sure what you mean by this? Are you saying you have a combination of their residential and commercial tools? Otherwise, they are cross compatible with all their tools from the same line.
I think I know what he means. The actual battery is same size but the amps on them vary depending on the product. 2.0 ,2.5, 5 amps. Mine are 2.5 and 2.0 for blower and edger. Believe lawnmower is 5 or 7. Regardless pretty sure they fit all products just depends on different run times per battery amp.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11946 posts
7118 upvotes
Paris
416Tom wrote: I think I know what he means. The actual battery is same size but the amps on them vary depending on the product. 2.0 ,2.5, 5 amps. Mine are 2.5 and 2.0 for blower and edger. Believe lawnmower is 5 or 7. Regardless pretty sure they fit all products just depends on different run times per battery amp.
The newest Ryobi batteries that will be coming with the snowblower are physically a different size and sadly wont fit in the older style lawn mowers. At 9aH they are physically large. The post is the same, but old mowers dont have the space. They work for everything else though.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 31, 2008
12812 posts
2915 upvotes
Toronto
416Tom wrote: Was looking to go the EGO route for cordless mower. But so many different options of this brand and they never ever ever go on sale. I have EGO edger and blower. Both work great. So want to keep batteries family Univesal. Having said that still on the fence between gas vs battery lawnmower. EGO makes snowblowers too. Anyone have any reviews they care to share about EGO lawnmower would be awesome.

Thx
I have snow blower. I have 4 car square drive way. I really like it. I'm in Toronto East near Pickering so not crazy amount of snow but easily does the job. Reviews on YouTube are accurate. Prob wet wet and heavy snow it can be challenged.

Pretty light and easy to store.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 23, 2009
3670 posts
1205 upvotes
Oshawa, ON
416Tom wrote: I think I know what he means. The actual battery is same size but the amps on them vary depending on the product. 2.0 ,2.5, 5 amps. Mine are 2.5 and 2.0 for blower and edger. Believe lawnmower is 5 or 7. Regardless pretty sure they fit all products just depends on different run times per battery amp.
That's the same battery, just a different capacity. The weight is also entirely different and definitely not the same size. As the capacity increases, so does the physical size (have you seen the goliath 10Ah battery??). The voltage, power output and fitment remains the same.

The 2.5Ah batteries are designed/only come with the lighter tools such as the trimmer so you won't fatigue as much and where run-time isn't much of a priority. I personally only use 5.0Ah batteries for my EGO tools and use their neck straps to ease the fatigue.

I have the multi-tool (trimmer + edger), 650CFM blower, and 21" SP mower. Looking into their snow blowers maybe sometime this year.
Jr. Member
Jun 2, 2015
109 posts
65 upvotes
Toronto
EnyCe wrote: That's the same battery, just a different capacity. The weight is also entirely different and definitely not the same size. As the capacity increases, so does the physical size (have you seen the goliath 10Ah battery??). The voltage, power output and fitment remains the same.

The 2.5Ah batteries are designed/only come with the lighter tools such as the trimmer so you won't fatigue as much and where run-time isn't much of a priority. I personally only use 5.0Ah batteries for my EGO tools and use their neck straps to ease the fatigue.

I have the multi-tool (trimmer + edger), 650CFM blower, and 21" SP mower. Looking into their snow blowers maybe sometime this year.
Thanks for the feedback! How much your mower cost you they never go on sale!? I guess Self Propelled is the way to go now? Never had this feature but im sure its nice to have.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 23, 2009
3670 posts
1205 upvotes
Oshawa, ON
416Tom wrote:
Thanks for the feedback! How much your mower cost you they never go on sale!? I guess Self Propelled is the way to go now? Never had this feature but im sure its nice to have.
Buy used and wait for a deal on Kijiji. Once a lawn mower goes up for sale, it's gone within an hour. EGO is a premium brand and doesn't need to go on sale. SP is only useful if you have a large lawn or if you have a slope they you need to get around. I only got this one cause I scored it for $350 on Kijiji.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jun 12, 2007
18591 posts
6029 upvotes
London
Last year was a one off for cheap prices

Ego was on clearance was last year when they moved from being exclusive at Home Depot to Lowes. Home Depot blew out remaining Ego stock for cheap. When Ego went to Lowes Canada, Lowes blew out remaining Kobalt 80V stuff to dirt cheap to make room.

Top