• Last Updated:
  • Jul 4th, 2019 1:21 am
Mar 3, 2011
110 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto

looking for a decent used van or crossover SUV

Total budget :$16 000
looking for a van or SUV with 3rd row seats for family and kids.
which brand I should be looking at? and year?
And maximum mileage?
I see lot's of Dodges Journey's on sales
22 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 8, 2009
6236 posts
4776 upvotes
Ontario
Can you hear the drums - Orlando?
I remember long ago another boxy ride like this.
Deal Addict
May 9, 2003
2188 posts
1681 upvotes
maximius wrote: Total budget :$16 000
And maximum mileage?
Dodge Caravan
Mar 3, 2011
110 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto
Are the Dodge Caravan reliable?
Apr 22, 2019
492 posts
606 upvotes
I’d recommend you look at a Chevy traverse, but avoid the earlier ones (for example the 2009s) they’re pretty good bang for your buck used and have very roomy third rows, much better than most competitors. If you plan on using the third row often I would NOT recommend a journey, it’s tiny, it’s also not a very reliable vehicle and is not anything interesting to drive. If you really do care about space though, just go with a minivan, like a used sienna, nothing moves kids better than a van
Deal Addict
May 9, 2003
2188 posts
1681 upvotes
maximius wrote: Are the Dodge Caravan reliable?
A used Dodge Grand Caravan would be a viable option within your price category. Reliability depends on the vehicle, and with used, there are many more unknown factors to answer your question.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 8, 2009
6236 posts
4776 upvotes
Ontario
maximius wrote: Are the Dodge Caravan reliable?
I own a 2003 and owned a 2014 for 4 years. My experience is they are reliable but RFD is not the place to get a balanced view as RFD folklore is that Toyotas are bulletproof (my Toyota has had the most problems of any car I have owned BTW).

If you are looking at a Grand Caravan go for post 2013 for the bigger rotors/brakes with 17in standard rims.

Also 2018 MY onwards have enhanced side curtain airbags to meet the latest US safety regs.

These vehicles have been out a long time and most wrinkles have been ironed out.
Deal Addict
May 9, 2003
2188 posts
1681 upvotes
Martin (deal addict) wrote: I own a 2003 and owned a 2014 for 4 years. My experience is they are reliable but RFD is not the place to get a balanced view as RFD folklore is that Toyotas are bulletproof (my Toyota has had the most problems of any car I have owned BTW).

If you are looking at a Grand Caravan go for post 2013 for the bigger rotors/brakes with 17in standard rims.

Also 2018 MY onwards have enhanced side curtain airbags to meet the latest US safety regs.

These vehicles have been out a long time and most wrinkles have been ironed out.
Curious as to what enhanced side curtain airbags entail?

There is a reason this is the number #1 selling van. I rented one in the US and it was a very good family hauler. Could it be better? Sure! But you also have to consider the lower price tag.
Deal Fanatic
May 4, 2014
5217 posts
7141 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Martin (deal addict) wrote: I own a 2003 and owned a 2014 for 4 years. My experience is they are reliable but RFD is not the place to get a balanced view as RFD folklore is that Toyotas are bulletproof (my Toyota has had the most problems of any car I have owned BTW).
Trust this guy, RFD is definitely folklore, but Martin, being a RFD deal addict, definitely knows what he's talking about when it comes to cars and his experience with his two Caravans and one Toyota sets the perfect example.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15881 posts
10565 upvotes
Toronto
maximius wrote: Total budget :$16 000
And maximum mileage?
How about a GM full size? I'm talking like a savana? Get a used one with a v8 and tons of space.
DIY difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Deal Fanatic
Jan 8, 2009
6236 posts
4776 upvotes
Ontario
er34er34 wrote: Trust this guy, RFD is definitely folklore, but Martin, being a RFD deal addict, definitely knows what he's talking about when it comes to cars and his experience with his two Caravans and one Toyota sets the perfect example.
Lets hear your personal experience on the subject matter please. If you have nothing of value to add move on.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 8, 2009
6236 posts
4776 upvotes
Ontario
bizzyseller wrote: Curious as to what enhanced side curtain airbags entail?

There is a reason this is the number #1 selling van. I rented one in the US and it was a very good family hauler. Could it be better? Sure! But you also have to consider the lower price tag.
- larger bags to fully cover window openings
- more robust bags that stay inflated longer
- side-curtain airbags must deploy in side-on collisions and rollovers.

I have had good experience with FCA. Most people who knock FCA products reiterate second hand experiences or talk about vehicles from years ago. Sure they have had some poor products/components like other manufacturers but a bit of research usually weeds them out of a shortlist.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2004
2312 posts
907 upvotes
Montreal
We have a 2016 Dodge Grand Caravan.
We are pleased with it. With a family of 5 it's great for hauling all the kids stuff.
It's been reliable so far and for the price paid I have nothing bad to say.
We had one minor problem with climate control past warranty. We had it repaired at the dealer and wrote a letter to FCA, who then wrote back with a cheque!
Mar 3, 2011
110 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto
I'm hesitating between this vans, there are basically at the same price tag at 19 k:
Sienna 2013......100 000 km
Honda Pilot 2012 ..... 135 000 KM
Nissan Pathfinder 2014.....55 000 km
Honda Odyssey 2014 .....85 000 km
Last edited by maximius on Jul 2nd, 2019 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2006
1085 posts
900 upvotes
out of those 4 I would go Sienna
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4695 posts
4968 upvotes
GTA
Why not the Odyssey? It's newer with less km's.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 8, 2009
6236 posts
4776 upvotes
Ontario
derass wrote: Why not the Odyssey? It's newer with less km's.
Because many on here see it as their duty to recommend Toyota regardless.
Nov 7, 2017
534 posts
571 upvotes
Durham
maximius wrote: I'm hesitating between this vans, there are basically at the same price tag at 19 k:
Sienna 2013......100 000 km
Honda Pilot 2012 ..... 135 000 KM
Nissan Pathfinder 2014.....55 000 km
Honda Odyssey 2014 .....85 000 km
I would rule out the Pathfinder and go with any of the other 3
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
21699 posts
17373 upvotes
Markham
I'm on my second Dodge Grand Caravan. First one (1998 model) I bought 4 yrs old used and it lasted 10 yrs before I sold it...That van was still running at the twenty yr mark. My current Caravan is 7 yrs old. Both vans were/are reliable and no major issues other than standard maintenance. You will find complaints online about Caravan as you will with any car....the reason you hear more is attributed to pure numbers. Fiat Chrysler sold 270,000 minivans in 2018 (Honda sold 106,000 vans and Toyota sold 87,000 vans).

For versatility you cannot go wrong with a van...it will cost less and you can do more with it. You will not regret the additional space your get. The third row on a Journey is ridiculous (when I looked at it)....try putting an adult back there and you'll see what I mean.

Dodge Grand Caravan is the best van for a given budget....if you work hard in your search you will find a good one for a very good price due to the amount of supply. With 2019 vehicles coming out, you can probably get a 2016/2017 Caravan. The high rate of depreciation is in your favour. The 2nd and 3rd row stow and go on the Caravan is fantastic...no removing seats and storing them.

IMO stay away from power trunk/side doors as they breakdown and aren't cheap to fix.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Mar 3, 2011
110 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto
Jigsaw wrote: out of those 4 I would go Sienna
Unfortunately the Sienna was very dirty inside, obvious the previous owner wasn't taking care of it, I also noticed some rust under the bumper, so it's a No No for me
there is another Sienna 2012 that still available, with same price, almost same mileage, very clean.
There is also a Ford Explorer 2015, 50 000 km, w/ 7 seats at the same price